Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby chicken-blast » September 2nd, 2013, 10:28 am

Falconer wrote:
chicken-blast wrote:Also could I make a small suggestion?
The voting system is looking great, and the three-round thing gives people a chance to focus on any 5 comics at a time in a category. However, is there a way you can incorporate thumbnails or just reference by name of the comics that would be in the next round of voting after the first 5 comics have been voted for? Yknow, just so that the interface would be more foolproof to people who are more clueless about all of this.


I added some text at the bottom that lists the next round. Is that what you meant??

Oh, whoops! Was that there all along? The font color is so light I must've missed it! Excellent \o/
User avatar
chicken-blast
 
Posts: 196
Joined: January 15th, 2012, 6:51 am
Location: Australia

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby Falconer » September 2nd, 2013, 10:35 am

chicken-blast wrote:Oh, whoops! Was that there all along? The font color is so light I must've missed it! Excellent \o/


haha no, I just added it for you xD I didn't want it to be distracting, so I kept the font color on the light side. :B
Image
Image
User avatar
Falconer
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: April 17th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby blankd » September 2nd, 2013, 2:43 pm

Also I hate to bring up more stuff, but is there any reason some of the comic descriptions are really strange?
Example:
As time passes by, Dory tries to (Once again) win Damian's heart.
Will he succeed?
Or will their 'deal' get in the way?


Some of them also refer to "if you enjoyed the book you'll enjoy this!" or something to that effect.

It's a pretty minor thing, but better to say something than nothing?
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
User avatar
blankd
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 12:43 am
Location: computer

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby Falconer » September 2nd, 2013, 2:48 pm

blankd wrote:Also I hate to bring up more stuff, but is there any reason some of the comic descriptions are really strange?
Example:
As time passes by, Dory tries to (Once again) win Damian's heart.
Will he succeed?
Or will their 'deal' get in the way?


Some of them also refer to "if you enjoyed the book you'll enjoy this!" or something to that effect.


They were copy & pasted from whatever they had in their profile at the time. I had no hand in reading the comics for narrowing them down, so I couldn't create my own for them, nor did I expect the others to since some had to read a lot. Some comics didn't have any description on their profile, so I tried to see if they had one on their website, but if not it had to be left blank. Otherwise the norm was to stick with whatever the author put there. (I tried to cut out the update or "buy book here" info when possible)
Image
Image
User avatar
Falconer
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: April 17th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2013, 4:54 pm

Dear Smackie Awards Folks,
Thank you very much for including Destination: Unknown amongst those nominated for BEST SCIENCE FICTION COMIC. I'm not just blowing smoke up anyone's skirt when I say that I am honored to be included in the running with such a fine selection of comics. I Personally follow Ball & Chain and Supermassive Black Hole A, have read Kranburn (and loved it) and just recently discovered Battle Creek, NE. To be up for an award with these fine comics humbles me. Thank you for submitting Destination: Unknown to a vote. Whatever the outcome, it is very gratifying to have people other than my friends and family think it good enough for award consideration.
Very Sincerely,
Marc Raab,
creator, DESTINATION: UNKNOWN
P.S. I hope it's not bad form, but I voted for myself... :-)
Guest
 

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby TriaElf9 » September 2nd, 2013, 6:43 pm

Something I noticed with the descriptions is that numbers 2-5 often get the last paragraph of the number one slot repeated in their description.

The "if you enjoyed the book" is from my comic's description and it's because I'm doing an adaptation of a novel in comic form. Thus, if you liked the book, you'll like the comic ^_^ So yeah, that was a little weird to see half of my description repeated over and over down the line. I found that problem in a few other sections too (Drama comes to mind, since I read that yesterday).
Image
Image
User avatar
TriaElf9
 
Posts: 27
Joined: May 11th, 2012, 8:03 am
Location: Japan

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby Hatter98 » September 2nd, 2013, 10:37 pm

Gotta admit, great and clean layout of the site.
Image
User avatar
Hatter98
 
Posts: 134
Joined: June 9th, 2013, 10:05 am

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby Falconer » September 2nd, 2013, 11:20 pm

TriaElf9 wrote:Something I noticed with the descriptions is that numbers 2-5 often get the last paragraph of the number one slot repeated in their description.


This was a really weird bug, but I fixed it. Even though I'm still not sure why it was doing it in the first place LOL
Image
Image
User avatar
Falconer
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: April 17th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN!! SEPT. 1ST-25TH! CLICK HERE!

Postby TriaElf9 » September 2nd, 2013, 11:43 pm

Falconer wrote:
TriaElf9 wrote:Something I noticed with the descriptions is that numbers 2-5 often get the last paragraph of the number one slot repeated in their description.


This was a really weird bug, but I fixed it. Even though I'm still not sure why it was doing it in the first place LOL


Sweet! Ahaha, crazy bugs! ^_^ But yeah, great work on the site! It really keeps the pressure down, and gives time to read EVERYTHING through ^_^
Image
Image
User avatar
TriaElf9
 
Posts: 27
Joined: May 11th, 2012, 8:03 am
Location: Japan

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby Kikcac » September 4th, 2013, 12:05 am

I like the site. But since I have to put the comics in order from best to worst, it's kinda hard. I barely read all those comics to give a right judgement. :(
Kikcac
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 29th, 2013, 1:23 am

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby mitchellbravo » September 4th, 2013, 12:32 am

Kikcac wrote:I like the site. But since I have to put the comics in order from best to worst, it's kinda hard. I barely read all those comics to give a right judgement. :(

Just do your best :) It's okay to rank them without reading every page of each.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6483
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby eishiya » September 4th, 2013, 6:19 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
Kikcac wrote:I like the site. But since I have to put the comics in order from best to worst, it's kinda hard. I barely read all those comics to give a right judgement. :(

Just do your best :) It's okay to rank them without reading every page of each.

I thought the point was to read them? What's the point of participating in the voting for a category if you're not going to read the nominees?
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby InnocentGuillotine » September 4th, 2013, 7:50 am

I think it's just that some might be so long that it'd be difficult to read them entirely and give the other nominees a fair shake, depending on your reading speed (or the comic contains content that triggers you; I don't expect anyone to keep reading through that). That said, reading them in full is the most fair thing to do.

Will the list be narrowed or just shuffled each week? i kind of bungled this week's voting because i didn't understand how to vote (I am easily confused by things :( ).
I do commissions! Patreon
Comics: SOON™
User avatar
InnocentGuillotine
 
Posts: 154
Joined: September 21st, 2012, 8:45 am

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby Afrohawkman » September 4th, 2013, 8:20 am

Do you think we'll be allowed to continue voting for previous weeks? Like say if you go this week voting for all but one category and don't finish but want to finish next week. Could you still vote for that last one net week?
User avatar
Afrohawkman
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Re: Vote in the 2013 Smackie Awards!

Postby Falconer » September 4th, 2013, 11:06 am

InnocentGuillotine wrote:Will the list be narrowed or just shuffled each week? i kind of bungled this week's voting because i didn't understand how to vote (I am easily confused by things :( ).

Shuffled.

Afrohawkman wrote:Do you think we'll be allowed to continue voting for previous weeks? Like say if you go this week voting for all but one category and don't finish but want to finish next week. Could you still vote for that last one net week?

No.
Image
Image
User avatar
Falconer
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: April 17th, 2006, 4:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MissMarck and 7 guests