your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby UrbanMysticDee » June 5th, 2019, 4:54 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I've been working on my comic since 2009. If you just count from the first page of the actual story, 10 months of the actual story have passed.

I'm intending to start skipping chunks of time more now that the main cast has kind of split up, but like, Jesus, lol, I daydream about storylines that take place in the 20's and 30's and here I am with another chapter and a half to go before the 1919 New Years celebration scene :?

Technically I've been working on my comic since 2001 (with numerous breaks and re-writes in between) and covered a little over 24 months, with a time jump of about 14 months near the beginning that I swear I'll get to drawing one day.

The start date is 21 December 2012, it skips from late January 2013 to early March 2014, and carries on until 8 January 2015. That was the future when I started writing this, now I'm writing about the past. I hope to get to December 2015 by the end of the first half then skip ahead to sometime after January 2025 at the beginning of the second half when the focus shifts from the people we've already seen to their kids who need to be old enough to do stuff.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby mitchellbravo » June 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm

The past week or so at work has taken a lot of energy out of me emotionally, so I haven't worked on any comic stuff. I got so discombobulated I thought I was ready to start working on the next scene- I'm not, there's still one page left of this scene- and I thought then that the page left in this scene was inked and ready to be colored- it's not, I need to ink, like, all the objects/the establishing panel... It's a dark page so maybe I can get away with minimal detail otherwise but fuck

I don't feel like inking and coloring this particular page rn :/
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby jellyfishin » June 29th, 2019, 12:07 am

Got to the inking stage of my latest page batch and was struggling with inking for a while when I finally made the connection that my Deleter ink was corroding my nibs pretty badly, which in turn made it harder to ink over time. I switched out the ink out to Speedball, which seems to be more wet and flows more freely. It seems my inking has gotten faster with using Speedball, but it also oddly feels also more scratchy to use (or maybe it's just me not so used to working with the viscosity of this ink).
jellyfishin

Postby Pencilz » June 29th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Working on my pixel comic, which takes longer to make a page.

I almost made my main comic a pixel one but I'm glad I didn't because there's no way I could crank out pages that fast.
Pencilz

Postby maelstrom51210 » July 6th, 2019, 8:48 pm

I didn't update Demon King this week because I knew I was going to busy doing fourth of July stuff. It's genuinely nice taking a breather from drawing stuff all the time. I managed to pencil twice as many pages as I usually do today.
maelstrom51210

Postby eishiya » July 15th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Finished drawing my comic yesterday, so today I spent all my time looking into printing options trying to find one that would do exactly what I want ;~; It's probably all a waste of time too, it'll probably be too expensive to be worth doing.
eishiya

Postby DameHelsing » July 15th, 2019, 4:19 pm

eishiya wrote:Finished drawing my comic yesterday, so today I spent all my time looking into printing options trying to find one that would do exactly what I want ;~; It's probably all a waste of time too, it'll probably be too expensive to be worth doing.

I don't think it would be a waste of time. When the time comes you could always try to get a kickstarter going :)
DameHelsing

Postby eishiya » July 15th, 2019, 4:36 pm

DameHelsing wrote:
eishiya wrote:Finished drawing my comic yesterday, so today I spent all my time looking into printing options trying to find one that would do exactly what I want ;~; It's probably all a waste of time too, it'll probably be too expensive to be worth doing.

I don't think it would be a waste of time. When the time comes you could always try to get a kickstarter going :)

I mean, even for a Kickstarter it might be too much. It's a lot of work to run a KS, and with the size of my comic's audience, the chances of it succeeding are pretty low, especially for an expensive book. Still worth researching, though!
eishiya

Postby DameHelsing » July 15th, 2019, 4:43 pm

eishiya wrote:
DameHelsing wrote:

I mean, even for a Kickstarter it might be too much. It's a lot of work to run a KS, and with the size of my comic's audience, the chances of it succeeding are pretty low, especially for an expensive book. Still worth researching, though!

Well, maybe when the time comes you'll have more readers and what not. It is good to research early, IMO, besides you can always do it where you can try to save up so you can meet some of the goal. Let's say the amount needed is $1,000. You could try to save up to the point where you have $200-$400 so that way all you need to raise is $600-$800 :D I've seen people do it before. Just a thought. :)
DameHelsing

Postby eishiya » July 15th, 2019, 4:54 pm

DameHelsing wrote:Well, maybe when the time comes you'll have more readers and what not. It is good to research early, IMO, besides you can always do it where you can try to save up so you can meet some of the goal. Let's say the amount needed is $1,000. You could try to save up to the point where you have $200-$400 so that way all you need to raise is $600-$800 :D I've seen people do it before. Just a thought. :)

It'll definitely cost way more than $1000 for the way I want it done, sadly. If it was a low amount like that, I wouldn't be quite so fretful about it being worth the effort to do a Kickstarter xP
Actually funding the run isn't the big problem though, it's making sure those books get sold that's the big thing, and Kickstarter's much better for that than just paying for a run out of pocket, because it tends to create a wave of interest, including from people who don't read the webcomic. With more expensive books, it's tougher to generate that critical mass of interest that gets the wave going. And since what I want is generally only available for long runs, I'd have a lot of unsold books if the KS doesn't do well or if I supplement the costs from savings.
If the options I want are too hard or too expensive to get though, I'll see about doing a simpler style of book, which would also be much cheaper to fund. I have some time to look into both options :D
eishiya

Postby reddog_f13 » July 16th, 2019, 3:38 am

jumping in to throw some suggestions out. who knows, maybe it'll help.

the one i use is lulu. so far ive published 4 books with them and love the quality of the prints.
https://www.lulu.com/

its simple and doesint force you to buy some bulk order to store away for later sale. they print by the order so at most you only pay the cost to print for a proof book to look over for any possible errors. people can also directly order from them instead of using you as a middle man to sell. but they dont have any super fancy printing options unlike my next suggestion.

onthemark
http://www.onthemark.net/books/

ive never used them, but ive bought a few books from authors who have and the quality is amazing. i would in future like to go through them, but i dont consider myself big enough (or having any funds) to jump in quite yet.
a video of them creating one book i bought. which was funded by a kickstarter, mentioning this as you were talking about considering.

two suggestions with one being a simple one for an easy start to step into with little cost to you. and one thats much more complex, but also costly. hope this helps in someway with expanding your options. :D
Image please check out my comic. =]
reddog_f13

Postby eishiya » July 16th, 2019, 8:08 am

Lulu's quality isn't particularly good (not bad, but you know), and their pricing is high even for a POD printer ): Lulu is a fire-and-forget sort of thing, only really useful if you want to upload your stuff and let Lulu handle distribution while you go off and do something else.

I've got a big list of great printers to look into, no worries there :D The problem's finding a company that can do the specific things I'd like, they're rare features.
eishiya

Postby mitchellbravo » July 16th, 2019, 5:39 pm

I am going away for a few days and bringing my briefcase of comic stuff with me, even though I *know* I never work on my comic on vacation, or do it for like 15 minutes on one night and then never touch it again. I just feel too guilty about not being ready to update before I leave, and likely missing next week's update as well. (Though maybe if I'm ready by like Wednesday I'll just switch to updating Wednesdays for a while, who gives a shit)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Mundius » July 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Do people even make really stupid comics any more?
Mundius

Postby Julien Brightside » July 20th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Mundius wrote:Do people even make really stupid comics any more?

Do you mean like Gary Larsons "The Far Side" ?

Would you mind expanding a bit on the term stupid comics?
Julien Brightside

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion