Creepypasta

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Creepypasta

Postby Extreme5000 » July 7th, 2011, 9:55 pm

OK, I've brought this back from tips with YakkitySax.

Creepypasta are stories on a message board (Usually 4Chan) meant to scare or unnerve the reader. An example of creepypasta is Jadasuable's Ben story. If you didn't know, Jadasuable is a youtube user. Contact me for more info.

Now, I have some questions.

What's your favorite creepypasta?
Which was the first you read?
Do you think they're actually scary?

Those 3 questions? Oh.

Ben Drowned
Ben Drowned
Most of the time, no.

I'd think of more questions, but I cannot. But, if you want to play, here's a My Little Pony creepypasta : http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/573755

But I think I'll add one more question :

Do you think I should maybe make some creepypastas?
Image

I have a Shotgun, your argument is invalid.

HAHAHA
Like hell I'm clicking on that.
Porn viruses ahoy!
User avatar
Extreme5000
 
Posts: 369
Joined: February 24th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: In Jadasuable's Dorm, Chilling With Ben

Re: Creepypasta

Postby YakkitySax » July 7th, 2011, 10:22 pm

I think everyone loves a good scary story. Particularly, creepypastas since a lot of the time they seem to revolve around the supernatural. It's how Urban Legends are born and years from now, when the stories are so widespread that people have forgotten the origins, they'll be a part of the culture. Kind of like Bloody Mary and The Candy Man. Those terrified me as a kid and I would have to say, by creepypasta standards, that those would technically be considered my first.

My favorite is Slenderman.

Image
Image

At first, the idea of the suit threw me off. Thinking about it, though, how would a supernatural entity, attempting to blend in with its new surroundings, adapt? I'm sure if nymphs were still around to try and lure young men into the woods, they wouldn't be wearing renaissance clothing. A suit in this light seems almost fitting and even creepier since it's learning and thinking. Something unknown that is able to think for itself and wants to kill you is far more scary than a dead girl who comes out of a mirror when you say her name three times.

Another one of my favorites, relating to mirrors, is the mirror box. It's where you sit inside of the metal box, surrounded by mirrors alone, and stay in there for ten minutes with just a bit of light. I haven't heard any stories revolving around this one other than how to perform it, but the story itself says to not ask the person inside of the box what happened anyway. Mirrors seem to have a big prominence in legends and creepypastas in general I've noticed. Though, in quite a few cultures mirrors have significance, especially when it comes to the human soul. For example with Feng Shui, mirrors are reflective of energy and improper placement can reflect negative energy on to you.

If I ever accidentally am with child, I will tell them about Slenderman so they'll listen to me, just like back in the olden days where fairy tales got children to behave.
I love you, spam bots.
jan83fry wrote:It's my pleasure to get an opportunity to discuss in this reputed forum. I love seeing people thrive online. It's such a great opportunity I have today.

My Sketchbook
User avatar
YakkitySax
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: IT'S GON' RAIN

Re: Creepypasta

Postby Inxerene » July 7th, 2011, 10:40 pm

I enjoy the Pokemon game creepypastas. Just their stories unnerve the mess out of people for some reason and it makes me giggly.
My Pokemon comic. It updates daily.. hopefully.
Of Myths and Legends
Image

Image
User avatar
Inxerene
 
Posts: 237
Joined: October 7th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Re: Creepypasta

Postby Hunterkirizaki » July 7th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I liked the concept of Cupcakes(MLP Fanfiction), but the presentation was somewhat lacking.

I enjoy Slenderman as well, and I remember reading a lot of Ben's story.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Hunterkirizaki
 
Posts: 1928
Joined: June 20th, 2007, 7:15 pm

Re: Creepypasta

Postby KonaTobennh » July 7th, 2011, 10:50 pm

I'm stuck between the Slenderman Creepypastas and Ben Drowned...

My first one, and I'm not sure if it counts, was Marble Hornets. It's one that keeps me entertained each entry.

They're not really scary to me, especially Ben Drowned, but if it does manage to scare me, bravo.
User avatar
KonaTobennh
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 7:15 pm
Location: The place where bad steam punk artists are... ;-;

Re: Creepypasta

Postby YakkitySax » July 7th, 2011, 10:51 pm

This is also one of my favorites. It's been going around for a while.

You know that ringing sound that you will perceive when you are in a very quiet area? Some people say this is an auditory-illusion brought about the ear's inability to detect frequencies below the threshold of the human senses. This is completely wrong. That ringing covers up something else altogether. If you are quick, patient, and maybe a little lucky, you will be able to hear past the ringing. What you will hear are voices whispering to each other. They will silence themselves quickly but with practice, you will become more adept at catching and interpreting what they are saying. You will hear things of the past, the present, and the future. However, you must be careful. Because there is no such thing as a voice without a body.

And when you start noticing them, they will start noticing you.


I wouldn't think of Cupcakes as Creepypasta, though. In general I've always looked at them as creepy stories, not creepy fanfiction.
I love you, spam bots.
jan83fry wrote:It's my pleasure to get an opportunity to discuss in this reputed forum. I love seeing people thrive online. It's such a great opportunity I have today.

My Sketchbook
User avatar
YakkitySax
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: IT'S GON' RAIN

Re: Creepypasta

Postby RyoSoulreaper » July 7th, 2011, 11:00 pm

I liked the Majora's Mask one. I didn't read many of the others but Majora's Mask one gave me chills.
Image
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
User avatar
RyoSoulreaper
 
Posts: 4383
Joined: August 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Location: Hyrule

Re: Creepypasta

Postby MacSimon » July 7th, 2011, 11:10 pm

YakkitySax wrote:This is also one of my favorites. It's been going around for a while.

You know that ringing sound that you will perceive when you are in a very quiet area? Some people say this is an auditory-illusion brought about the ear's inability to detect frequencies below the threshold of the human senses. This is completely wrong. That ringing covers up something else altogether. If you are quick, patient, and maybe a little lucky, you will be able to hear past the ringing. What you will hear are voices whispering to each other. They will silence themselves quickly but with practice, you will become more adept at catching and interpreting what they are saying. You will hear things of the past, the present, and the future. However, you must be careful. Because there is no such thing as a voice without a body.

And when you start noticing them, they will start noticing you.


I wouldn't think of Cupcakes as Creepypasta, though. In general I've always looked at them as creepy stories, not creepy fanfiction.


Usually creepypastas take a concept of something you already know and feel safe with, and then, suddenly, they take a twisted turn, which takes you by surprise and unnerves you. Cupcakes is a fanfic, and we know it's 'fictional' before we read it.
You could call that scene from "Party of One" in MLP as a bit Creepypasta.
User avatar
MacSimon
 
Posts: 4481
Joined: February 26th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Location: A planet in space.

Re: Creepypasta

Postby Cannetella » July 7th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Oh God.
All creepypasta terrifies the crap out of me. I can't read it without freaking out like a sissy little girl.
Ironic, given that I'm currently doing a horror comic.
=.=

I do love Slenderman, though.

Scary stories are absolutely awesome to tell. I love telling them to large groups and watching their faces.
Image
User avatar
Cannetella
 
Posts: 708
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Re: Creepypasta

Postby YakkitySax » July 7th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I guess just scary stories in general? Chilling stories about favorite fandoms don't scare me at all, probably because like you said, I already know it's fictional from the beginning. They mostly make me go "Oh god why...?!"

Moar favorites.

Many classic horror icons, such as Geger’s xenomorphs, Silent Hill’s Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.
Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.
The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

… Just be careful out there.
I love you, spam bots.
jan83fry wrote:It's my pleasure to get an opportunity to discuss in this reputed forum. I love seeing people thrive online. It's such a great opportunity I have today.

My Sketchbook
User avatar
YakkitySax
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: IT'S GON' RAIN

Re: Creepypasta

Postby Cannetella » July 7th, 2011, 11:18 pm

I really love the ones you're posting, YakkitySax.
They're nice and short, but they're creepy as hell.
O.O

Edit : Can someone explained the Ben Drowned one to me?
Image
User avatar
Cannetella
 
Posts: 708
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Re: Creepypasta

Postby eishiya » July 7th, 2011, 11:47 pm

I haven't read creepypasta in years, so I'm glad for this thread. Yakkity, keep posting <3 You have excellent taste.

My favourite creepypasta are those that explain common mythology, misconceptions, and scientific unknowns (especially human biology, like that ringing ears one). A comic I'm working on is a sort of love letter to this kind of creepypasta, along with other horror short stories and creepy folklore, and I hope I can evoke the same kind of feeling.

Oddly, my favourite creepypasta isn't of that type at all - it's the red eyes one, perhaps because the imagery is so vivid. I even did a sketch comic of it once.

I think my first creepypasta was one of the SCP ones, the insta-kill golem. I don't particularly care for the SCP series.

I don't think they're scary, but I love that fleeting feeling of doubt that comes from reading an alternate and supernatural explanation for something mundane.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9728
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Creepypasta

Postby Hunterkirizaki » July 7th, 2011, 11:58 pm

eishiya wrote:I think my first creepypasta was one of the SCP ones, the insta-kill golem. I don't particularly care for the SCP series.

I don't think they're scary, but I love that fleeting feeling of doubt that comes from reading an alternate and supernatural explanation for something mundane.


My favorite SCP is 093; it's a really in-depth one.

I enjoy reading the SCP stuff sometimes. Haven't done so recently, but my brother introduced me to it and quite a few are well thought out.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Hunterkirizaki
 
Posts: 1928
Joined: June 20th, 2007, 7:15 pm

Re: Creepypasta

Postby eishiya » July 8th, 2011, 12:03 am

Ah, my first was 173, the very first one. Thanks for the wiki link. I didn't even know there was a wiki or that there were quite that many SCP stories. As I said, it's been years ):
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9728
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Creepypasta

Postby Extreme5000 » July 8th, 2011, 12:24 am

Thank you all for posting <3. Anyway, I like the Ben one because well...It's written well, and is actually so believing, you'd swear it was real.
Image

I have a Shotgun, your argument is invalid.

HAHAHA
Like hell I'm clicking on that.
Porn viruses ahoy!
User avatar
Extreme5000
 
Posts: 369
Joined: February 24th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: In Jadasuable's Dorm, Chilling With Ben

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 22 guests