Soul Mechas

A board designated for full, article-length reviews of webcomics, local or foreign.
Forum rules
How things work around here:

1) Webcomics get nominated for review in the Nominations for Review forum.
    2) People pick a webcomic to review and commit to writing an article-quality review of the comic by posting in its nomination thread.
    3) When complete, the review gets posted here, in the main forum.

Soul Mechas

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » July 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm

I'm going to break down my review into 5 basic points: 1) My first impressions 2) The Plot 3) The Narrative (the style and technique used to communicate that story) 4) the Characters and 5) the Art.

Disclaimer: I am not and do not claim to be an authority on webcomics. My opinions are just opinions, are completely subjective based on my personal likes and dislikes. I offer this and all reviews as creative criticisms and constructive feedback, not personal attacks, and are voiced with the utmost respect for the artists and authors, whom I regard as my peers.

Now with ratings~! XD

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
“300 robots are implated with artificial souls and sent to live with 'foster families' to test the new technology. After twenty years, they are collected by the labratory, analyzed, and put into storage.

Seventeen years later, they wake up. With no idea where they are or what happened, they share their memories and plan a vendetta against their host families. All, that is, except one.

285 was treated kindly by her family. With an unexplainable love for humans, she disguises herself as a young woman and makes it her mission to warn the former host families of their swift fate.

But is it worth it?

(Reads left-to-right)”

I’ll say it straight up. Good profile summery. It tells a lot about the story without “telling” a lot about the story (AKA: Letting you know what it’s about without giving any information/spoilers away). The banner though doesn’t make me want to hop in reading I highly recommend that you make your banner stand out a little more considering majority of what is being shown (although your summery is good) is going to be the banner. And I like the new opening/prologue page (yeah I’ve read this before with the little mini art critique).

4/10 –Interesting summery but the banner doesn’t catch the eye

PLOT

The opening is a page long so it’s not a lot of “back tracking” or anything and the story starts immediately and we now know that our main/one of our mains is in fact a robot that cared for their human owners even when “she” was taken apart and thrown away. You meet Jessica as she comes into a bar and right when she’s ordering she’s greeted by an old “friend”, Vaughn, who’s pretty much telling her “Get outta town!” And when Jessica agrees with Vaughn how she shouldn’t be there some robot greets Vaughn with a “you remember me?” look. In chapter 2 there’s some talking about a guy that created the Mechas (most likely the man in the next page) and how much the one [robot] who’s speaking/thinking hates him.
--------------------------------------------
The story moves on very quickly and easily sparks some interest (for some reason the 1st chapter brings old western/cowboy movies to mind but hey caught my interest nevertheless). All the characters felt introduced naturally and gave enough to get a feel for the characters’ personalities. The end of the chapter did bring some confusion when the robot appeared it felt random and out of place it made me go: “Whut? Who’s that and what is she doing there?” I get where you were going but at first I thought it was Jessica after she took off her disguise (shoot me if I’m being far fetched).

8/10-Intresting but can be a little confusing

NARRATIVE

1st /3rd person with Jessica as our main girl

The pages and panels flow well over all but I had real difficulty reading the page [Defeat] 4th wall panel breaking is fine but if it leads to the middle [between two panels] of the page it confuses the reader in the sense it feels like we’re skipping a panel or confused on what to read next. What I believe confused me the most on the robot in the next page was the fact that Jessica was smirking [slyly] the page before so I believed she could’ve pulled some trick and snuck behind him, remember the reader reads the comic with the information you give them through the picture and words filling between the panels/pages so make sure it “reads” clearly.

8.5/10-Good over all but some things you should be careful with unless you want the reader to get confused.

CHARACTERS

Jessica- not much is known about her but she has that mysterious, cool air around her I bet the best word for her is “Sassy.”

Vaughn- Tough guy that knows a good deal about Jessica and appears not to like her a whole lot. He gets smacked by a robot.

Robot- Female robot that knows Vaughn and smacks him on the back of the head randomly.

Demarco J. Morgan- Scientist who created said robots and shares that arrogance that all villain scientists have with that “oooh this invention can make me more powerful than GOD!!!” So yeah not much to say about him.

5/10- Interesting start off with the characters but it’s the first chapter so not a whole lot to go on.

ART
The art’s really good it has a more western kind of style and it’s all done traditionally and because of that she doesn’t depend on screen tones/gradients to fill up space (Applauds). The pencil shading is good but there could be a little more line variation on the outside. The writing is readable, no cookie-cutter faces, anatomy isn’t wonky, there are backgrounds shown, art flows so over all everything is done very well.

9/10- Good art that suits the series, basic advice (fix hands, darken speed lines a little, don’t get lazy with hatching)

OTHER OBSERVATIONS, SUGGESTIONS & SUMMERY
Soul Mechas is interesting (so far) with a suiting art style and overall seems like it has pretty good potential but since it’s barely starting out so far I would recommend it to those that are more interested in sci-fi.

OVERALL:
B+
The presentation is good and the opening is pretty interesting but since it’s just starting out I can’t say much.
Last edited by blackmoongirl2424 on July 6th, 2010, 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
blackmoongirl2424

Re: Soul Mechas

Postby Jennie Mars » July 6th, 2010, 12:11 am

Thank you so much! I know there wasn't much to go on, so I appreciate the length of the review!

I agree with the nit-picky things (hands, line variation, hatching) and I'm doing my best to work on these. Paneling is also something I've had difficulty with, so it's good to hear this kind of feedback this early in the game.

I understand where the confusion comes in, and we'll pick up where chapter 1 left off in chapter 3 so it will be explained better there.

Once again, thank you very much! This was very helpful and I will do my best to utilize your suggestions. :D

Additon: I have since changed the banner for this webcomic ^_^
Last edited by Jennie Mars on July 6th, 2010, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless she can reach them, they're all going to die.

Authority versus Destiny
Jennie Mars

Re: Soul Mechas

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » July 6th, 2010, 3:08 am

Jennie Mars wrote:Thank you so much! I know there wasn't much to go on, so I appreciate the length of the review!

I agree with the nit-picky things (hands, line variation, hatching) and I'm doing my best to work on these. Paneling is also something I've had difficulty with, so it's good to hear this kind of feedback this early in the game.

I understand where the confusion comes in, and we'll pick up where chapter 1 left off in chapter 3 so it will be explained better there.

Once again, thank you very much! This was very helpful and I will do my best to utilize your suggestions. :D

No prob! I'm glad to help and good luck with your series! XD
blackmoongirl2424

Return to Webcomic Reviews