Site Redesign Feedback

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: Site Redesign Feedback

Postby Syogren » February 17th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Oh my, what a change. I've been pretty dead for the the past uh...undefined length of time, but it's okay, I'm getting better now. But I'm just first seeing this new design, and I have to say, I REALLY like it. It's very...clean looking. Don't get me wrong, I liked how it looked before too, but it always felt a little...I don't know. Clunky? Felt weird to navigate, and didn't really feel that polished. Not anymore. Smackjeeves is really looking professional now!

With that said, I haven't had TOO much time to mess around with the site, but from what I've done here are my thoughts so far.

I like how I can now set images larger than 125x125 as my avatar now, although I don't know if that's new or it's been there and I was too much of a doofus to find it. ;)

Also like how lots of "buttons" are beveled now. Well not really beveled, but like my profile picture at the top that has my avatar in it has a little shadow behind it. I like it. It's not a huge thing, but it's one of those things that a lot of sites...don't really bother with, you know? And sure it's pretty insigificant, and I'm sure nobody cares, but I guess that makes me a nobody. Either way, I like this, and I hope, if possible, these kinds of subtle effects can be applied to the rest of the website?

Like for example, right now on the "your favorites" section of the intro page, it shows a list of comics with their new and improved cover pages (which btw look awesome, good job you guys). Thing is, seeing as they're essentially just rectangles, it looks a little...flat? Doesn't look like something I can click that will do something, namely take me to that comic. Not sure if this is something that everyone agrees on, or if it's yet another example of me being overly picky with irrelevant things, but I mean...yeah. Not really telling you you HAVE to do something there, of course. You're the admin, it's literally your name lol.

Another thing, nobody's talked about this, but...on my description, I've listed things like my discord and other things. But there's an extra little thing in your profile settings that lets you list those kinds of things in a less...kludgy way. I'm talking about this thing:

I think this is great, and I've loved that it's been here for so long. Unfortunately, I never really feel like I've been able to use it, mostly because it's never really had any of the things I use. Like, alright, MSN Messenger is dead. Just...dead. Honestly I'm not sure it should really still be there, because even if you did know someone's MSN Account ID, you wouldn't be able to actually do anything with it. Because MSN Messenger is dead.

Now while technically that isn't a problem, for new users that have just made accounts and are starting to customize their options, that's probably going to make the site feel a little dated to them.

Beyond just removing MSN Messenger, what about adding in other options, Like Skypes and Discords? Discord didn't even exist back in the day, and Skype has since been Microsoft's successor for MSN. So having those in there would serve as a replacement, I guess? Beyond that, Tumblrs? Twitters? Youtubes? I feel like people would be able to utilize those options.

Okay I'd completely understand if you don't want to do any of that, since I'm literally asking you to make it easier to leave Smackjeeves, and like...that may not be the best idea for getting more people to stay, ya know? Although I always approve of ways to more easily link my accounts with my other accounts, so that could be a thing too.

I think it might also help if that top menu bar thinga-ma-bob, to put it scientifically, stayed up there when you scrolled, so you don't have to scroll all the way to the top of the webpage just to go to another part of the site. I've seen some websites do that, and it's pretty neat.

Speaking of the top menu bar, minor nitpicky complaint here...

...but it's really bothering me that "Smackjeeves", "Comics", and "Forum" aren't all aligned perfectly. I did say it was a minor nitpicky complaint right? I was not kidding, haha.

I think that's all I really have to say until I mess more with the site. Especially when I start getting into actually making things again, like omg it's been way too long. Besides, this post is so gosh darn long as is, I'm not gonna make it even longer. But so far I really like what I see. And I wanna make sure you're aware of some of the things I and (possibly) others like about how it already is. After all, that's important too, since at least that way you know you're doing something right, right? Like you're not completely fumbling in the dark, trying to find the light long pas--I'll stop with the flowery language now.

But yeah, always love when sites do updates like this. Lets us know that the people up there really do care about the people down there.
Syogren

Postby bob-artist » February 26th, 2017, 8:42 pm

I came back from a planned hiatus on January 30, so I haven't had a chance to fully examine the features and metrics until now. So I know this might be irrelevant feedback by this point, and I apologize if it is -

-Like I said, my comic returned from winter break. Despite posting new pages on 1/30, 2/6, 2/9, 2/13, and 2/20 (five pages in less than five weeks), my comic still lists as updating "2.5 times per month." This seems like a really long time for the system to correct a schedule after a planned hiatus. I've always posted at least weekly, 5x per month since last fall, and for the metrics to suggest that the comic is updating sporadically could turn off readers. I know you mentioned maybe changing to manual scheduling, and I personally would be on board with that.

-My reader count has also taken about this long to rise back to where it was listed before my break, and it continues to rise daily - another reason why I prefer the fan count to the reader count. It's less volatile and misleading. Readers don't actually disappear when a comic goes on a planned break, especially not for a subscription-based site. I think the reader count has some benefits - for example, weeding out comics that employ redirects while not actually being hosted on SJ, but in this case I think sites like Tapastic and Webtoon give a more meaningful representation of reader count by displaying a number that correlates to unique pageviews.

-I currently have a donator subscription, and one of the perks listed for the subscription is additional banner displays. Is this still being done in any way? I haven't seen a place where premium and donator comics are being showcased.
bob-artist

Postby eishiya » March 3rd, 2017, 10:33 am

Although the subscriber count is more stable, I feel it's also less accurate since people don't tend to unfav things even if they're not reading. I think seeing the fluctuating number is more interesting to me as a reader, and more informative. As an author I want to see both, but I already can.

I'm tempted to unfav some comics just to get the "My Favorites" row off the front page. It feels so pointless. Why would I want to see comics I'm already very well aware of there? I'm already notified when my favourites update. When I go to the front page, it's to find new stuff. That's also why I don't like that Most Popular shows the most popular comics instead of choosing at random from the top N most popular comics. I am aware those comics exist from previous visits, I don't need to keep seeing them every single time.
The front page has only so many slots to get people to good stuff, since if it's too long, people will stop scrolling after a few rows. Make those slots count by not showing people stuff they've already decided not to read or not to read.
eishiya

Postby JoKeR » March 4th, 2017, 2:49 pm

eishiya wrote:It feels so pointless. Why would I want to see comics I'm already very well aware of there? I'm already notified when my favourites update. When I go to the front page, it's to find new stuff. That's also why I don't like that Most Popular shows the most popular comics instead of choosing at random from the top N most popular comics. I am aware those comics exist from previous visits, I don't need to keep seeing them every single time.
The front page has only so many slots to get people to good stuff, since if it's too long, people will stop scrolling after a few rows. Make those slots count by not showing people stuff they've already decided not to read or not to read.

I totally agree ...the avail of the front-page is non-existent or very low. Only on the gigantic Banner is some randomness present.
I know that many of the creator of the Most Popular comics would love to keep their position, always on top and always visible ...but that's not how this page should work and it wouldn't be fair.
It shouldn't be the main purpose of the front-page to be a free additional advertising place for those Most Popular comics.
Yes "you" worked hard to get to this position but also did "you" benefit from the permanent visibility as the Most Popular that "you" are so much far ahead that nearly no other can enter your ranks.

popularity makes popular.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby JoKeR » March 7th, 2017, 11:47 am

Found a bug:

SJ-notext.png
(504.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet

SJ-text.png
(551.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Depending on the screen resolution (or Firefox zoom factor) disappears the text ...is this related to the problem with mobile devices?

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby eishiya » March 7th, 2017, 12:32 pm

JoKeR wrote:Depending on the screen resolution (or Firefox zoom factor) disappears the text ...is this related to the problem with mobile devices?

The text disappears when the apparent screen width is too low to fit the text and image. This is a feature meant to make the site look good on small mobile screens.

Interestingly enough, on my Firefox, the text disappears under the opposite conditions - if I zoom in, rather than out. I wonder why our Firefoxes treat zooming differently?
http://i.imgur.com/kMr0is6.png Zoomed out (text appears but is tiny)
http://i.imgur.com/k1WNhhn.png Zoomed in (no text. Up until this zoom level, the text still appears.)
eishiya

Postby JoKeR » March 7th, 2017, 9:07 pm

eishiya wrote:
JoKeR wrote:Depending on the screen resolution (or Firefox zoom factor) disappears the text ...is this related to the problem with mobile devices?

The text disappears when the apparent screen width is too low to fit the text and image. This is a feature meant to make the site look good on small mobile screens.

But isn't it contrary to the intentional purpose of the main page, to eliminate information from it? :|

eishiya wrote:Interestingly enough, on my Firefox, the text disappears under the opposite conditions - if I zoom in, rather than out. I wonder why our Firefoxes treat zooming differently?
http://i.imgur.com/k1WNhhn.png Zoomed in (no text. Up until this zoom level, the text still appears.)

Look closer ... The picture where the text disappears is on zoom level 90% (and above) and where it appears it's on 80%. It's the same for both of us ...can you see the text on 100% ? (strg+0)

JoKeR

Postby eishiya » March 7th, 2017, 10:00 pm

JoKeR wrote:
eishiya wrote:

But isn't it contrary to the intentional purpose of the main page, to eliminate information from it? :|

eishiya wrote:Interestingly enough, on my Firefox, the text disappears under the opposite conditions - if I zoom in, rather than out. I wonder why our Firefoxes treat zooming differently?

Look closer ... The picture where the text disappears is on zoom level 90% (and above) and where it appears it's on 80%. It's the same for both of us ...can you see the text on 100% ? (strg+0)

I can see the text at 100%.

I don't think it's counter-intuitive, since when the screen is small, there is no room for the text, at least not without blocking the art. The art sells the comics better than the text, so it gets prioritized. Note that I'm talking about default behaviour at 100% on various screen sizes. The zooming thing seems to mess with this and not working as expected.
eishiya

Postby smbhax » March 9th, 2017, 12:54 am

I get notifications when I post comments--even author comments--on my own webcomic. I don't want to get notifications about those, just comments by other people. : )
smbhax

Postby Admin » March 13th, 2017, 3:25 pm

smbhax wrote:I get notifications when I post comments--even author comments--on my own webcomic. I don't want to get notifications about those, just comments by other people. : )

Hmm, that shouldn't be happening. I'll look into it.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby bob-artist » March 25th, 2017, 2:07 pm

eishiya wrote:Although the subscriber count is more stable, I feel it's also less accurate since people don't tend to unfav things even if they're not reading. I think seeing the fluctuating number is more interesting to me as a reader, and more informative. As an author I want to see both, but I already can.

I actually question the accuracy of the reader count because it doesn't account for the way I read - which is mostly binge reading. I might only drop in to catch up with a comic once every few months, but it doesn't mean I'm not a reader of that comic. The name "subscriber" is pretty straightforward - it's a count of people who bookmarked the comic. I never assumed it was a reflection of who shows up for every single update on the day/week it appears. If I want an accurate assessment of who's actually reading, a pageview count demonstrates this better than subscribers or "readers," and it wouldn't be thrown off due to a short hiatus either.

Speaking of which - I've now updated 5 pages in February and 4 in March (with March not being over yet), and my update speed is still listed as 3 pages per month...
bob-artist

Postby eishiya » April 5th, 2017, 4:05 pm

I'd like to see the reader thing look at a longer period. One month seems arbitrary and very short.

I'd like to see the dropdowns for My Favorites and My Webcomics come back. I don't want to load an extra page just to see what updated or to get back to a comic I recently looked at, and the dropdown required a lot less mouse and eye movement, which is always a plus.

Edit: It's not clear that you can unfavourite a comic by clicking the "In Favorites" button. I only know that because that's how it was on the previous version, and I think the button was clearer then. I understand not wanting a big "Remove from Favorites" button on the profile, but maybe the button could change its text on hover so that its function is clear? Though hover won't help mobile users.
eishiya

Postby Campion » April 28th, 2017, 10:38 pm

I don't think this question ever got asked or answered, but are the "featured donator" ad spots going to make a comeback? Seems like a lost perk for those that do donate/pay for it.
Campion

Postby Admin » April 28th, 2017, 11:39 pm

Campion wrote:I don't think this question ever got asked or answered, but are the "featured donator" ad spots going to make a comeback? Seems like a lost perk for those that do donate/pay for it.

Absolutely, working on including that in the next redesign.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby bob-artist » May 16th, 2017, 7:46 am

Campion wrote:I don't think this question ever got asked or answered, but are the "featured donator" ad spots going to make a comeback? Seems like a lost perk for those that do donate/pay for it.

Thanks for asking this. I did ask earlier up on the page, but didn't get an answer until after you brought it up again. My subscription just expired, so I'll keep an eye out for the next update before renewing. This was really the only donator feature I used.
bob-artist

Previous

Return to News