Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Postby Valigarmander » May 23rd, 2019, 8:59 am

A panel each from 2013, 2016, and 2019.

Apart from general growth in artistic ability and evolution of character designs, the main differences are bigger and more detailed panels, and the addition of color. (Well, dichromatic color at least.) Can't wait to see how this comic looks in three more years. :)
Valigarmander

Postby mitchellbravo » May 23rd, 2019, 9:43 pm

I could have sworn I posted some of this here ages ago. I had to go find my files on imgur.

This shows the initial cast concept sketches, and also some images from chapters of the comic that are now no longer canon, which freed me up to change the characters' personalities in writing(thank god)

Sadly my updating sharply dropped off since these images were made, as I had a loping hiatus from 2015 thru just this year. The final pictures in this series show pretty much the peak of my abilities anyway. I've drawn most all of the cast since then but can't find good images worth cutting and sharing for this thread.

Aggie
Spoiler! :

Aggie was originally supposed to be quiet and shy, a simple spirit who enjoyed peace and nature~ She then became like kind of massively a dick, though I've toned that back over the years. (THOUGH IT WILL RAMP UP AGAIN I'M SURE.) It took a long time to figure out how to render freckles because I was stupid.

Clarabelle
Spoiler! :

Clarabelle meanwhile has always from the start been one of those people who can easily carry the whole conversation, she was a little bit more hokey back in the beginning though. She's always been intended as curvy although as you can see aside from the initial sketch it took a while to figure out how to carry it in her face.

Cecilia
Spoiler! :

Cecilia started off as kind of a Veronica Lodge character, stereotypically spoiled and wealthy, but she's chilled out a lot. She is probably my most grounded character at this point.

Eddie
Spoiler! :

Whenever I made any series, I always had at least one character who was a wisecracking troublemaker, and originally it was Eddie. These days he's pretty much the shyest in the bunch, partly due to personality and partly due to speech impediment. He also has the longest fucking face on the earth but that seems to be a constant thorughout the character design shift

Joseph
Spoiler! :

Precious, humble, cheerful Joseph didn't last a year before transforming into the charmingly egotistic ball of fury he is these days. Originally he and his brother Ulysses were supposed to have an antagonistic relationship to the point of I actually had envisioned like, a death battle between them. Spoilers, I guess, but I don't see this death battle coming anytime soon. Like Uly was supposed to slit Joseph's fucking throat I really don't know what was going through my head 10 years ago.

Leon
Spoiler! :

Leon was originally supposed to just be a side character but his extreme cuteness quickly elevated him to honorary main cast member. As a kid I always hated the glasses-so-thick-you-can't-see-the-characters-eyes art trope but for some reason it felt really right for him.

Marie
Spoiler! :

Marie was really feminine and delicate to start off, but over time has become more androgynous in appearance. Her more recent appearance might ahve been worth including here, seeing as her hair has grown out a bit since the 5 years since 2014 (and... 2 months of story time) have elapsed. She's probably changed the most in physical appearance since the original concept skethc.

Tony
Spoiler! :

Tony, I love you, and you've barely changed at all. I think I originally wanted him to be a ball player or like obsessed with baseball as a fan but that didn't pan out, but otherwise his personality is mostly the same as it was, I mean god, he's making like the same face in most of these pictures and wearing the same (work) outfit even.

Ulysses
Spoiler! :

Sort of a reverse-Leon, Uly was written as a main character but hasn't appeared in the proper storyline since 2013. Look into the eyes of 2008 Uly and see the malicious, Cain-like brother intended to kill Joseph. Uly went from being a conniving, malevolent, maligned older brother to a simple dude with more common sense than he gives himself credit for.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I feel really depressed about how bad my art has become since 2014 but maybe it will get good again so liek thanks for the hope I guess.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Pencilz » June 11th, 2019, 9:39 pm

First page vs latest page!
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (361.6 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Pencilz

Their personalities didn't change, though.

Postby Cope » June 16th, 2019, 4:26 am

Eleven years can change a person.

Cope

Postby HolyGoldenCarter » June 17th, 2019, 9:24 pm

ArtStyleProgression.png
(267.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
HolyGoldenCarter

Postby applejuice3107 » June 20th, 2019, 12:31 am

I started planning a Nuzlocke comic back in 2017. Not sure when I'll finish it or even release it though...

Anyway, here is Flare in 2017. In here, Flare looks more boyish and is missing her signature hat. Her eyes are black.

Here is Flare, 2018. She now has her signature hat and eyes with actual color. Her head is slightly rounder and her hair color is a bit lighter.

Finally, here is the 2019 Flare. I drew her really recently, about two days ago. Her clothes, eyes, and hair have more details. Flare's clothes look more like something a trainer would actually wear. She even has proper eyebrows! Flare's Nuzlocke (the comic's name) has changed from a cartoon to an anime ;) .

P.S. I drew all of them with a mouse and my wrist felt weird afterwards :lol:

EDIT: I messed up with the images, oops. :oops:
Attachments
Flare 2018.jpg
Flare 2018.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Flare after.jpg
Flare after.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
FLARE BEFORE.jpg
FLARE BEFORE.jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Last edited by applejuice3107 on June 20th, 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applejuice3107

Postby eishiya » June 20th, 2019, 8:51 am

applejuice3107, none of your image embeds are working D:
eishiya

Postby applejuice3107 » June 20th, 2019, 10:26 pm

eishiya wrote:applejuice3107, none of your image embeds are working D:

Sorry, should be fixed now.
applejuice3107

Postby jellyfishin » June 21st, 2019, 8:44 am

applejuice3107 wrote:
P.S. I drew all of them with a mouse and my wrist felt weird afterwards :lol:

If you're experiencing wrist issues, you might want to take a look into stretching exercises for arm/wrist pain, or check to see if you're moving the mouse properly (you should be moving the mouse via the elbow and not the wrist).
jellyfishin

Postby EveVon » June 28th, 2019, 3:15 am

Now my comic art style and my regular art style are very different so I'll show a progress for both :3

First the evolution of my regular art style, even though the last drawing is from 2018 so already kinda old. This isn't really a character, just a drawing I choose to repaint every so often to show my art evolution:
Spoiler! :

Now I don't really have many comic pages -yet- but I do have some examples from my buffer pages. Even so, between each of these examples there's only 10-15 pages space, my comic art is really inconsistent :x

Spoiler! :
EveVon

Postby Dilly » June 28th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Ohhhh man I love this sort of thing-- when I first started making a comic with these characters, it was back in 2013-14. I think Ive come a long way when it comes to structure/drawing? 2013 vs 2019!!

Dilly

Postby MaruExposito » June 29th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I love this thread!
And Dilly your character's design and evolutions are so great. Such a page color mastery *_*

Here's Wendel:
- Chapter 1 is quite a manga (comic) style.
- He becomes SUPER anime on during the short film lol. His clothing changed to keep it simple! The eyes got taller.
- From chapter 2 end he turns more "soft/innocent" and settles in some proportions.

The years are as per the creation date. 2019's work is not public yet :)
Webcomic + Anime
What if your magic separates you from who you love?
MaruExposito

Postby yaaboa » July 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm

This comic is my first venture into art. I've only really been doing this since August of last year, but it's almost been a year and I figured that I would post this before I forgot about the thread.

The first image is of Frank, who is kind of the mascot character and shows up fairly regularly. Starting from the left (and insert) is the first comic page that I did. The middle is from around December and the last is from May. My drawing ability hasn't really changed a whole bunch between the last two.
Spoiler! :

The next two have Paul and Martha, two of the main characters from the current storyline (with Leon, AKA Archibald Cumberbunch Leonidus, AKA "Skippy", AKA "Big Delicious"). The left picture being from early November and the right being from mid-May. I kind of honestly like the simpler style and sometimes think I'm doing too much detail for just a jokey comic strip. But, I also wanted to try to improve using this comic as a motivation to draw.
Spoiler! :

I'm posting these next two because it makes me laugh how much trouble I've had with deer. Especially deer legs. Even when using using references, I get them backwards or at odd angles. It's like I have deer leg dyslexia. Or, deerlegsia.

This is Leon, a fawn:
Spoiler! :

He's appeared a few times earlier than the early November picture on the left, but just barely. Clearly, I wasn't really trying to do a good job, and the legs are just stilts. The second picture is one month later and I've given him some joints to his legs and acknoledged that he's supposed to have hooves of some kind. The picture on the right was done at the end of February after I had drawn a lot more deer. Not well, mind you. Just had a lot more deer to draw.

More deerlegsia… These all were drawn at about the same time, but was done between the second and third pictures in the "Leon" image. It's just showing some of the weird, mistaken, awkward, and sometimes intentionally wrongly drawn deer and deer legs that I did in that chapter
Spoiler! :

My biggest issue is consistency now (also backgrounds), which partly has to do with how much time I have to spend on the comic each week. I feel like I haven't really improved all that much in the past few months, but that is probably due to a bunch of factors including my own perception.

Anyways, thank you for this thread and thank you to everyone who read this post. I've really enjoyed seeing how people have improved over time and I hope to be able to make more improvements myself as time goes on.
yaaboa

Previous

Return to General Discussion