your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby eishiya » April 13th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Saturdays aren't comic days for me, but because I was too distracted to do anything else, I inked a page. It did not turn out good |D My body was not ready.
eishiya

Postby JoKeR » April 15th, 2019, 6:16 pm

"thumbnailing" two pages simultaneously because they share a flow.
Interesting feeling.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby eishiya » April 15th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Aimed to pencil three pages today, managed four while watching a bunch of speedruns :'D Good day~

I hope I can keep up doing more thumbnails every week, having a thumbnail buffer makes it a lot easier to get more work done.
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » April 19th, 2019, 7:57 am

When we moved into our apartment, we brought my husband's scanner/copier/printer. One thing that drives me crazy is when I scan in my drawings, the color is off, particularly with warm tones. So on my physical page, people look okay, but once it's scanned, caucasian skin tones skew very yellow or very pink, brown skin tones turn a muted red, actual reds appear more purple, actual yellows are coming in like a burnt orangey color, and overall it just looks like ass. I try adjusting the colors once I'm in my editing program but it's like if I get one thing looking better, the rest look shitty, and it's a pain to have to go through the page touching up every little thing that now looks out of place. Very frustrating.

edit: Fortunately it's currently a perfectly bright cloudy day, so I just took pictures of the pages with my phone and am going to try to go from there. Hopefully it will look a bit more true to life.

edit edit: Gladly, the colors come through much better by the phone. It's not as large an original image as when I scan (I don't think), the light wasn't even over the entire picture so I had to lighten parts, and there's some sharpening the phone does automatically that makes editing/resizing a little more of a procedure, but I'll take something that takes 2 minutes to fix over something that takes 20-30 minutes.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » April 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

I still have most of the first thing to colour but I thumbnailed the next thing so yeah!! :D PS. Mitchell, I have a feeling you'll like that one (months later). :lol:

mitchellbravo wrote:and overall it just looks like ass

I think we already pondered on how to fix it but I keep wondering if it's just terminally off or there's some daft setting turned on somewhere and only visible when you click "advanced mode" or something. My first scanner was definitely more blue than my current one and I never encountered scanners broken in the way you describe but it could be my limited experience. Anyway, it looks better and makes editing faster I guess you'll only have to worry about it if you decide to print Loud Era and by then scanners might come and go and etc. :)
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby mitchellbravo » April 27th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:I still have most of the first thing to colour but I thumbnailed the next thing so yeah!! :D PS. Mitchell, I have a feeling you'll like that one (months later). :lol:

YUSS

mitchellbravo wrote:and overall it just looks like ass

I think we already pondered on how to fix it but I keep wondering if it's just terminally off or there's some daft setting turned on somewhere and only visible when you click "advanced mode" or something. My first scanner was definitely more blue than my current one and I never encountered scanners broken in the way you describe but it could be my limited experience. Anyway, it looks better and makes editing faster I guess you'll only have to worry about it if you decide to print Loud Era and by then scanners might come and go and etc. :)

Search as I tried I couldn't find any way to adjust the settings, it's supremely frustrating... hopefully when we eventually move into a larger space, I can buy just a dedicated scanner for myself with all the bells & whistles and we can use this one for its still valid working printer...

Workflow today has been productive, I've done a preliminary sketch of 3 pages in between browsing forums and playing sims. Surprisingly efficient to bop back and forth between the activities. I'm listening to music so basically whenever a song comes on that makes me think about the scene I return to working on the actual comic.
mitchellbravo

Postby mitchellbravo » May 4th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I ordered some replacement markers today. I don't remember the last time I ordered more markers. For a while there I was peering over the edge of wondering whether I'd even ever use them again.

Grappling with a future storyline and how involved I want it to be. I have an end point in mind, and have some juicy in-between parts, but I'm not sure whether the in between parts will actually NOT support the end point and make it feel more tedious. <:(

Spoiler! :
mitchellbravo wrote:I have an end point and have some juicy in-between parts
mitchellbravo

Postby AshenSkye » May 5th, 2019, 9:02 am

Managed to get a continuation of the short story posted, and still playing catch up from the recent life-induced hiatus.

And still conflicted about posting in webcomic groups since I switched to illustrated book, but I can't find any good circle for writers that aren't really snobby and elitist, so maybe I can stick with my webcomic peeps...
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby jellyfishin » May 5th, 2019, 11:05 am

Finally managed to finish inking my next batch of pages. Just gotta scan them in to do the lettering now. :D

Also destroyed four large black Faber-Castell PITT pens in the inking process since the scenes took place in super dark areas. Had to go out to buy some new pens.
jellyfishin

Postby eishiya » May 5th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Got so distracted thumbnailing that I almost forgot to update. I'll take that as a good sign!
eishiya

Postby yaaboa » May 5th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Night classes are finally over, so I've had time to work on the comic throughout the week, instead of trying to get the whole thing done on a Sunday and posting everything five minutes before it's due. I still haven't made the chapter title page for the current chapter, but hopefully with the extra time I can work on that this week. First I have to get through finals. It seems like it's always, "Maybe I'll have time tomorrow."
yaaboa

Postby mitchellbravo » May 5th, 2019, 8:49 pm

I have the page that goes up tomorrow night colored, so I'll need to scan and edit it tomorrow when I get home. Kind of bummed because the next round of pages is nowhere near ready, so I'll either miraculously knuckle down and get the sketches complete and ink and color and scan them, or more likely I'll have to be late with the next update. -_- It's better than having nothing ready at all, though, and I'm not going to let a deadline scare me out of being motivated again.
mitchellbravo

Postby OleanderTempest » May 10th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I started thumbnailing my first comic (well, first one that I'm taking semi-seriously anyway).

Anyway, it's a short Madoka Magica fancomic featuring MadoHomu fluff.

I may or may not finish it. We'll see.
OleanderTempest

Postby mitchellbravo » May 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Inking. Having a harder time with this scene. I wrote it back in 2014, around this time of year. Kind of funny how it's been 5 years already, some parts of the scene have changed but it still doesn't feel like 5 years ago that I came up with it.

Disappointed because barring some extreme miracle, this page will not go up on Tuesday. :/ The rest of this aprt of the scene is 2 more pages and unless I stop and finish this whole page, coloring and all, I'm not going to get all three of them done in time, and I don't like to go page by page. Sucks

though to be fair and try to feel better about it, I've been updating every Tuesday the past like 8 updates or so and it's not really made much difference to my readership so
mitchellbravo

Postby Valigarmander » May 12th, 2019, 8:31 am

Been catching up on my buffer. It feels good to be able to get so much done.

Well, my drawing hand doesn't feel good, but the rest of me does.
Valigarmander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion