Pages per week...?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Pages per week...?

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 11th, 2010, 12:47 am

As a artist/webcomicer how many pages do you think is good to upload per week?(Or every other week, depending on your schedule)
As a a reader how many pages do you think is good to upload per week?

Assuming of course your enjoying the story and can't wait for updates.
Do you think it depends on the comic size? (I,e a one shot only needs to update ____ amount of times where as a full fledge series should update _______)
Or does it not matter?
Image
Look at my Sketchbook
tezzle wrote:Because at the end of the day, isn't that what Christmas is all about?...Gay sex?

robybang wrote:OUTRAGEOUS! EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T SMOKE ON A SUBMARINE!
User avatar
Cookieluv246
 
Posts: 702
Joined: August 20th, 2008, 3:17 am

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby UrbanMysticDee » September 11th, 2010, 12:50 am

I update once per week and think once per week is sufficient for two reasons:

1. It takes roughly six days to finish each page.

2. When I was but a lad there were these things called cartoons, they were television serials that updated every saturday and you had to wait a whole week to see the next episode. Nobody makes them anymore.

Bonus Reason: If you can't wait seven days for a new page you're attention span is too short for anything I write anyway.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3982
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby Queerious Toast » September 11th, 2010, 12:58 am

As a reader, once or twice a week would be good.
mosama wrote:Did I give you permission to bring my thread back from the dead with your flop ass autistic 5 year old doodle?
User avatar
Queerious Toast
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: July 17th, 2009, 3:31 am

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby sam-the-spooky » September 11th, 2010, 1:02 am

I generally update three times a week, Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I like the pacing and I always try to do enough buffers for the week so I always have those pages ready. Sometimes it doesn't work out with scheduling and whatnot but I try. I think the main reason I do this is because I like having those points in my week. It's funny, I am terrible remembering what days are what but if I'm working on my comic and I update, I kind of keep track of the week because I know what days I update and what days I don't. So I have a general idea of what day it is because of that.

I think as long as an artist updates at least once a week, there shouldn't be a problem. I think it's more about consistency than how many times really. If you say you update on Saturday, update on Saturday kind of thing. It's a lot of testing, that's for sure. But it's good to stick to a schedule, yet you have to consider life and all that.
User avatar
sam-the-spooky
 
Posts: 37
Joined: October 18th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby ParadoxComic » September 11th, 2010, 1:08 am

2-3 times a week is the most enjoyable for artist and reader, I think. It isn't an overload of pages for the artist to work on, keeps the story going, and it's enough for the reader to be satisfied with without getting cranky over the long wait between pages.
User avatar
ParadoxComic
 
Posts: 440
Joined: February 15th, 2008, 9:43 pm

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby TerminalMontage » September 11th, 2010, 1:19 am

Back when I first started with my webcomic LASTFantasy I uploaded every week day..

It really depends on the comic though, in my comic Side Quests I update every couple of months with 20+ pages. But Paradox is spot on, 2-3 pages a week seems reasonable.
Image
Image
User avatar
TerminalMontage
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 7:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby trenton_dawn » September 11th, 2010, 2:16 am

I think 2-3 pages is a reasonable amount, although it obviously varies depending on how much work each page takes (and your own schedule).
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
User avatar
trenton_dawn
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: December 14th, 2006, 7:59 pm
Location: Auberdine, Darkshore (Alliance Territory)

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby blankd » September 11th, 2010, 2:18 am

I feel it depends on how the comic is constructed.

Since I have fairly minimal (in terms of colors and lines) way of doing things, I think 4-5ish pages is a good upload rate for a typical week. Obviously if I'm busy that output drops. I also tend to think that if I "drag out" something too long it doesn't flow right.

I actually think 3 pages is a good output for other webcomics because it's not too little (1 page) or too many (7+). There's enough to make sure that events aren't muddled to the readers as well as keep the comics's (well that might just be me) script and action flowing naturally. Obviously that schedule isn't for everyone because we all have lives and different work speeds.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
User avatar
blankd
 
Posts: 3783
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 12:43 am
Location: computer

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby AnXjak » September 11th, 2010, 2:46 am

As an authoor, it depends, but usually 1-2 times a week sometimes 3 unless I have comic block or whatever, or to build suspense and not update for 1 and a half weeks or so.

As a reader, once or twice a week, I'm not really too bothered with that seeing as how I have quite a few comics faved and some of them update daily.
"Sorry, my pants got
washed with the Keycard in the pocket, and now it's all mashed."

"So Mankind
is doomed because of a laundry mistake?"
...
"Pretty much, yeah."
User avatar
AnXjak
 
Posts: 33
Joined: November 9th, 2008, 12:47 am

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby sukai-yume » September 11th, 2010, 5:42 am

Both as a reader and author I think 2 pages a week is sufficient although I don't mind waiting a full week for an update, especially if the comic is good. Its nice to know when there will be an update but of course thats not as important here on SJ as we are notified when this happens.
Personally I've set myself a target of 1 page every 2-4 days so I can keep myself in check. If I leave it any longer I loose the flow of the story. Same for readers, its nice to be able to remember what happened on the previous page.
Image
Image
User avatar
sukai-yume
 
Posts: 515
Joined: August 5th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Location: Blighty

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby SuperBiasedMan » September 11th, 2010, 5:43 am

Slightly less than you're able to create a week. (because then you can build up a buffer)

Personally, I'm going to attempt 3 a week, but I'm going to test myself first.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

Image
User avatar
SuperBiasedMan
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: November 1st, 2007, 1:30 pm
Location: The land of milk and honey. That's right, Ireland

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » September 11th, 2010, 5:58 am

Normally I can get two pages done a week, but with two comics on the go that gives them one update a week. As for with reading them, I like 2-3 updates a week. But one's fine, anything, really, as long as it doesnt have these frequent huge three week breaks in them, that can be quite off-putting.
Image
Image
User avatar
H0lyhandgrenade
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: July 30th, 2006, 12:15 pm
Location: Sunny sunny England.

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby NeoKitai » September 11th, 2010, 7:03 am

I don't mind waiting a week for a page, but I update 6-8 pages a week, 4 panel sprite comics FTW.
cookieluv246 wrote:Neokitai doesn't understand the difference between a pineapple and a mermaid.
User avatar
NeoKitai
 
Posts: 432
Joined: November 24th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: This way. No, that way. No, wait, THAT way. Or is it THIS way?

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby eishiya » September 11th, 2010, 7:18 am

As a reader: I prefer 2-3 updates a week, anything more (even if it's a gag-a-day comic) is offputting for me. 1/week or less makes it easy to forget what was going on, and works best for comics that are very fast-paced, so that single scenes don't take a year to do.

As an artist: I think 2-3 is still optimal, even for a full-colour comic. I updated Senka only once a week because I had trouble writing it (I am a baaad writer), drawing 2-3 pages of it per week wasn't a problem even during the semester. Black Dram will be updating once a week because I have super-crazy classes this semester (huge project), but I am still hoping to do 2-3 pages a week and adjusting the update time accordingly. Writing is not a problem at all for BD. I've so far been doing 2+ pages/week, but I'll have to see how much I can draw when the semester is in full swing before I commit to faster updates.

I think 1/week is the absolute minimum. If a comic updates less frequently than that, I'll probably bookmark it and check back every few weeks/months to see what's going on, but I will not actively follow it. ...and that's only if it's amazing. If it doesn't have amazing art/story, then I just won't bother.
I tend to pass on comics with 5+ updates every week, too... no real logic that I can think of for that, I guess it's just overwhelming. There are a couple of frequently-updated comics I do go back to every now and then, but don't follow actively, though.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9504
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Pages per week...?

Postby tiger-summer » September 11th, 2010, 7:36 am

As a reader, I like 2-3 updates a week so it doesn't take an eon for the plot to move along and it's also not really spammy and hard to catch up on if you aren't able to check it for a while.
And I like producing 2-3 updates a week; scenes don't last for a ridiculously long time and I like drawing at that pace.
Image
User avatar
tiger-summer
 
Posts: 36
Joined: July 11th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests