Nominate MK's Jekyll & Hyde for a review?

Nominate a webcomic for review here. You may suggest your own comic.

Nominate MK's Jekyll & Hyde for a review?

Postby MK_Wizard » March 6th, 2018, 11:31 am

MK_Wizard

Re: Nominate MK's Jekyll & Hyde for a review?

Postby MK_Wizard » August 26th, 2018, 7:19 pm

So... does my webcomic qualify for a review? I updated the first three chapters with better art too.
MK_Wizard

Postby eishiya » August 26th, 2018, 7:52 pm

It qualifies, don't worry - there aren't really requirements. There aren't many people seeking to write reviews though ): And the longer the comic, the more work it is to do a review.
eishiya

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » August 27th, 2018, 4:20 am

Okay so this is a quick review based off the first two chapters, I'll give a more detailed note as I read more. So let's start. I would say this is a pretty creative concept, you most certainly have an idea of what you want to write, which is a quirkier version of the classic Jekyll and Hyde story. I think it's pretty creative how you label your comics as acts, kinda like a broadway play. You also have a very nice layout of a site, with the hands changing and everything. I actually would like to know how you got all those icons and links in the share this comic. Mine only has Facebook and a few other lesser known sites, so I'd like to know how you got tumbler and everything in there.

Story wise, there is a lot of creativity such as Hyde and Jekyll being able to communicate and how the two of them are complete shadows of each other, right down to color preferences. You also had some nice jokes about corporation and profits which I think are always funny.

In terms of critiques, I'll start with your site. You really should have a page list on the pages (look for the one at the top of my comic and you'll understand what I mean). You also should label your pages at the top. When reading I didn't know how much longer I had to go in the comic and my only method of navigation was the archive, which made me lose my place and I wasn't even sure what comic I had read last.

Story wise, I felt that the first chapter was a little boring. While I kinda liked the jokes, I was growing impatient for the Hyde transformation and was pretty irritated when I had to go a full chapter before getting it. I think you should've focused on selling the idea before providing so much backstory, while I appreciate what you did with Jekyll and his backstory about how everyone gets to him, I was waiting for the change and felt tempted to turn away. I think maybe you could've given us at least a hint or a mid change at some point to keep us interested. The second chapter was much better, though I do question when this takes place. Everyone uses carriages and dresses like the 1800s london, but Hyde gets a white t-shirt. But to be fair, I've been up this path myself, so I'll forgive the slow start.

I really think what you should work on is the artwork. I will not say that your artwork is bad, as I have seen many different art styles and feel you do have the start of a nice style that can go somewhere. But I think it needs some work looking a bit more appealing. Everything looks so stiff and less fluidic. I think you would benefit from adding some line weight, as it would make you characters look more 3 dimensional and less flat. I also think you could use some more detail in the backgrounds so that they actually look like they are somewhere. Some comics like Garfield do make use of less background, but even those benefit from great line weight to make everything pop more. I also think some of your proportions and sizes are little questionable (why is the head in the cariage the size of Jekyll's body). For all the issues I've just said, I think your drawings of Hyde are the best. With the broad shoulders and detail to the chest and ab area, he's easily the most appealing character to look at. He's facial expressions are also funny. The pages where he is talking tot he old man is actually very appealing with the use of reds and blacks which help to make the characters pop.

That's my review for now. I'd say the biggest notes to take from this are work on the art, and probably first and foremost work on your site's layout for better navigation. Take care for now.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby MK_Wizard » August 27th, 2018, 7:33 am

Thank you for the review though this is the first time I have heard people tell me my art is stiff. Not to worry, I'm not insulted. I know how to take it with a grain of salt. I have to admit that looking back on my work now, Act 1 is the one chapter I would want to change the most. I did it that way because I wanted people to get to know Jekyll and Carew. I admit I could have made it more fun though. At this point though, I can't do anything to change it. Just move on with the story. Plus, as for the background problem, that gets addressed in book 2.
MK_Wizard

Return to Nominations for Review