Is smackjeeves dead?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Is smackjeeves dead?

Postby AshenSkye » April 19th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Some of us lurkers have gotten lurkier over time too. ^,^
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby Demise » April 20th, 2019, 3:44 am

What is the maximum size allowable when posting a comic page on webtoon,
and what happens if you post a traditional format comic page on the website?
Is it going to experience some bugs because the format isn't convenient for mobile?
And yeah, there has been a lack of BL on this site compared before which is a very
popular genre.

and that's just sad for the creator side about the "lurkier" part xD
Demise

Postby eishiya » April 20th, 2019, 7:57 am

Demise wrote:What is the maximum size allowable when posting a comic page on webtoon,
and what happens if you post a traditional format comic page on the website?
Is it going to experience some bugs because the format isn't convenient for mobile?

I don't know the exact image size, but pages there consist of (optionally) multiple images, so you can make your update very tall by making it a bunch of separate images. This is what allows reasonably fast loading on the site too.
There won't be bugs if you upload page-style comics, but the art and text will likely be uncomfortably small to read on phone screens.
eishiya

Postby avian-reader » April 20th, 2019, 9:27 am

I think a big part of it is there was a generation in their teens and twenties who posted regularly, and as we've all gotten older time has gotten a lot tighter. I have to put my hands up on this one; between work and uni commitments, I often go a year without posting anything here despite still loving this place.

I think there's something to be said for an app. I can only say for myself, but when I want to chat I go to my phone, and posting here on that can be a massive pain. When I'm on my PC, it's to game, work, or watch videos.

It's kinda sad, when you think that we've had the Secret Santa and even a podcast for a while. But that's life unfortunately, and thankfully we still have some awesome veterans here like eishiya, mitchellbravo, Seven Rain, and more :)
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby mitchellbravo » April 20th, 2019, 9:44 am

avian-reader wrote:It's kinda sad, when you think that we've had the Secret Santa and even a podcast for a while. But that's life unfortunately, and thankfully we still have some awesome veterans here like eishiya, mitchellbravo, Seven Rain, and more :)

You're too sweet :)

It's crazy to think about how long I've been here and how much has changed in that time. I went through my links page yesterday to check in on who's still updating, since I probably need to cull it again. One comic that feels like I was reading it 2 years ago hasn't updated since 2015, which the SJ stats helpfully report was four years ago. Or another example, Oly-RRR and I became friends in the summer of 2014, and I feel like we haven't been friends super long, but that's already 5 years itself.

I remember coming to SJ in 2010 at the recommendation of a friend. I feel like that was already on the downhill side of the peak of SJ and webcomics in general being super popular. This forum felt so active it seemed like I could barely keep up on it and there were so many active users on a given day I couldn't keep track of everybody. Those first few years I was here I was super active.

Around 2015/16 I fell out of love with my comic and though I still posted here, I wasn't as invested. It's really odd to think how much time has gone by that I've been in that state. Avian-reader like you said a lot of us came into this hobby during high school or college when we had more free time and energy. The majority of folks who fall out of love or don't have enough time for their comic wind up dropping the hobby entirely.

A few months ago I started getting emotionally reinvested in my story, and within the past like 2 months I've come back to actually making pages and feeling that old motivation again. It's kind of sad though to come back feeling like that and so many of my old readers are gone and there's not really any new ones to take their place. The format of webcomics has changed from independent sites (or independent sub-sites like I'd consider ours here) through tumblr type posts that made it hard for longform comics, and now I have no idea where the webcomic "scene" really is, since I don't use a lot of current social media and don't use my phone for webcomic reading. It kind of feels like I came out of a time machine even though I never really went away for that long from the boards here.... I feel like without boards and dedicated communities, it's harder to get people engaged in a comic than it used to be. A lot of comics I got into because I liked the posting style of the person who made them, or seeing an interesting link on somebody else's site, or neat styles in people's sigs here.

I just feel super old. 2010 really doesn't feel as long ago as it was.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » April 20th, 2019, 1:51 pm

I'm noticing my comics aren't getting as much attention as they used to, and a lot of comics I read suddenly stop updating without warning, but as everyone put it, life just throws a lot of things your way and sometimes you drop other things to catch those new things.
I always want to be producing something, but making comics is kind of a weird one for me as it start with just a series of "Well, this seems like something I can do."
As a kitten (young squirrel), I was always interested in writing out and having an animated movie made, but I didn't realize how impossible it is for one person, let alone a child, to do that. As I grew, I started writing more and drawing more. Eventually, I realized that I could do both to make a more complete and compelling story, and then I just kind of started drawing a series of images loosely put together to tell a story. Then I realized I was making comics.
I posted them on DeviantArt and thought that this was a difficult way to showcase them all, and then a brilliant idea hit me.
There must be others out there who make comics and want to showcase them online!
Then I discovered Smackjeeves among a few other sites, and Smackjeeves was by far the friendliest and easiest to use and I made it my home for comics ever since.
That was back around 2008 when I was Blue-Senoire, but I doubt anyone really noticed me back then.
There's certainly a flux of people who come and go, and I'm seeing a lot more ridiculous users, but it could be just my own internet etiqute has improved so things I probably used to do now bother me.
I don't really know what I'm talking about anymore, just rambling.
Is smackjeeves dead? No. We're all here talking about it.
Is smackjeeves quieter than it used to be? Maybe. But I also think Smackjeeves has its own mini subcultures that don't necessarily make it to the forums. You wanna talk about yaoi without restrictions? You can make a discord for that.
I think as long as people want to make comics and post them online, smackjeeves will be around.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby SketchLines » May 1st, 2019, 6:04 am

Honestly I don't think it's dead. However, I wouldn't doubt that a huge majority has moved onto bigger platforms, such as tapastic or webtoons. But smack isn't dead, at least not yet. There's a lot of people updating and even if it's a small amount of readers reading, they're still here, reading :)

There are only some webcomics that Smackjeeves has to offer that can really make one feel good, since it's a smaller platform now, and since the community is smaller, that means everyone is kind of well known.
My comic, A Wizard and A Cat :) http://awac.smackjeeves.com/
SketchLines

Postby Spikings » May 1st, 2019, 10:22 am

I don't think it's dead - I use SJ as a host for my webcomic, and the premium custom url makes it look all the snazzier, without having to battle with comicpress or the likes.
I guess it depends on how you use SJ. I would love to be on the forums more, but the people just aren't here (me included, guess I'm guilty of silence too) to talk to. Is there a discord channel for smackjeeves at all? That would be a good in-between so I can keep up with people on my phone, but doesn't require the funds on SJ's side to make an expensive app.
Spikings

Postby eishiya » May 1st, 2019, 10:35 am

Spikings wrote:Is there a discord channel for smackjeeves at all? That would be a good in-between so I can keep up with people on my phone, but doesn't require the funds on SJ's side to make an expensive app.

There was one, but it died. The forum format is better for sharing knowledge, and for just casual chat, people tend to talk directly via DMs (including via Discord DMs) rather than in a public format.
eishiya

Postby Spikings » May 1st, 2019, 11:41 am

eishiya wrote: The forum format is better for sharing knowledge, and for just casual chat, people tend to talk directly via DMs (including via Discord DMs) rather than in a public format.

Huh, I didn't know that...I run a small webcomic community discord atm and even though its semi-active, we try to keep it casual while also sharing knowledge on there. The channels are quicker to navigate than a forum format, but maybe I just need more practice in here! xD
Spikings

Previous

Return to General Discussion