Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Postby StanleyComics » June 20th, 2018, 2:05 am

Sam November from page 1 of issue 1, verses himself in his Spitfire alter ego from page 11 of issue 2:

The first pages of issue 1, I used to draw on paper, pencil them in and then ink them with a black ballpoint pen, as seen with Sam's more organic lines. I was still not exactly sure what type of colouring style I'd go for. Sam's face on the first image is sorta different, the eyes are a little smaller, the hair is kinda different-ish. No highlights in the hair, minimal lightplay. The second image shows a more cartoonised style, I moved onto making lineart and sketching digitally, so I'd be able to make smaller details easier.
The scene requires more dramatic lighting, more contrast, etc. Also, I started playing around with the shades of the skin, while back then, I just kept it a flat colour. And the hair has highlights. All in all, noticeable changes indeed xD
StanleyComics

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » June 20th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Sounds fun =D

It took ten years for Atty to grow some glasses. Nahh those are just temporary. I do find it funny though that as time has passed he's actually seemed to have gotten younger. He's finally starting to look like a mid teen boy I think, rather than a vaguely aged anime man.

George got cuter I think. In a dorky way.

My characters have changed a lot I think, over the years... And will continue to change. I don't try to be very precious about keeping things consistent, much happier to just see if I can try make things better somehow xD
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby Respheal » June 21st, 2018, 7:18 am

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:[Atty and George]

Atty's also had his hair styled by fire multiple times now.

Conan (Spring 2016 vs last week)
ImageImage

Din (Spring 2016 vs last week and another a month ago)
ImageImageImage
Ahahahaha I had a hard time finding a recent shot of Din from the waist up so here's one of him about to punch Conan's lights out yay (added one with a more passive expression since....yeah. But I'm also seeing issues with it >_>)

Strange amorphous blobs to maybe vaguely anime actual humans? xD
I still have a long way to go =3= My biggest problem right now is all my drawing time is exclusively for getting the next page done before update date so I haven't had time to sit down and actually focus on improvement x.x
Respheal

Postby Ypsilenna » June 21st, 2018, 8:48 am

Respheal wrote:Image

This picture is very pretty, that's an amazing progress! When did you add that yellow outline in his eyes though? I haven't read your comic yet and I don't see that element in the oldest drawing.
Ypsilenna

Postby Jim Nickabocker » June 21st, 2018, 9:47 am

As someone who is a writer to a collaborative comic, I've worked with quite a few artists whose styles helped shape the feel and direction of the format and story. It went from goofy one shots to short arcs that tell stories. Also it went from anime/manga inspired to a more stylized look.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jim Nickabocker

Postby Respheal » June 21st, 2018, 10:39 am

Ypsilenna wrote:
Respheal wrote:[art improvement \o/]

This picture is very pretty, that's an amazing progress! When did you add that yellow outline in his eyes though? I haven't read your comic yet and I don't see that element in the oldest drawing.

Thank you!! :'D Story-wise, it's supposed to have always been there (and I need to go back and edit some of the oldest pages to either add it or make it stand out better), but I started more consistently adding it around the middle of chapter two and finally figured out how to make it stand out more in chapter four ^^
Respheal

Postby YunikoYokai » June 21st, 2018, 11:42 am

Sounds good!

...holy moly O_O I remember my comic being bad before the redos late last year, but my god, looking back...
YunikoYokai

Postby C.E.F. » June 22nd, 2018, 5:53 pm

Yikes! The first is from after I learned color is good (earlier pages were super muddy because I was scared of color) but before I learned how to really use shading to my advantage. I remember being sooo proud of it, bleh. Then again, in two years I probably won't like anything from now.
I've also since changed what I use to draw (from medibang paint on an Android tablet to a parblo graphics monitor with CSP) which definitely kicked my work up a notch. Supplies don't have much of an effect on your work, but learning how to use a new program does facilitate growth in that you have to step out of my comfort zone.

Sadly, my handwriting is still the same :p
C.E.F.

Postby Seve » June 22nd, 2018, 8:02 pm

Man I loved this, it's so great to check out how everyone changed and polished their style and technique. I just can't get enough of it, and there's always so much room to learn and improve. Here are my guys from their cringey start last year until today. Eli (the readhead) evolved almost Pokémon style, inconsistent author is inconsistent and kinda muerdered the original character design, but it was unintentional. He kinda chose to change little by little until he got the looks that fit his personality. Nathan didn't change as much but his face got more angular and his hair crazier. Everyone's hair got crazier.
I'm working on anatomy (references and randomly doodling help a lot) and learning to shade and colour. I have a long, loooong way to go but it's so much fun. :D
Seve

Postby UrbanMysticDee » June 22nd, 2018, 9:51 pm

Mel's all I've got on such short notice. I'll try to come up with something more comprehensive eventually.

2002-2006
Spoiler! :

2008-2009
Spoiler! :

2014-Present
Spoiler! :
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Famimatsu » June 22nd, 2018, 10:06 pm

IPN's been through a lot... like, almost hilariously so. It suffered so much development hell that it's gone through 3 iterations before it's current final form.
That being said, here's a panel of its first iteration from 2009, verses page 26 of its public release in 2018.
Famimatsu

Postby Valigarmander » June 22nd, 2018, 11:54 pm

When I started my comic it was just something I would do in my spare time in MS Paint. When I started devoting more time to it, I switched to drawing/inking my strips conventionally and then scanning them. I'm very happy with the progress I've made. Working on this strip has been an exercise in drawing for me, and my artstyle has changed a lot over the years as I've gotten better at form, perspective, shading, and details like backgrounds or folds in clothing.

Also, at some point I abandoned Powerpuff Girls anatomy and started drawing noses on my characters.
Valigarmander

Postby Vitotamito » June 24th, 2018, 2:11 am

My first comic on this site was in 2006 when I'd just graduated high school. Now here I am 12 years later redrawing this panel. What a ride.
Spoiler! :
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Oly-RRR » June 24th, 2018, 8:22 pm

I wanted to post here again but didn't have the energy to put together Chance's evolution so here's a brief history of Leicester sitting behind desks and maybe saving the queen from ninjas since 2012:

He doesn't have the glasses in the last (newest) image because it's a flashback - I figured he didn't have those when he was younger but the moustache stayed in the flashback because I think he had it since it was physically possible at all. In his son's headcanon he was just born with it, like a pokemon full of manliness and justice. He was always supposed to look like a typical secondary cop from an old cop show (and funnily enough, I found a Met recruitment video from 1980 with a guy looking exactly like Les would look way back when he joined the force) and over the years I got better at drawing the older, rounder and more squared away Leicester. It would be fun to have another go at Houston's idealized headcanon of him sometime too (see 2014) but that'd be very close to Mr Gar anyway. I guess I'm not alone when it comes to poking fun at the Stereotypical Manliness Ideal. :lol:

YE MIGHTY REPLY SECTION

Valigarmander wrote:I'm very happy with the progress I've made.

And you should be! :D Also putting whole panels next to each other like that shows the overall story tone changing too.

Famimatsu wrote:IPN's been through a lot... like, almost hilariously so. It suffered so much development hell that it's gone through 3 iterations before it's current final form.

I can relate! I start thinking that's a regular thing for any long-form comics, especially before we figure out when we're getting into with a very long-form comic. Like, I used to wish for a project I could stick with for years and it was the typical "be careful what you wish for" development because I had to learn how to deal/live with inconsistencies way more than when none of my comics lasted over 2 years.

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:I don't try to be very precious about keeping things consistent, much happier to just see if I can try make things better somehow xD

That shall be my new mantra. :mrgreen: But yeah, it's cool to see all the changes in other artists' comics, just harder to apply the same positive outlook to your own art. Btw, I love how the way you draw hair went from regular anime to hairier (it's especially noticeable on George) and then a more simplified shape but still looking hairy enough.

Glueckskeks wrote:Aside from me getting better at drawing some things

-and levelling up your watercolour skills! :mrgreen:

eishiya wrote:I love how the characters seem to have gotten a bit more subtly stylised and distinct :>

Just what I was thinking! :D

Ypsilenna wrote:I picked every shade by hand and every color was on a separate layer. Needless to say that it wasn't a very efficient way of drawing the comic.

Aaaah I used to do that at some point too!! Bad old times, I'm glad they are behind us.

JoKeR wrote:Btw. This is the same shirt ...it's only a few days since the attack of the village in Book one.
I have to become faster or I can't finish this story in my lifetime. :?

Hah, another reminder that I'm not the only one (though admittedly your comic is much longer than mine at this point). I just sometimes feel really frustrated with how time flows inside and outside the pages. :P

Lutztoons wrote: I learned a lot of interesting things from those types of books, but they were often littered with terrible advice that I couldn't parse out because of my age and lack of experience. Lots of misleading stuff floating around back then, especially for a young artist. Oh well, there's a lot of good reference material out there nowadays like you said and it's great to see people unafraid of making characters of different body types. :mrgreen:

Yeah, pretty much! Like, you might not even agree with it as a kid but it still gets into your system, like "oh, okay, I guess I shouldn't have women OCs at all then because I don't want to draw them like that and there's no other option" (I was literally thinking that until my uh... mid-20s???

FAST-FORWARD TO 2014 and I'm getting annoyed over Epic's director actually saying "You don't see too many female heroines in animated movies with combat style boots and a hoodie" and ...yeaaah, no, you gave your lead 100% stereotypical Female Lead Character design and you're bragging about a hoodie and no heels? :roll:

Lutztoons wrote:AND I JUST NOTICED THAT NOSEBLEED GUY IN THE BACKSEAT IN YOUR HIGH-FIVE ART

You can guess the people responsible for the nosebleed even without reading that page. u_u
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby kayotics » June 24th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Okay, I've finally decided to gather all the stuff needed for Toivo's evolution.

I know my comic is pretty new (only about a year old), but I've actually been drawing Toivo for a much longer time. He originally started out as a Dungeons & Dragons character (hence the magic and wizardry) that I felt way too strongly about. The first time I played him was during a one night game in December of 2013, but when I got to play in a longer game, I used him again.

Pretty much the only thing that's really the same from those first drawings is his MASSIVE eyebrows, and the fact that he has a facial scar (it changed locations, though).
Spoiler! :

Next couple years I was in the dungeons and dragons campaign, so I just kept drawing him. Most of the drawings I did were relevant to what was happening in the game, but these ones are just nicer drawings I did. (note the squirrel. In the game, that squirrel later turned into a small golden dragon...) He also got a couple haircuts during the course of the game.
Spoiler! :

At the end of the game, he had gone through a number of physical changes, including his eye color changing and his hair getting an orange streak of color in it. At this point, I was starting to run out of ideas for drawing Toivo. I still loved drawing him, but I didn't have any new content to produce with him in it. This is about where I decided I was going to make a comic. It all really amounts to me not wanting to give up drawing my favorite character. The last two images are from Toivo's first appearance in the comic and one of his latest appearances.
Spoiler! :
kayotics

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion