Life's a Lich Review

A board designated for full, article-length reviews of webcomics, local or foreign.
Forum rules
How things work around here:

1) Webcomics get nominated for review in the Nominations for Review forum.
    2) People pick a webcomic to review and commit to writing an article-quality review of the comic by posting in its nomination thread.
    3) When complete, the review gets posted here, in the main forum.

Life's a Lich Review

Postby benzy » July 7th, 2014, 3:18 am

Comic: Life's a Lich
Creator: Sasoman

This is a review for Life's a Lich by Sasoman. I am by no means a professional reviewer but I wanted to contribute to the review thread and take a look at this here comic. This review is only my opinion of this comic, your thoughts may well vary and I urge you to read and find out for yourself.

Summary: The comic starts off by telling the reader that the main character, Valerie, is in fact dead, yet although she is no longer living she is among the living. The comic proceeds to tell the story about how this came to be, introducing the rather odd ball character and her dog (her only friend?) and her over protective parents. I don't want to give too much of the story away so I will try to be vague.

Website/format: The website is a typical Smackjeeves website with a few additions, it works and serves it's purpose. (I can't say much, I have a Smackjeeves provided layout as well.) Though after a certain amount of time and once you get a certain following a more custom layout that best represents ones comic would be nice. The comic itself is laid out well, easy to read. The word bubbles are clean and well fitted to the text.

Story/ writing: The story itself is pretty unique, and the character dialogue is free of any glaring errors and pretty believable. The creator is pretty good at making you interested in the story and the characters, I come away liking the main character Valerie, and wanting to know more. There are some issues however, issues that effect many beginning comic writers including myself. One of the main issues is pacing. The comic goes by fast and because of that many of the word bubbles have many lines of dialog, or the panels have multiple bubbles. It gets wordy and tedious to read, and things happen so fast I barely have time to digest it or realize what's happening. Because of this sometimes I have a hard time figuring out exactly what's going on. lots of actions and explanations are condensed down into a few pages. I found myself re-reading pages 28-30 in particular because I couldn't quite understand what was happening. A character was introduced and then used as a plot device in those 3 pages alone with no build up or explanation earlier in the comic and it just make it hard to figure out.

Another issue, though this is my preference, is the way the story goes from dramatic and eerie to absurd and comedic. Now I have no issue with combining genre's, and have seen comics combine drama, horror and comedy in much the same way. However when I read this one I find the switches from funny to dramatic take me out of the story. Both sides of it are presented well, the jokes are well set up and funny. But they are absurd to a point where it makes the horror/drama side of the comic lose it's punch. It's hard for me personally to take a comic about a girl dying and coming back as a lich serious when her dog wins ten dollars from a lottery after a rather amusing early 1900's flashback segment. I feel it would be better if the writer either went with a zany, less dramatic approach or toned down the comedy into believable comedy, but again this is just my personal preference.

Art: The art is good, not the best, and not the worst. The artist is in that awkward middle stage where they can draw, and everything they draw is distinguishable, but the figures look stiff and inconsistent. I can empathize with this though, because I'm in the same boat myself :(. The only thing for it is practice, practice, practice.

Overall I would give this comic a 3/5. It has some growing to do, but I feel that the story is unique and it has a lot of possibilities if the flaws are worked on.
benzy

Re: Life's a Lich Review

Postby Sasoman » July 8th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Thank you for the review!

It's my first comic script so I'll take what you said about wordiness and pacing to heart

You put a lot of time into this I can tell and I really really appreciate it. Thank you!
Sasoman

Re: Life's a Lich Review

Postby benzy » July 8th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Sasoman wrote:Thank you for the review!

It's my first comic script so I'll take what you said about wordiness and pacing to heart

You put a lot of time into this I can tell and I really really appreciate it. Thank you!

As I said, this story has a lot of potential and you are doing excellently, just need to slow down the pacing a bit. I know it's a pain in the butt, but a good way to think about it is if you were wanting to tell a story with words you would want to write a novel instead. Sometimes you need to utilize the pictures alone to tell the story. It's a hard thing to learn, I'm still trying to learn proper pacing. What I've been doing lately is trying to limit how much dialogue is on a single panel, a max of about two sentences per bubble and two bubbles per panel can help. Sometimes it's not possible to do during certain wordier segments, but for general conversation between characters it should work.
benzy

Return to Webcomic Reviews