What are some of your fondest memories?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

What are some of your fondest memories?

Postby Seven Rain » July 22nd, 2009, 12:11 pm

Anyone who knows me even a little bit knows I love reminiscing and nostalgia, and cherish my childhood memories. :3
... But what about you guys? Let's look back on some of our fondest memories!

For me, all kinds of things can feel nostalgic, (even tastes and smells sometimes, XD) but the stuff that really sticks out in my mind are my childhood memories...
Memories of playing Yoshi's Island and Zelda on the SNES...
Memories of listening to bands like Hum, Creed, Goo Goo Dolls...
Playing and bickering with my younger siblings...

Heathcliff...
.hack//SIGN...
DBZ...
Pokemon...
SNES...
Gameboy Color...
I could go on forever about my beloved memories and the awesomeness of the 90's! XD

What about you guys? Don't be afraid to share!
(And no bashing/flaming, guys! A thread started by Seven stays friendly! >:3)
Seven Rain

Re: What are some of your fondest memories?

Postby Sai » July 22nd, 2009, 1:28 pm

Hm, fondest memories. A lot of my fondest ones were when I still lived in Guam...Hitting cousins with really heavy sticks as a little kid, going out to the beach at the crack of dawn, burning slugs off my door with a lighter, going to flea markets and Asian grocery stores, going to family gatherings for barbecue and karaoke, driving late at night with my dad to drop off catering orders...

I miss my island.
Sai

Postby Nicholas » July 22nd, 2009, 4:15 pm

Well this one time, me and my buddies got really drunk up in this trailer in the woods. We had a lot of beer and a lot of cigarettes. We were very drunk. Then we went to bed me and my friend Asa talked about high level physics and spooned to keep warm(it was the middle of the winter)! The next day we went to McDonald's and ordered the 50 piece chicken nugget and a bunch of other shit. Then we ate. After that we did a live action version of the Doctor Who season 2 finale. It was epic and fun.

Oh and on the way up there I sat in the back on my friends truck and listened to Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot while watching the wintry road. That was breath taking.
The sky was the color of a Tv tuned to a dead channel.
Nicholas

Postby Takiusa » July 22nd, 2009, 4:23 pm

I remember when I was 3 or 4 years old, my mum rode me on her bike to school XD But once we went by foot, and we were late so we started running and my mother fell to the ground O_O that memory is stuck in my mind!
And I also get very nostalgic when I play Zelda oracle of seasons XD It makes me remember one summer with my cousin, in a house next to the beach. we were all day on the beach or playing that zelda game or a racing car one. And also we watched the whole Ragnarok the animation XD when I see it again makes me remember that great summer :D
Takiusa

Postby naejembocaj » July 22nd, 2009, 11:39 pm

I remember a Halloween when I told an elderly teacher of mine that one of the decorative gravestones belonged to her;
I remember a family reunion where my grandfather got pissed off at his dentures and tossed them out of the window;
I can recall a time when I attempted to categorize different types of dirt by taste;
I can remember getting a Nintendo 64 the day it was released, along with a copy of Zelda: OoT, BOTH of which I still own;
I vaguely remember being told that I had to have a lung removed, for no apparent reason, although I am certain I still have both;
I remember catching fireflies one night and getting really pissed because they made unreliable nightlights;

...and others. Some of these may not seem like good memories, but I remember so little of my life, that what I do remember, I make sure to cherish, even if said memory was not particularly pleasant.
naejembocaj

Postby Mr Aids » July 23rd, 2009, 1:49 am

I remember going to Syria by myself when I was 4, and I remember that was the happiest time of my life.

Because I was away from my parents.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby misuzu » July 23rd, 2009, 9:16 am

Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the 90s because I was an idiot and got my head cracked open. Strangely, I do remember one Cristmas Eve night when I had to be one or two years old. We were visiting Family down in Iowa. Granny China had a small apartment over her old white house that she rented out to another family member. I was(supossed to be) sleeping in the bedroom, but while everyone else was sleeping I ran out into the livingroom and woke up the other baby and we ate all of the candy canes. I even remember pooping my diaper.

I also remember my favorite Christmas. I was 5 or 6. I wanted a picnic toy set and I'd only told mom the night before and I got it! and a tea set to boot. I was so freaking happy, I kept it all until I was twelve.

Other than I that, all the other memories I can think of are pretty bad to mediorcre.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
misuzu

Postby X4I » July 23rd, 2009, 9:51 am

A fond childhood memory..

I remember sitting in class, drenched in fake blood and making everybody very very nervous by refusing to talk, or participate in any of the 4ssbackwards celebrations.
That day, not one of the little pricks in my class dared to lay a finger on me and even that C of a teacher stayed out of my face. Eventually i even managed to make her gag and run out of the class. I guess the slow blood drooling and dead stare got to her after an hour or so..
Not one of them knew i wouldn't be back for school the week after. It was my last day in that sh!thole and it was my private little secret that i would never have to see any of them again.

Yeah, i'm fond of that memory.

Oh, almost forgot: At that same age, every time the air raid sirens where tested, i hoped the soviets would finally drop the bomb. Okay, so it was sick and it lasted only a few seconds a month, but damnit, it made me happy.
"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me."
Nathaniel Lee

X4I

Postby naejembocaj » July 23rd, 2009, 11:58 pm

X4I wrote:A fond childhood memory..

I remember sitting in class, drenched in fake blood and making everybody very very nervous by refusing to talk, or participate in any of the 4ssbackwards celebrations.
That day, not one of the little pricks in my class dared to lay a finger on me and even that C of a teacher stayed out of my face. Eventually i even managed to make her gag and run out of the class. I guess the slow blood drooling and dead stare got to her after an hour or so..
Not one of them knew i wouldn't be back for school the week after. It was my last day in that sh!thole and it was my private little secret that i would never have to see any of them again.

Yeah, i'm fond of that memory.

Oh, almost forgot: At that same age, every time the air raid sirens where tested, i hoped the soviets would finally drop the bomb. Okay, so it was sick and it lasted only a few seconds a month, but damnit, it made me happy.

You are sick. That is to say, awesome. I'm wishing I had thought of that the last time I moved.
naejembocaj

Postby Seven Rain » July 24th, 2009, 2:47 am

It's cool to see people actually sharing. ^^ I didn't even think I'd get more than one or two posts. XD
Reminiscing can be so fun sometimes, can't it?

Also, does anyone remember the "Felix the Cat" movie?
Earlier I was thinking about old cartoons and suddenly remembered the first time I watched it as a kid.
It was such an amazing experience for me... I dare say it was one of the biggest factors in my obsession with fantasy and cartoons in general.
Seven Rain

Postby SuperBiasedMan » July 24th, 2009, 7:08 am

I thought I wouldn't have anything to contribute here since my memories aren't very definite. (They're more of a jumbled non-sense that really only go back a few years)
But I thought of a classic moment from school.
Back when we were reasonably new to Flight of the Conchords and everyone in my group of friends loved them, we were all sitting on a bench at lunch.
One person who particularly loved them started singing 'I'm Not Crying' and one by one all four of us that were there joined in, so all four of us were singing it together :D.
But even better was this moment I remember perfectly:
ALL: I've just been cutting onions!
ALL (with unnecessary over-exaggeration): I'm making a lasagne...
Just one Guy: For one...

Awesome, makes me think we should spontaneously burst into song more often.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I played Yoshi Island, super mario rpg, and zombies ate my neighbors a lot as a kid.

when I was 9ish to 11ish my best friend and I had paper routes that were next to each other. we would walk together and do them both. the streets weren't real busy so we would make up dance choreography and new funny lyrics to pre-exsisting songs. I can only Imagine what the people waiting for their paper were thinking. We would also sing a lot of Billy joel, and music off our parent's records from the 50s, 60s, 70s. And we made fake radio talk shows on recorded tapes while walking to Puffin Stop (<--gas station) to spend our weeks pay on powdered donuts and Iced honey buns.

The picture of me in my Avatar is of a day of side walk chalk drawing... only about 2 years ago... I still rock the childhood nostalgia.

Postby IDONTKNOWCORP » July 24th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Gawd i feel young...

The highlight reel of my life thus far would go...
The first time riding a roller coaster, the ride locked up as we were on the apex of the first drop. I had a 20 minute open discussion with my father, I don't think we've been that open that since.
The excitement of catching one of my first fish, and falling in the water shortly thereafter.
And the first time standing on a mountain and nearly falling back in awe...
IDONTKNOWCORP

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2009, 10:28 pm

mine involve playing games like final fantasy vii and star ocean the second story, for the very first time. also playing super mario world on the snes for hours. and watching GOOD cartoons on tv, not to mention that sailor moon was still running (and i was too young to realize how much the voice acting and english script sucked). XD plus some of my favorite anime ran on tv at that time...plus foxkids. (stupid 4kids...)

also at christmas my mom would play a kenny g christmas album. that music is engraved into my memory as "holiday." even if it IS kenny g.

at thanksgiving my brother, sister, mom, and i (and occasionally my dad) would go to oklahoma to visit my nana. i miss road trips period.

i used to go online just to find sailor moon pictures to print, put in my snappy little binder, and then show them off at school to my best friend.

also i got all a's in elementary school....i miss that since entering college. XD

when i was little my dad would throw me above his head towards the ceiling then catch me. (closest thing to a roller coaster until recently XD )

i miss playing sailor moon meets dbz and some other toys my brother had with him, too....

aw, man...i'm sad now...

Postby naejembocaj » July 29th, 2009, 10:58 pm

It seems that much of your childhood revolved around Sailor Moon. You also sound like my sister.

...Neither of those were insults, by the way. N-not that I like Sailor Moon or anything, although I do like my sister -- no, not that way... Oh, screw it.
naejembocaj

Next

Return to General Discussion