Homestuck thread- The End is Nigh

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Homestuck thread- The End is Nigh

Postby tezzle » April 6th, 2011, 3:48 pm

OKAY! So at this point in time I am only aware of three Homestuck fans on the SJ forums, and one of them mostly lurks.

So to everyone else, let me inform you not in the know just what Homestuck is.

Backrgound info on MS Paint Adventures you don't technically NEED to know:
Spoiler! :
MS Paint Adventures is a site made by Andrew Hussie that features a handful of mostly single-panel pages with narration that speaks to the reader in the same way an old adventure video game would.

I'm pretty sure the only one he actually ever finished was Problem Sleuth, what started out as a parody of the cliche prohibition era Private Eyes, and ended up being an action adventure comedy clusterf***. It's definitely a prototype to Homestuck, and even shares several story elements with it. Plus, while still being over 2000 pages, it's WAAAAAY shorter than Homestuck is. And Homestuck's not even finished yet!

So if you want a shorter condensed and finished version of Homestuck that only has roughly a dozen character that don't actually speak, check out Problem Sleuth. But you don't NEED to in order to comprehend Homestuck.

But now let's get on to the main event: HOMESTUCK. It starts out simple enough. A boy in his room. You name him, get a feel for his room, everything in it, learn about the character, how his inventory system works, since apparently in this pseudo-video-game-world people have various kinds of game inventories, and he's about to play a game within the game YOU'RE supposedly playing with him in it that can pretty much bend and twist reality itself, but no one finds it all that odd, and thiiiiis is where things start to get weird. But a good weird.

Now what I've just described takes a bit of time to get through, and you're still not halfway done the first act I don't think. The first part of the story, especially compared to the things yet to come, is...well, boring. To say the least. The only reason I stuck with it was because I had it on good authority it all pays off. And boy did it ever! And it still is! This crazy action-packed fantasy scifi horror comedy extravaganza updates multiple times a week, usually multiple times in those given days! And the best part? It's not just panels.

Most of the panels are gifs, but sometimes it's flash animation! WITH AWESOME MUSIC! And every once in a blue moon it will be an ACTUAL game! Well, not a game, more like an interactive "page" you can explore that looks like a game. Super fun!

So, how can I sum up this still yet to be finished work of internet fiction?... It is the modern Epic for the internet age. I'm serious. I don't just mean "AW DEWD, THIS IS EPIC!" I mean the genre of literature usually reserved for stories so old we don't even know who the f*** wrote them, and if we do they're long dead. If you know Homestuck, and all the usual conventions of an Epic, Homestuck fits most if not all of them.

- Beowulf
- Gilgamesh
- Paradise Lost
- HOMESTUCK

Get on this, SJ. Oh, and this is one thread where I request that you reserve the spoiler-box for ACTUAL spoilers. Because there's a lot, and if any of you actually take the time and effort to march through this (and it'll probably take you over a week to get through on just casual reading once in a while) you'll all be at different points in the story. Speaking of, don't worry about the odd lack of page-numbers. You can hit the "save game" button and as long as you're on the same computer as the last time you read it, it'll remember and take you right to the page when you click "Load Game." NIFTY!

So yeah...get readin'.

inb4 Jake posts something from the Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff webcomic-within-the-webcomic to confuse you all.
Last edited by tezzle on October 20th, 2013, 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Re: You Guys...Reading Homestuck

Postby Jacob L » April 6th, 2011, 3:54 pm

:Y I WARNED YOU ABOUT THE EPICS BRO!!!!

I TOLD YOU DOG!

You can read my comic above or at http://www.1000.smackjeeves.com.

Admin wrote:Jacob got quite the sun-tan at our last party.
Jacob L

Postby ///// » April 6th, 2011, 3:55 pm

I've never actually made it through MS Paint Adventures but Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is the greatest web comic ever made.
/////

Postby FairehMoon » April 6th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I've kept up with the whole comic for awhile. I have to say that I love the trolls. Not all of them, but I love them. <3
"Imagination is everything, it's a preview of life's coming attractions." ~Albert Einstein
ImageImage
FairehMoon

Postby Reigan » April 6th, 2011, 4:05 pm

OH GOD THIS THING (can it even be called a comic?)
ALL MY LOVE.

I love all the characters, except maybe Jade. The way she types annoys me (hehehehe!!!!! <3 <3< 3) but otherwise she's badass. Rose is amazing because, well, she's ROSE; nothing else can be said on the subject. Dave is just to cool for words, and Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff is the best comic to ever hit the internet. John is just awesome because he likes to fuck with Karkat's mind and he's hilarious (especially in the Casey scenes-- what movie were those based off of anyways?).

Also Cal. Cal deserves a special mention too.

The only thing I didn't get was the Midnight Crew Intermission. Does that have any point besides fucking with your mind? I honestly lost track of what was happening at the very beginning. I thought I saw Hearts Boxcars somewhere after that intermission, but that might just be me making things up.

I'm now at the part where you become Karkat, and he's my favorite Troll by far <3
Reigan

Location: The land or fairy tales, gum drops, and all that good stuff.

Postby Jacob L » April 6th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Reigan wrote:(especially in the Casey scenes-- what movie were those based off of anyways?).

Nicolas Cage's 1997 action-thriller Con Air.

You can read my comic above or at http://www.1000.smackjeeves.com.

Admin wrote:Jacob got quite the sun-tan at our last party.
Jacob L

Postby tezzle » April 6th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Reigan wrote:The only thing I didn't get was the Midnight Crew Intermission. Does that have any point besides fucking with your mind?

Yes, it actually does have something to do with the story somehow...but yeah, that was a total mindf***.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Reigan » April 6th, 2011, 4:16 pm

tezzle wrote:
Reigan wrote:The only thing I didn't get was the Midnight Crew Intermission. Does that have any point besides fucking with your mind?

Yes, it actually does have something to do with the story somehow...but yeah, that was a total mindf***.

I don't know if this is spoilers or not (I'm not caught up completely yet), but I found this on the Wiki:
Mspaintadventures Wiki wrote:During the end of year summary, ANDREW HUSSIE confirmed that the intermission is intertwined with the TROLLS' instance of SGRUB, confirming that SPADES SLICK is their version of JACK NOIR.

What was your favorite scene? Mine was when John was reenacting that scene in Con Air for the second time, with Karkat watching in disgust. It was 1am and I wasn't supposed to be awake, but I couldn't help but laugh really loudly :'D

EDIT:
Am I the only one who found this face absolutely hilarious?
Spoiler! :
Reigan

Postby tezzle » April 6th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. Hussie is fully aware of his fanbase, so he makes sure to constantly give shipping hints for...almost every possible pairing there is. And as far as I know, NONE of them have gone anywhere with the exception of maybe a couple but I don't even know anymore. Homestuck has enough ships to have its own damn crack-pairing Navy.

So, what pairings do you guys support, even if you know that your choice might never be canon? (because let's face it, canon pairings are boring)
Mine:
Spoiler! :
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby DragonHat » April 6th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I approve of this thread

:33

homestuck is basically the greatest and it's my main fandom right now. :P

on the topic of shipping, I ship John/Vriska and Dave/Terezi mainly. (I really love the kids/patron troll ships in general. Karkat/Jade and Rose/Kanaya are pretty delightful)

uhmm also I ship everything. I really don't have any pairings I dislike, hehe. I don't actively ship the kids though.

also Tezzle have you read this?:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/174415
it is basically the best John/Karkat thing ever written. Such delightful (b)romance.
DragonHat

Postby FairehMoon » April 6th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Reigan wrote:I'm now at the part where you become Karkat, and he's my favorite Troll by far <3

He is my favorite Troll. Why? I don't know. He is so irritating sometimes, he's lovable. <3
"Imagination is everything, it's a preview of life's coming attractions." ~Albert Einstein
ImageImage
FairehMoon

Postby robybang » April 6th, 2011, 4:49 pm

I like Hussie's stuff and all the work he puts into it (Seriously, he updates multiple times a day, sometimes with Flash cartoons, interactive sections, and original music. I AM NOT WORTHY!!!) but I haven't had time to trawl through Homestuck. I think I got up to the introduction of all the children, but this summer I'll probably have time to catch up on it.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby Chelleromo » April 6th, 2011, 5:00 pm

MSPaintadventures is one of my most frequented sites. I've been visiting there almost every day since Problems Sleuth was still going on. When Homestuck started, I was HOOKED. I thougtht it couldn't get any better, but then we have the flash games, the animated pages, and the TROLLS. MY GOG THE TROLLS. Such a great site. One of my favorite things about Homestuck is probably the soundtrack. I LOVE listening to all the music available. Basically, I just LOVE Homestuck more than I could love a child and I will cry when it's done.

The only thing I DON'T love is some of the fanbase gets really annoying really quickly. One of my friends absolutely refuses to read it, even though he liked the first few pages, because so many people were jumping around, derailing threads and bombing chats with their nonstep spoilers and in-jokes that he really really dislikes it now, before he even got a chance to finish it! That and so many of them act like Hussie owes them something and won't hesistate to baaaw about it whenever he does something that disagrees with their headcanon. (Though I love how he almost always gets them back somehow, whether it be a joke page or his 4th-wall breaking.)

Other than those particular fans, though, I really love Homestuck. And the fact that there is a fan group on Facebook for Hussie's lips.

Spoiler! :
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chelleromo

Postby gun21 » April 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I've read the entirety of Problem Sleuth and made it two acts through Homestuck via 8 hour sit down

I then took a look through at the archive and realized how far away I was from catching up and was discouraged to continue.

Besides I can read Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff instead.
gun21

Postby Reigan » April 6th, 2011, 5:10 pm

I go and get a bath and look what I've come back to <3

tezzle wrote:Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. Hussie is fully aware of his fanbase, so he makes sure to constantly give shipping hints for...almost every possible pairing there is. And as far as I know, NONE of them have gone anywhere with the exception of maybe a couple but I don't even know anymore. Homestuck has enough ships to have its own damn crack-pairing Navy.

So, what pairings do you guys support, even if you know that your choice might never be canon? (because let's face it, canon pairings are boring)
Mine:
Spoiler! :

OH MY GOD YES I'M NOT ALONE <3<3

I love this pairing ;3;

And in one of the PesterChum Convo's Dave tells Rose that he loves John. He probably never meant it in that way, but it still made me giggle.

EDIT:

DragonHat wrote:also Tezzle have you read this?:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/174415
it is basically the best John/Karkat thing ever written. Such delightful (b)romance.

*Reads furiously*
Last edited by Reigan on April 6th, 2011, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reigan

Next

Return to General Discussion