your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby eishiya » May 12th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I thumbnailed five pages and the chapter break, and prepped the entire next chaprer for pencilling. I'm tired ;o;
eishiya

Postby Night Moon Comic » May 14th, 2019, 11:52 am

I'm nearly done with the set of pages for the week. Gives me more time for next week's set of pages.
Night Moon Comic

Postby eishiya » May 14th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Stopped inking early today because of a glimmer of wrist pain D: I don't want to risk it. Better to start my weekly break early.
eishiya

Postby jellyfishin » May 14th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Uploaded a bulk of pages yesterday immediately after I finished the lettering... only to find I forgot to do the text of one speech bubble when checking comments this morning. Luckily that dialogue was one where the character's voice trails off, so the empty speech bubble didn't affect any reader's understanding, but darn that hot-off-the-press mentality *quietly edits the comic page in shame*
jellyfishin

Postby mitchellbravo » May 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm

My weekly update streak couldn't even last 10 weeks -_-

I probably could have finished tonight's page today if I knuckled down, but I know in the past when I've done that it's like trying too hard to push out a hard, tiny, dry turd, you just end up stressing and getting angry and in the end you don't really even feel proud or relieved about what you made

Better to just either update when it's ready or put things off til next Tuesday (for the second week in a row)

Why is this scene turning out to be such a god damned drag to work on <:(

edit- I guess I shouldn't beat myself up too much over it since I've already updated this year more than the past two years combined, and if you count the pages that are either sketched or partially inked, almost halfway into 2016 too
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Night Moon Comic » May 21st, 2019, 12:55 pm

Currently drawing the rough pages for this week's set of pages. Still need to make custom font.
Night Moon Comic

Postby mitchellbravo » May 22nd, 2019, 8:38 pm

Working on my current scene and the dialogue is all in a language other than the written language (English). I originally was considering leaving some parts in English, and indicating the Italian with <<brackets>>, but it's like all of or almost all of the dialogue after all, and I think it's better to just leave the single narration box at the first panel saying "in Italian" and then editing out the <<>>s.

edit: OMG NEXT PAGE IS NOT ONLY THE FINAL PAGE OF MY TOP 10 SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY COUNTDOWN IT'S ALSO MY 300TH PAGE (including title pages but whatever)

WHAT SERENDIPITY

edit, again- One of my characters is scripted to not appear in this whole chapter except for in like, a flashback. I just realized that means I have not drawn her in the actual comic since 2014. Because this cursed chapter has been running since 2015 and she last appeared months before that. Fuck
mitchellbravo

Postby mitchellbravo » May 24th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Starting a webcomicing journal for myself, I think it'll be productive. Just a place for me to keep ideas, notes on my progress, etc in a centralized place. I mean I have my scripting notebooks literally all over the place (idk why I have a problem when it comes to scripting/sketchbooks, I could never just use the next empty page, it was always open to some random page and so you have a series of disjointed art/writing from different years separated by chunks of empty pages, and I"m trying to get out of that habit these dayse)

I'm developing a weird fear of falling out of love with the comic again so I'm hping this will help me just keep feeling excited about stuff even if I"m not specifically drawing a page or writing a definitive script. Can just jot down my ideas in it, like the vague ones that are fucking years or decades down the line, and maybe it'll be cool to actually be able to look back and see how an idea changed over time, or go back to check how I initially got somethign to work. I can't tell you how many plot points I came up with, never wrote down, and then had to vainly piece back together because I didn't write it down the way it made sense the first time.

Especially now as I'm generating way bigger problems for the cast to face, it'll just be nice to have a spot for this kind of rambling thought. I don't keep a personal journal much anymore so maybe this will also help.

I have a notebook with lined pale green paper ("Eye-Ease") that I've been keeping tucked away for years because "it's special" and can't be wasted ons omething frivolous like tracking which episodes of Joe Kenda I did and did not watch or wedding guest thank you note statuses and stuff.

I kind of regret that either I didn't get into webcomics earlier when the community was a lot more active (or maybe just more well collected/organized), or that I went on that hiatus for somany eyars and lost readers who may have kept up if I hadn't been so unreliable at posting. On the other hand, though, so many of my really good ideas have come in the past year or two and I don't think I had the confidence, ovaries, or world understanding to attempt them back in like 2014/15 whenever I stopped putting the axe to the grinder.

Idk, guys, I just really like caring about this this much again. I want to hold on to having something special like this that I have complete control over, just this nice headspace where I can retreat to instead of bloodying my mental feet over real people/real problems. Guess that's why I got so into it in the first place years ago.

Maybe my second decade at this can be better and more consistent than my first.
mitchellbravo

Postby eishiya » May 25th, 2019, 6:21 am

mitchellbravo wrote:Idk, guys, I just really like caring about this this much again. I want to hold on to having something special like this that I have complete control over, just this nice headspace where I can retreat to instead of bloodying my mental feet over real people/real problems.

Good luuuuck! It's a wonderful and elusive feeling ;~;
eishiya

Postby UrbanMysticDee » June 2nd, 2019, 2:25 am

After years of going back and forth between three and five parts, books, arcs, whatever, I've settled on four, and I know where at least the dividing line between the middle two. And I'm going to make some chapter/part/book covers for them.

I'd sure like to actually post those pages, but something is going wrong linking to the image on deviant art. It keeps saying "bad image source" even though I'm doing exactly the same thing I've always done.

Update 2: DA is terminally broken. Switched to Imgur. That only took what, 2, 3 hours? Now it's after 5 AM and I should have gone to sleep hours ago but I still have shit to do because evil people like to purposely break the Internet by changing things that already work and replacing them with garbage.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby jellyfishin » June 2nd, 2019, 6:39 pm

I feel like I'm on a roll lately. Finished the script and thumbnails for the next chapter last week, and got around to penciling the cover and three pages this weekend, with a fourth page in progress. :D
jellyfishin

Postby mitchellbravo » June 2nd, 2019, 8:14 pm

I could happily go another 4 years *or even preferably more* without having to draw newsprint again, christ
mitchellbravo

Postby UrbanMysticDee » June 2nd, 2019, 10:41 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I could happily go another 4 years *or even preferably more* without having to draw newsprint again, christ

I used to make fake newspapers as a kid, and I've done some for comics here and there, that's one of the things I enjoy doing more.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby mitchellbravo » June 3rd, 2019, 6:29 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:I could happily go another 4 years *or even preferably more* without having to draw newsprint again, christ

I used to make fake newspapers as a kid, and I've done some for comics here and there, that's one of the things I enjoy doing more.

You just reminded me, I used to make newspapers about a boy in the neighborhood who was a bully. I placed them on people's stoops around the neighborhood, then one of my parents yelled at me and made me retrieve them.
If it was fake articles I think that'd be fun, this is just classified ads too small to even do any kind of lorem ipsum bs with.
mitchellbravo

Postby mitchellbravo » June 3rd, 2019, 7:48 pm

I've been working on my comic since 2009. If you just count from the first page of the actual story, 10 months of the actual story have passed.

I'm intending to start skipping chunks of time more now that the main cast has kind of split up, but like, Jesus, lol, I daydream about storylines that take place in the 20's and 30's and here I am with another chapter and a half to go before the 1919 New Years celebration scene :?
mitchellbravo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion