first time on here, gonna make a series of mini comics.

Discuss specific genres here. If your post fits into one of the subforums, post it there.

first time on here, gonna make a series of mini comics.

Postby ewolf20 » April 23rd, 2018, 11:01 am

now, I'm by no means new to comics. I sometimes do sketches of them, or do the occasional comic sometimes, but never in a matter that needed scripts, outlines, or thumbnails. I just did it. now you may not know this but i got a traumatic brain injury from It's not too bad but it's bad enoguh that it prevents me from doing anything creative. same applies to schoolwork honestly. i'm even beginning to think my intelligence is beginning to decline as time goes on.

but i'm trying my best to not like this prevent from the things i loved. If i did it before, I sure as heck can do it again....even if my art is lackluster. (sadly i lost most of my art files and the comic i have on here is the only means to access if my art is decent or not, so go there if you wanna see my portfolio).

but....here's the thing....my comic is on the unconventional side of thing. the first thing that sets it apart is how I wanted the setting to be less of the standard fantasy fare you see and have it take place in a garden. the main characters are bugs but that won't matter as long as their relatable (if you relate to not being considered eligible of being a soldier). then finally, I don't think it might garner enoguh readers unless I shell out cash to get it on the front page. So what that boils down to reluntance on doing it as i posted a comic before but not much people seen it. I can't blame them though as there's nothing going on to garner interest in the masses. now learning this, what can i do as a comic creator to get my work out there? (without spending money).

p.s: would you read a comic that explores several tribes of insect people doing stuff? along with a focus of how the spirit world affects the living world but with bugs?
ewolf20

Re: first time on here, gonna make a series of mini comics.

Postby AltCat » April 23rd, 2018, 1:09 pm

ewolf20 wrote:here's the thing....my comic is on the unconventional side of thing. the first thing that sets it apart is how I wanted the setting to be less of the standard fantasy fare you see and have it take place in a garden. the main characters are bugs but that won't matter as long as their relatable (if you relate to not being considered eligible of being a soldier).

p.s: would you read a comic that explores several tribes of insect people doing stuff? along with a focus of how the spirit world affects the living world but with bugs?

Having read something just today about exploding suicide ants, then a garden bug setting sounds almost a perfect one for a soldier story. Have not seen that many things set in such environment either, so it would probably have the benefit (and drawback) of being pretty niche.

The spirit things part sounds like it could quickly turn Avatar-ish though. Guess it attracts as many as it scares away, so one way or another probably doesn't matter for reader numbers. ;)
AltCat

Postby kayotics » April 23rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

A comic about bugs isn't completely unconventional. Just not all that common. I think as long as the comic is interesting, the characters could really be anything. Bugs, humans, robots, monsters, dogs, whatever. The actual species of the cast of characters doesn't matter as much as how you portray them. Consider the movies A Bug's Life or Antz. They're just about bugs. Or the Cars movies. Those aren't even living objects, but those movies are WILDLY popular with kids.

Also, I'd say that there's a lot of popular webcomics that don't actually advertise. Making it into the spotlight on the front page of Smackjeeves is a matter of free promotion, and the 'popular' tab is whoever has the biggest following. You can do do your own free advertising by posting on forums or joining communities and having your signature be a link to your comic. If you have any social media accounts you can post it on there and share with your followers. There's a lot of ways to advertise for free. There's also quite a few articles about how to get word about your webcomic out there that you can find through a quick google search.

If you want to make a comic about bugs in a garden, you should do it. You should make something that you want to read, rather than making something that you want to get on the front page of a comic site. Sure, comments and popularity are nice and can be fun, but a LOT of people get into comics because they love it, not because they're going to make it big.
kayotics

Postby ewolf20 » April 23rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

kayotics wrote:If you want to make a comic about bugs in a garden, you should do it. You should make something that you want to read, rather than making something that you want to get on the front page of a comic site. Sure, comments and popularity are nice and can be fun, but a LOT of people get into comics because they love it, not because they're going to make it big.

I like it but sometimes it would be nice that people are actually reading my stuff than jsut not bother to comment. im guilty of this so i'm gonna make an effort of commenting on people's stuff in hopes of getting noticed i guess. :mrgreen:

and to elaborate, its not gonna be about ants but beetles and spiders instead. my reason being anything smaller than my thumb won't be featured but anything bigger than it will...soooo, ants are out.
ewolf20

Postby AltCat » April 23rd, 2018, 3:19 pm

kayotics wrote:Consider the movies A Bug's Life or Antz. They're just about bugs. Or the Cars movies.

Are they not all really mostly about people though?

There are things at least a bit more about the things they seem to be about I guess, like that rabbit film. (Watership down) But those are unusual.

Now rabbits being mammals are still beings we assume have similar perceptions and responses we do, so translation may be more naturally implemented for such casts. But if one were to do a story that actually tries to tell of insects thoughts and emotions, that might be a quite "alien" experience.

ewolf20 wrote:
kayotics wrote:and to elaborate, its not gonna be about ants but beetles and spiders instead. my reason being anything smaller than my thumb won't be featured but anything bigger than it will...soooo, ants are out.

There are some pretty massive ants in case you ever feel need bending the rule.

Consider you are also missing out on ladybugs! :lol:
AltCat

Postby ewolf20 » April 23rd, 2018, 4:04 pm

AltCat wrote:
There are some pretty massive ants in case you ever feel need bending the rule.

Consider you are also missing out on ladybugs! :lol:

depends really. i'm just sick and tired of bug related things focusing on ants and i wanted to try something different with it. So, what better than to use rhino beetles...well they're not overly social but i wanted to make them more akin to spartans while keeping in mind the alien mindset you guys are talking about though i made them more humanized in both design and mind sooo.
ewolf20

Postby AltCat » April 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm

That is probably the sensible route.

It sound interesting anyway, so good luck with your project!
AltCat

Return to Genre-Specific Discussion