Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby Smackie Awards » August 29th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Time for the moment you've all been waiting for!!!

Beginning September 1, 2013, you will be able to begin casting votes for the best comics in each Smackie Awards category! Each category has 15 finalists (except for those with fewer than 15 nominees), but you won't be looking at them all at once- instead, categories will be split into groups of five- rank five comics at a time, and then return the next week to rank the next group of five!

This benefits you, the reader and voter, by exposing you to great comics in your favorite genres, as well as pacing the voting so you don't feel overwhelmed by choices. And it benefits the comic creators by encouraging you to take a look around at their work, instead of just voting for the comic that's on your Favs list and calling it a day ;)

We hope you enjoy participating in the voting process!
Please take a look at the faq below to familiarize yourself with how things work!! If things seem unclear, they will likely become easier to understand once voting is opened (on September 1) and you can see how everything works firsthand.

FAQ

HOW DO I VOTE?
First select the genre you want to vote in, which will take you to a page of 5. Roll over a banner for the info on the right to change to that comic's description/banner. Drag and drop the banners to sort them, order from BEST (1) to WORST (5). There are 3 rounds to vote in per genre per week.

What do the 3 red boxes on the main page mean?
There are 3 rounds each genre each week, and the boxes reflect these rounds. Red means you HAVEN'T voted in that round & green means you have.

Why 3 weeks of voting?
This time frame allows time for everyone to have a chance to vote! Each week the groupings of 5 "voteable" comics are different to ensure that each comic in a category has been compared to the rest at least once, therefore letting us have an overall winner at the end.

Why grouped by 5?
The objective of the awards is to share comics and not be a popularity contest. By giving you only 5 at a time, you aren't overwhelmed with choices.We don't want you to rush and only toss your favorites to the top! Since it remembers where you left off, you're encouraged to take your time and give each comic the attention it deserves. Think carefully about your choices. :)

What are kudos and how do they work?
Under each banner you will see a select option to give each comic a "kudo". A kudo lets you praise a comic for its art, writing, characters, improvement, or web design and is counted independently from its ranking. So even if a comic is rated low, it can still win one of those categories as an honorable mention. You can give each comic one kudo.

Do I have to vote in every genre?
No, you can vote in only the ones you're interested in. Select whichever you'd like to vote in on the main page, or scroll between them with the arrows on the voting page.

Can I skip rounds in a genre to get to the one comic I want to vote for that week?
No. You must vote in each round sequentially to get to the next. The awards are about finding and sharing new comics to read - not just "winning". We encourage you to read all entries and put care in your vote - not just vote at random so you can put in a "1" for that one comic you really like. That's not fair to the rest.

How are the comics selected to be grouped each week?
It's a secret! :) It is varied to give each comic a fair chance to be judged against the rest (thus it changes the groups of 5 three times), and is predetermined by a computer before voting even begins. We have little hand in how they end up paired up and its score does not change these pairings at all. Score will only be assessed at the end of the voting.

I dragged a banner and accidentally made it disappear!! What now?
It'll reset if you refresh the page. Don't panic - your vote won't go through if any of them are missing.

Questions? Issues?

If you encounter any technical issues, please contact falconer for assistance.
For general questions, post in this thread or PM Smackie Awards

[[[ CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE VOTING SITE ]]]
Last edited by Smackie Awards on September 1st, 2013, 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Smackie Awards

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby Smackie Awards » September 1st, 2013, 12:31 am

It is September 1st and voting is now OPEN!! Click the link click the link click the link!

Have fun and go read some comics! :)
Smackie Awards

Postby chicken-blast » September 1st, 2013, 1:22 am

On it!
Site's looking excellent, by the way. Massive kudos.
chicken-blast

Postby rukan » September 1st, 2013, 2:37 am

i voted.. but i don't think i did it right...^^;

the page looks awesome btw!
rukan

Postby ered » September 1st, 2013, 3:18 am

It might've been a good idea to explain how to vote on the site. I'm not sure all people realized you can drag the banners in the right order :/
ered

Postby Cesario » September 1st, 2013, 3:30 am

I think maybe some all caps instructions in a strong colour on the top of the page would be in order, there was a lot of confusion between me and my friends as to how to actually vote. I had no idea it was all about the dragging, possibly because you haven't mentioned in here in the F.A.Q. I know the top says Sort and vote but the text is such a light colour it get's totally lost on the page when so many stronger elements are in there.
Cesario

Postby TriaElf9 » September 1st, 2013, 3:38 am

Yeah, I agree, I wasn't sure how to order them, but eventually my husband and I figured it out, after accidentally voting wrong ^_^;; Even just adding the work "Drag" would help. Apart from that, I think the voting system is a really great idea! ^_^

And can I just say, I've found some great comics already! I totally should be drawing, but I spent the night reading eheheh ^_^;;
TriaElf9

Postby muura » September 1st, 2013, 6:53 am

Just to clarify.. is number 1 the best or the worst? I'm not sure if these are places or points.
muura

Postby blankd » September 1st, 2013, 7:07 am

I was somehow able to vote in all 3 weeks, I don't think that was intended? :S
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Afrohawkman » September 1st, 2013, 8:33 am

THIS IS THE MOST GENIUS CONCEPT EVER. Holy shit you guys really did take on the popularity contest problem and solved it! Serious kudos guys, very smart. I hope this voting style works out though, seems like there may be a few bugs from the comments above.
Afrohawkman

Postby diceknight » September 1st, 2013, 8:56 am

blankd wrote:I was somehow able to vote in all 3 weeks, I don't think that was intended? :S

I don't think we're voting in all 3 weeks right now, but rather 3 rounds. I might be wrong, but seems like every week there's three rounds, where the comics are randomly shuffled to provide an even spread for people to vote on.
diceknight

Postby Falconer » September 1st, 2013, 9:13 am

I had made a GIF that explained it all, but it didn't make it into the post somehow...oh well.

FAQ has been updated.

Smackie Awards wrote:HOW DO I VOTE?
First select the genre you want to vote in, which will take you to a page of 5. Roll over a banner for the info on the right to change to that comic's description/banner. Drag and drop the banners to sort them, order from BEST (1) to WORST (5). There are 3 rounds to vote in per genre per week.

I will update the website momentarily to also reflect this.

If you lost your vote because you voted without having figured out how to work it, please note that I CANNOT CORRECT NOR REMOVE YOUR VOTES. So, please, just vote next week and thereafter correctly and responsibly.

and also

diceknight wrote:
blankd wrote:I was somehow able to vote in all 3 weeks, I don't think that was intended? :S

I don't think we're voting in all 3 weeks right now, but rather 3 rounds. I might be wrong, but seems like every week there's three rounds, where the comics are randomly shuffled to provide an even spread for people to vote on.

Diceknight is correct, so unless you voted 9 times in a genre, you're fine.
Falconer

Postby TheSilverLeague » September 1st, 2013, 9:32 am

This is a smart set up actually, clever stuff! Now let the games begin...and read! lol
TheSilverLeague

Postby blankd » September 1st, 2013, 9:58 am

Falconer wrote:Diceknight is correct, so unless you voted 9 times in a genre, you're fine.

Cool, my reading comprehension failed me is all.

Also kudos again on making this!
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby diceknight » September 1st, 2013, 10:13 am

Agreed! I like the layout, and the voting system is unique and should encourage people to check out the listed comics moreso than previous years.

Also, thanks so much for including me! I'm honored, and really happy to be a part of it. :)
diceknight

Next

Return to News