Can I survive with minimum wage on my own?

A board designated for discussion of personal issues.
Forum rules
Due to the often sensitive nature of the discussions occurring in Life Issues, we ask that you be particularly considerate and respectful toward posters here. Violation of this request will be considered a violation of the rules.

Can I survive with minimum wage on my own?

Postby TKGB_Cocker » August 19th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Oh boy. This is it for me. Apparently, the apartment I've been living in for the past 25 years may be gone. Our landlord is evicting us due to...something. I think failure of rent or whatnot and has brought the court into it. I don't know but I have a feeling that we're not going to survive this ordeal and we're going to be kicked out. We being my family. I don't know what my family is thinking but I'm thinking "gotta go live somewhere else now". Problem is, I only have a minimum wage job that gets me $1000 a month tops, and that's if I even do all 40 hours every week. So I got pityful cash, no car, and no idea where to go. So I don't know what to do.

So with that, I figured I'd like in a car when I buy on. Sure beats paying $700 for rent that I do not have. The only problem is hygene but I think I know a place to take a shower and I know a good public restroom. I wish it stayed open 24 hours though. There's that, or I could take up one of those ads where someone offers a room for $500 a month. I can afford that...I think, but it kinda creeps me out to live with someone I don't know.

I'm not sure what to do of this situation but it's a freaking wake up call that's telling me "mooching time is over, time to get a real life". I don't want one but it really is time because I have been thinking about my future lately. It's kinda embarrasing for me to tell you ppl but I'll tell you my dream is to live in a tall apartment. Tallest in the city, or just really tall. I'd also like to have a daughter. I've really been fantasizing about that alot. But where I'm at right now, there will be only cardboard box with a Wii but no TV to play it with. :(

Umm...anyways, I guess I should ask, is it possible for me to survive at this current state, or am I screwed?
TKGB_Cocker

Re: Can I survive with minimum wage on my own?

Postby Momentosis » August 20th, 2010, 12:00 am

Be a hobo.
Momentosis
Scrooge

Postby UrbanMysticDee » August 20th, 2010, 12:01 am

From what I've read the minimum living wage for one adult in the United States is $25,000 per year. It varies slightly from region to region.

Check here for where you live:
http://www.livingwage.geog.psu.edu/

Momentosis, don't be a jackass.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby white4lima » August 20th, 2010, 12:29 am

There used to be places someone could stay for cheap while they got their feet under them, most notably the Y. I don't think the Y does that anymore, but if there's one nearby you might want to look into it. It sounds like you've got a lot of rough times ahead, and you may have to get a second job to make ends meet until you work your way up in the world. I don't recommend you do what I did, which was run off to the recruiter for room and board. The military will put a roof over your head, but the costs of such a roof are apparent to those who have a glimpse of what is going on in the world, politically.
white4lima

Postby TKGB_Cocker » August 20th, 2010, 12:32 am

@UrbanMysticDee: Checked out the site. I'm officially poor. :(

@Momentosis: Why are you in this sub-board again?

@white4lima: That's a real coincidence. Someone in another forum suggested the army. Talk about synchronicity.
TKGB_Cocker

Postby sam-the-spooky » August 20th, 2010, 12:47 am

Honestly, I would try talking to your family. Unless you absolutely cannot live with them, try looking together for another place. Right now is hardly the time to strike out on your own (I tried and failed miserably) and if you can assist them in any way, it's better than trying to take on the world alone. So you make $1000 a month, that can be $1000 added on to whatever your family might contribute. Together, things might seem a lot less scary. This can always be temporary too, just until you either work out a better situation, find a better paying job, or something else equally better. You have lots of time to start working on your future but if it's not looking like it's happening now, do not force it. It could hurt you later on. So just stick with as many people as you can and try to make it work as a group.

I hope this is all relevant and I didn't misread anywhere. I hope it works out for you. Being homeless is a really shitty deal. So is living in hotels. Or out of cars.
sam-the-spooky

Postby UrbanMysticDee » August 20th, 2010, 1:06 am

sam-the-spooky wrote:Honestly, I would try talking to your family. Unless you absolutely cannot live with them, try looking together for another place. Right now is hardly the time to strike out on your own (I tried and failed miserably) and if you can assist them in any way, it's better than trying to take on the world alone. So you make $1000 a month, that can be $1000 added on to whatever your family might contribute. Together, things might seem a lot less scary. This can always be temporary too, just until you either work out a better situation, find a better paying job, or something else equally better. You have lots of time to start working on your future but if it's not looking like it's happening now, do not force it. It could hurt you later on. So just stick with as many people as you can and try to make it work as a group.

I hope this is all relevant and I didn't misread anywhere. I hope it works out for you. Being homeless is a really shitty deal. So is living in hotels. Or out of cars.

I agree.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby white4lima » August 20th, 2010, 3:05 am

TKGB_Cocker wrote:@white4lima: That's a real coincidence. Someone in another forum suggested the army. Talk about synchronicity.

The advice above this post is extremely valuable, sticking together with your family is the best answer, and if you're chipping in your $1000 a month then you're hardly mooching.

The reason why I DO NOT recommend running to the military is because it is not a boy's club (as a recruiter will lead you to believe). This is something I learned the hard way, disillusioned by the exciting stories of blowing shit up. Unless you actually want to serve your country -- and I do mean serve your country in the most literal sense -- the military is not the place for you. If a recruiter tries to get you by saying you'll make a ton of money, I'd recommend looking at the actual pay grades online and comparing. The military doesn't really pay that much to its lower enlisted.
white4lima

Postby gun21 » August 20th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Where do you work?
gun21

Postby TKGB_Cocker » August 20th, 2010, 10:49 pm

@white4lima: Yeah, I'm not really interested in military. I don't think it's the thing for me.

@gun21: I work a Quiznos.
TKGB_Cocker

Postby Izkata » August 21st, 2010, 11:30 am

While I agree that sticking with your family is best, at least in the short term, Momentosis's "Be a hobo." reminded me of this:
http://www.violentacres.com/archives/32 ... -measures/

It's an interesting idea, and would require a helluva lot of determination, so not everyone can do it, but...
Izkata

Postby TKGB_Cocker » August 21st, 2010, 12:13 pm

As far as I know, I don't have a single cent of debt besides my laptop and internet service that I got by accident but my comp is almost paid off in 2 months and the internet service is only 20 bucks a month. Even if it's only the rent, it's about the landlord wanting to repair the apartment so he can jack up the price, so I'll still have no place to go to after I "pay off my debts".

BTW, that article had no affect on me. I'd lived the same way except in a apartment. Even if I lived in a car, it'd still live the same way.
TKGB_Cocker

Postby Nym.Katharina » August 23rd, 2010, 8:23 pm

I really suggest a second job (part time) and saving up every spare penny that you find. As awful as this sounds, you might want to sacrifice your internet for a while and save yourself $20. I dunno, might want to keep your eyes open at shelters and soup kitchens until you have some money under your belt.
Nym.Katharina

Postby Jennie Mars » August 28th, 2010, 5:04 pm

You should read the novel "Nickel and Dimed." It's literally about making it on minimum wage- it's a journalistic novel written by a PhD who took on various minimum-wage jobs to see if she could survive on them. Note, she didn't have very good quality of life or free time, definitely no time for school or social stuff.
Unless she can reach them, they're all going to die.

Authority versus Destiny
Jennie Mars

Postby Admin » September 4th, 2010, 11:10 pm

I agree that sticking with your family through these hard times is probably a good idea.

That being said, here's some advice on renting a room in a house. It can be a pretty good situation given you find a good place. That's what I'm doing right now. What I did was I checked out about 8 places I found on craigslist... some of them I was definitely not interested in, and some of them were good. I pay $400/mo in rent plus utilities, and I live in a pretty decent place. There were a few places that were cheaper and included utilities - they weren't as nice, but I would have gladly lived there on a tight budget.
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Life Issues