Scrooge Apology Thread for SS09

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Scrooge Apology Thread for SS09

Postby Sho-Shonojo » December 29th, 2009, 11:55 pm

There may be fewer scrooges then most years, but it seems they don't want to come apologize, or have completely forgotten about signing up for this thing.

It's really a shame.
Sho-Shonojo

Postby Azumitaiko » December 29th, 2009, 11:56 pm

Wasn't Azora only a helper though?
I was looking through the posts and that's what I saw.
Not sure though.
Azumitaiko

Postby Pyroman » December 30th, 2009, 1:10 am

Azumitaiko wrote:Wasn't Azora only a helper though?
I was looking through the posts and that's what I saw.
Not sure though.

Yeah I PMed her when I was compiling the list, and she never got back to me, so I don't know what happened there. Consider Azora a temp Scrooge, for now.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Imi » December 30th, 2009, 4:25 am

The unfortunate thing about Scrooges apologising is that if they weren't bothered with taking part in the first place, there's a likelihood they aren't bothered about going on the forums, either, to even see this thread. A lot of people who signed up had it as their very first post on the forum, since they followed through from the News article. It's just one of those things, because of this being online those who spoil it can't really be reprimanded. That's why we have the helper system in place, so even though the Scrooges may not show themselves again, at least those who missed out still get something.
Imi

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Imi wrote:The unfortunate thing about Scrooges apologising is that if they weren't bothered with taking part in the first place, there's a likelihood they aren't bothered about going on the forums, either, to even see this thread. A lot of people who signed up had it as their very first post on the forum, since they followed through from the News article. It's just one of those things, because of this being online those who spoil it can't really be reprimanded. That's why we have the helper system in place, so even though the Scrooges may not show themselves again, at least those who missed out still get something.

Maybe there should be a rule next year like the person has to be around for at least a month on the forums in order to be able to sign up, that way we can filter those people who are onetime posters.

Or they have to have at least 5 posts that weren't in December 2010, or 5 posts made before the announcement of the Secret Santa 2010 sign up and closing applications or something like that :D

If a person can meet those requirements, or at least something similar, we can assume that more of them will stick around longer next year to at least apologize.

Postby avian-reader » December 30th, 2009, 6:11 pm

hush_sound wrote:Maybe there should be a rule next year like the person has to be around for at least a month on the forums in order to be able to sign up, that way we can filter those people who are onetime posters.

Or they have to have at least 5 posts that weren't in December 2010, or 5 posts made before the announcement of the Secret Santa 2010 sign up and closing applications or something like that :D

If a person can meet those requirements, or at least something similar, we can assume that more of them will stick around longer next year to at least apologize.

I was thinking about that too when I read Imi's post. The only thing is that a lot of the one-posters did come through and do a good job, for example skull_kid. It seems a little bit of a shame to deny them, although I'll admit there seems no alternative way of filtering.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby Pyroman » December 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Yeah as much as a filtering system sounds like a good idea, it then becomes a very discriminatory event. A lot of users are super popular power users on one half of the site, and then don't touch the other; so many users for whom it was their first post on the forums are actually pretty dedicated SJ users. Just as some of the people who are frequent forum post-abusers may be unknown on the comic side. If we start saying 'only this person, with this post number and...etc' then we start putting in place restrictions that take away from the joy of gift-giving, and the community aspect of the event itself.

In the end, out of 161 users, to have this many scrooges is absolutely nothing. Even if we filtered and filtered and filtered we would still get scrooges, so there's no point making it harder to take part for everyone else.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Imi » December 30th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Pyroman wrote:Yeah as much as a filtering system sounds like a good idea, it then becomes a very discriminatory event. A lot of users are super popular power users on one half of the site, and then don't touch the other; so many users for whom it was their first post on the forums are actually pretty dedicated SJ users. Just as some of the people who are frequent forum post-abusers may be unknown on the comic side. If we start saying 'only this person, with this post number and...etc' then we start putting in place restrictions that take away from the joy of gift-giving, and the community aspect of the event itself.

In the end, out of 161 users, to have this many scrooges is absolutely nothing. Even if we filtered and filtered and filtered we would still get scrooges, so there's no point making it harder to take part for everyone else.

Quoted for truth. The only thing I can suggest is putting Scrooges on a watch-list for next year--if they don't apologise or ever make clear to Pyroman or myself why they didn't take part, then if they sign up again they are denied a place. That doesn't seem to be too unfair to me, since they'd be likely to do it again.
Imi

Postby jinglestan » December 30th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Imi's solution sounds pretty fair xD

I'd hate to be filtered because of poor post count *points at it* LOL orz
jinglestan

Postby Pyroman » December 30th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Imi wrote:
Pyroman wrote:Yeah as much as a filtering system sounds like a good idea, it then becomes a very discriminatory event. A lot of users are super popular power users on one half of the site, and then don't touch the other; so many users for whom it was their first post on the forums are actually pretty dedicated SJ users. Just as some of the people who are frequent forum post-abusers may be unknown on the comic side. If we start saying 'only this person, with this post number and...etc' then we start putting in place restrictions that take away from the joy of gift-giving, and the community aspect of the event itself.

Quoted for truth. The only thing I can suggest is putting Scrooges on a watch-list for next year--if they don't apologise or ever make clear to Pyroman or myself why they didn't take part, then if they sign up again they are denied a place. That doesn't seem to be too unfair to me, since they'd be likely to do it again.

Exactly. This has been the practice for the last few years, but since the site was gone and I couldn't be bothered trawling the old forums, I didn't suggest to do it this year.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Kohaku Inui » December 30th, 2009, 8:14 pm

I agree with Imi on this one, but going back and viewing the view posts I do have, I do believe that posting in the Secret Santa thread was my first post. You can't really judge whether someone will make a present or not JUST because they have a low post count. It would be a good idea though to put users with a low post count on a special watch list, ya know? :3
Kohaku Inui

Postby avian-reader » December 30th, 2009, 8:19 pm

I did wonder why you weren't checking previous scrooges this year. I have to agree that it's much more fair to judge people on what they've done in the past than to prejudge people and start to spoil it a little like Pyro says.
Got questions about autism? Feel free to ask :)
avian-reader

Postby Kohaku Inui » December 30th, 2009, 8:30 pm

avian-reader wrote:I did wonder why you weren't checking previous scrooges this year. I have to agree that it's much more fair to judge people on what they've done in the past than to prejudge people and start to spoil it a little like Pyro says.

*Clap clap* Amen Smacker. :mrgreen:
Kohaku Inui

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2009, 10:41 pm

sorry pheonix, i told your sister (which i found unnecessary to send her to get an apology from me, rather than yourself) why i couldn't draw it and stuff... so ask her.

Postby Sho-Shonojo » December 30th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Oh, Russia. Phoenix didn't send me, I decided to contact you on my own because I felt bad for her. ^.^;;
Sho-Shonojo

Previous

Return to General Discussion