HYBRIDOR Review request

Nominate a webcomic for review here. You may suggest your own comic.

HYBRIDOR Review request

Postby Ulta » January 29th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Hello everyone who reads this! It would mean a lot if anyone took the time to review my current project, Hybridor.

http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=168869

It's my first 'big' project that I wanna commit to till it's completion. The story is quite large and has a long way to go still, but for now it only has 40-some pages to it. I would love to see if anything can be improved on while it's still in this baby stage. The story itself I'm not really seeking to change, but for the review, say whatever you feel needs to be said about anything. Art, story, characters, page layout, font, anything! I would like to know what I'm getting right and what could use some improving.

Thank you for anyone who takes time to do this =)
Ulta

Re: HYBRIDOR Review request

Postby Dark/Light » February 1st, 2018, 5:33 am

I don't like to mince words so I'll be blunt; it's good. Not the best I've ever seen but also not without potential.

Keep at it but don't push yourself... After all, 'the best artist is the one who has no deadline' a saying I use in class meaning that you're only finished when the art speaks to you.

I look forward to seeing how you progress from here. But DON'T ask if your work is good enough don't even let people think you are asking us for anything other than an opinion. Your work is your own and if people don't like it, then they should just shut up and stop reading/watching.
Dark/Light

Postby mitchellbravo » February 1st, 2018, 7:23 am

Dark/Light wrote:But DON'T ask if your work is good enough don't even let people think you are asking us for anything other than an opinion. Your work is your own and if people don't like it, then they should just shut up and stop reading/watching.

I'm sure your sentiment is appreciated but the author posted in the "nominations for review" forum which means they are, in fact, seeking opinions and feedback. They are free to choose which advice to take and which to ignore, and that's a healthy part of the creative process.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Ulta » February 2nd, 2018, 2:09 pm

Dark/Light wrote:I don't like to mince words so I'll be blunt; it's good. Not the best I've ever seen but also not without potential.

Keep at it but don't push yourself... After all, 'the best artist is the one who has no deadline' a saying I use in class meaning that you're only finished when the art speaks to you.

I look forward to seeing how you progress from here. But DON'T ask if your work is good enough don't even let people think you are asking us for anything other than an opinion. Your work is your own and if people don't like it, then they should just shut up and stop reading/watching.

Thanks for your words =) But as someone mentioned already, I am literally asking for feedback and seeing where I could improve. I'm preparing to get opinions thrown at me =P My biggest goal with a review is seeing if it gives the reader enough interest to want to keep reading, or if something is falling short that makes them lose interest.Figured the best way to see if that's happening is by getting a review and feedback =)
Ulta

Postby oscarlgz » October 30th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Ulta wrote:
Dark/Light wrote:I don't like to mince words so I'll be blunt; it's good. Not the best I've ever seen but also not without potential.

Thanks for your words =) But as someone mentioned already, I am literally asking for feedback and seeing where I could improve. I'm preparing to get opinions thrown at me =P My biggest goal with a review is seeing if it gives the reader enough interest to want to keep reading, or if something is falling short that makes them lose interest.Figured the best way to see if that's happening is by getting a review and feedback =)

Been following your comic for a couple of months now, and If you're looking for a review I would like to share my opinion:

I'm a huge fan of SciFi, and what I dislike the most is when an author makes a beatiful, complex and unique universe only to bring the most common problems that we already know from "our" universe, wasting the potential and effort of this new world to bring an unique situation and development. And your comic is a great example of what a good SciFi story is, and it tells me of a very inductive reasoning author.

I won't lie, the anthro universe is not one of my favorites (beside Two kinds), but your work with each of your characters unique traits is actually part of the story, and not just a copy-paste of ferals into our/another universe, and this indicates me that you have a real story behind, that you want to tell. Storywise, I love it and can't wait to know more.

Your character design overall (proportions, colors, expressions) is very pleasing, not to mention your way to draw "controlled" water is gorgeous; however, I have to object with the artistic style of the background; the faded background, while good in photography and perfect in cinema to bring the audience attention where you want it, the repetitive use of it in comics is more of a resource to avoid making backgrounds and when you combine the characters that were put so much effort into a background that needed to be squinted upon to see what it had, it leaves a discordant feeling in the reader overall the page. Personally, got me feeling that the characters didn't belong there, and were just uncomfortably pasted. Since backgrounds are one of the greatest issues among comics, don't overwork yourself in a complicated landscape, keep it simple but clear. An exception though, is your action filled scenes, to take an example, Ch1 Page 4 shows a great work by mixing the background and Misty and make them one in the page, they are in sync, because the depth of Misty combined with the background gives us a 3D character on a 3D background. But when the background is too blurry to find the perspective, makes it a 3D character on a 2D background.

Conclusion: Your work is pretty good 8/10, and I'll read it to the end because now you got me hooked on the story and characters.
oscarlgz

Postby Ulta » February 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Been following your comic for a couple of months now, and If you're looking for a review I would like to share my opinion:

I'm a huge fan of SciFi, and what I dislike the most is when an author makes a beatiful, complex and unique universe only to bring the most common problems that we already know from "our" universe, wasting the potential and effort of this new world to bring an unique situation and development. And your comic is a great example of what a good SciFi story is, and it tells me of a very inductive reasoning author.

I won't lie, the anthro universe is not one of my favorites (beside Two kinds), but your work with each of your characters unique traits is actually part of the story, and not just a copy-paste of ferals into our/another universe, and this indicates me that you have a real story behind, that you want to tell. Storywise, I love it and can't wait to know more.

Your character design overall (proportions, colors, expressions) is very pleasing, not to mention your way to draw "controlled" water is gorgeous; however, I have to object with the artistic style of the background; the faded background, while good in photography and perfect in cinema to bring the audience attention where you want it, the repetitive use of it in comics is more of a resource to avoid making backgrounds and when you combine the characters that were put so much effort into a background that needed to be squinted upon to see what it had, it leaves a discordant feeling in the reader overall the page. Personally, got me feeling that the characters didn't belong there, and were just uncomfortably pasted. Since backgrounds are one of the greatest issues among comics, don't overwork yourself in a complicated landscape, keep it simple but clear. An exception though, is your action filled scenes, to take an example, Ch1 Page 4 shows a great work by mixing the background and Misty and make them one in the page, they are in sync, because the depth of Misty combined with the background gives us a 3D character on a 3D background. But when the background is too blurry to find the perspective, makes it a 3D character on a 2D background.

Conclusion: Your work is pretty good 8/10, and I'll read it to the end because now you got me hooked on the story and characters.

Thank you so much for your review of sorts!

Yeah honestly the backgrounds are intentionally given the blur treatment a lot (for now). Unfortunately I ended up doing this more often than not because backgrounds we're taking me too long to do (even when attempting to simplify). I already use several brushes, but for buildings and the like (anything not nature basically) I'm quite...icky at. It's a poor excuse I know, but this project is still a solo one when it comes to the making of the pages. I have one flat colorist for the characters and that's it.

I hope one day I'll get help from someone who is more talented at backgrounds than I and can give it a more immersive treatment than I can do at present. I've been trying to limit the blurred backgrounds to just repeated backgrounds and saving my energy for those scenes where we go to a new location. Again not a good excuse, but as I am a one-lady army at present for this, I only got so much time and need to chop things where I can to keep to my deadline for each page =(

But thank you so much for the critique! I'm glad you took the time to share your thoughts, and I'm glad you are enjoying it so far!
Ulta

Return to Nominations for Review