Windows deletes what I installed! Why?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Windows deletes what I installed! Why?

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2009, 10:12 pm

I'm running an e-machine desktop computer. I don't know what the computer specs are, mainly because I don't know where to see them. The Windows OS I'm using is Windows XP Home Edition 2002.

So I installed Mabinogi the other day (an MMORPG), and I was able to play it just fine. When I was done, I turned off the computer. The next day, I turned it back on, looked for the file where I had installed the game and it was gone. I had installed it in C:\Program Files\Nexon. The folder Nexon had mysteriously disappeared. Like it was never installed. So then I installed it yet again, turned off the computer, turned it back on and sure enough it was gone like the last one. The only things that weren't removed were the desktop shortcuts it creates and a folder it creates on the Start Menu. When you click the shortcut icon to the game, it can't even find it. I doubt it's a problem with Mabinogi but more with the PC/Windows because no one else that installed Mabinogi ever had that problem.

I have no clue why this is happening.

Re: Windows deletes what I installed! Why?

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2009, 7:12 am

I see you posted in Mabinogis forum as well, It does sounds like its an issue with your computer, some people are having the same problem with other programs:

http://hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104129
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/malwareb ... 39350.html

Sadly I can't find a proper answer anywhere, does the game still show up on the "Add/remove Programs" in the control panel?
I'd advice doing an online virus scan (if you haven't already)

Another thing you could do is put that folder as read only and see what happens.

Oh, and to check your specs, one way would be: click on start---> run ---> type dxdiag

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2009, 11:13 am

I looked in the Program Files folder to see if any of these suspicious files were in there: Deep Freeze, Go Back, Retunil, Steady State. I didn't find any. Then, I went to Add/Remove programs to see if the Mabinogi was still installed, and it wasn't there. But! I did find something that seemed suspicious - Clean Slate vrs. 5

I looked it up online and here's a description from download.cnet.com:
"Clean Slate is designed to protect public access computers from malicious or inexperienced users. While not restricting users' activities, this product will scour drives back to their original state upon reboot or log off. It restores the computer to original configuration, no matter what users have done: including erasing files, installing software, downloading viruses, and altering icons. Also there is no need to reboot to enable/disable security. Clean Slate automatically removes unwanted downloads and software installations, including spyware and adware; protects all local hard drives; makes file changes temporary; does not alter the file system; offers the ability to schedule a time of day when security is disabled."

I bet it was my dad who installed this to prevent me and my brother from installing games in his comp along with preventing viruses and all that bad stuff that comes with using a PC, while he's away. The nerve! Now I just have to find a way around it so I can install Mabinogi without having this stupid program delete it.

Postby Vitotamito » May 21st, 2009, 8:55 pm

What a useless program. Sounds more like a virus than a program to me. I'm going to warn my grandpa about that one, sounds like something he'd accidentally put on his computer.

Also, since you figured out the problem, I guess I'm allowed to say "Maybe the problem is that you're using a windows computer."
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2009, 9:56 pm

Vitotamito wrote:What a useless program. Sounds more like a virus than a program to me. I'm going to warn my grandpa about that one, sounds like something he'd accidentally put on his computer.

Also, since you figured out the problem, I guess I'm allowed to say "Maybe the problem is that you're using a windows computer."
Ditto... PC's are so difficult.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2009, 4:41 am

Derek Dragomir wrote:I looked in the Program Files folder to see if any of these suspicious files were in there: Deep Freeze, Go Back, Retunil, Steady State. I didn't find any. Then, I went to Add/Remove programs to see if the Mabinogi was still installed, and it wasn't there. But! I did find something that seemed suspicious - Clean Slate vrs. 5

I looked it up online and here's a description from download.cnet.com:
"Clean Slate is designed to protect public access computers from malicious or inexperienced users. While not restricting users' activities, this product will scour drives back to their original state upon reboot or log off. It restores the computer to original configuration, no matter what users have done: including erasing files, installing software, downloading viruses, and altering icons. Also there is no need to reboot to enable/disable security. Clean Slate automatically removes unwanted downloads and software installations, including spyware and adware; protects all local hard drives; makes file changes temporary; does not alter the file system; offers the ability to schedule a time of day when security is disabled."

I bet it was my dad who installed this to prevent me and my brother from installing games in his comp along with preventing viruses and all that bad stuff that comes with using a PC, while he's away. The nerve! Now I just have to find a way around it so I can install Mabinogi without having this stupid program delete it.

Ah, well that explains that, to be honest your dad installed a MUCH better program than Deepfreeze/Cleanstate (these ones completely blocks anyone from installing anything, its all password-protected).

basically your dad installed it because he doesn't care what stuff you put on his computer or if you end up infecting the hell out of it as long as when he comes back he wants his files and setting BACK to how it was, thats understandable, since its HIS computer.

Try to install it from a flash drive (if you have one with big enough capaticity), or even better look for the portable version (or how to make programs portable, google it)

Another really simple solution that may work is to put your PC on "hibernation mode" instead of turning it off.

Return to General Discussion