The Next Generation of Butlers Is Here

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: The Next Generation of Butlers Is Here

Postby Bloomer » December 25th, 2016, 11:09 am

Looking good, anything is better than the old layout. Used to have to refresh the page a million times just to gain access to the site. But I'm curious what happens to the donator comics, are they with the spotlights now?
Bloomer

Postby Oly-RRR » December 25th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Getting used to the good stuff but I start thinking 20 recent comments per profile makes a long scroll (yes, I know there's an anchor link) so maybe a more compact list of ~10 would be better, with a link for more?

Also tested the site on Android smartphone (and Chrome), everything working smoothly! :D
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby FUTURE10S » December 25th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Wait, question; how does the site count recurring readers?
Image - nuclear throne shootposters club sandwich
FUTURE10S

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » December 25th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:I love this, it's quite a Christmas present for the community!! Thanks, Admin! :)

Not a bug or a glitch, just a feeling I guess: the HIATUS status is making me feel worse than the greying update counter did :? I mean, fair enough and it might push me to update more regularly- er, less sporadically but it makes my heart sink a bit.

But that aside, this is sooo cooool :mrgreen:

I feel ya, this last semester and up until now has been so brutal to my updates. @_@;; It's a punch to get back running in a certain respect, and hey at least my reader count isn't zero after all of this insanity. ;w;
blackmoongirl2424

Postby Angel_Sin » December 25th, 2016, 8:21 pm

I think the one big issue I see with the layout (in my personal preference) is that on the 'My Favorites' page the 'News' section takes up way too much room in comparison to the webcomics themselves. I'd love at least the option to make it smaller, and see more comics per row, rather than a huge section of News that honestly most comics don't really use (I don't have a single News post from any comic in the past month). It doesn't make much sense that the News box is wider than the comics one anyways?
Angel_Sin

Postby JoKeR » December 25th, 2016, 8:27 pm

kcspice wrote:So far, the only thing I'd like to see return is the fan count to be publicly viewable.

I feel the opposite ...reader numbers are more honest. And represents better the popularity of a comic.
The fan count was wrong because many did fav a comic and never bothered to read it.
Or someone put up a comic with just a cover or banner promising BL content and the fav/fan count went up through the ceiling. Even so the creator stopped uploading shortly after... no one did un-fav it.
JoKeR

Postby maelstrom51210 » December 25th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Is it bad to say I like the new design because it reminds me of Inkblazer's?
maelstrom51210

Postby sakohju » December 25th, 2016, 11:46 pm

I like the new design, my only suggestion is it feels very vertical and there's a lot of negative space to the right of every page. I feel like maybe if the layout could be condensed to use that negative space, it would be a lot more efficient and navigable. I also couldn't figure out how to log in outside the forums, but maybe I just missed something. ^^;

Also, how are the readers counted? 'Cause unless a ton of people suddenly faved my comics overnight, there's a new system for that...(not that I'd be complaining XD)

Otherwise though, I like the new look! :D
sakohju

Postby demonchild » December 26th, 2016, 12:55 am

Lovely new look! feels refreshing!

One glitch ( i think) is that every time I go on a new page within SJ I get a pop up saying 'An unknown error has occurred'
It doesn't happen on any of the comic sites just on entering a page within SJ. It also only happens when logged in it seems on both Safari and Firefox.

Also on Safari when I click at the top on 'My Webcomics' or 'My Favorites' The width of the drop down box is cut off, allowing enough space for the 'Go to Dashboard' or 'See All'
This doesn't happen on Firefox.

Love how some of the site design is kept similar to the previous design. Great work!
Read my webcomic Fallen Angel
demonchild

Postby JoKeR » December 26th, 2016, 7:21 am

sakohju wrote:I also couldn't figure out how to log in outside the forums, but maybe I just missed something. ^^;

Are you try to log in via a smartphone device? viewtopic.php?p=360363#p360363
JoKeR

Postby popcornxing » December 26th, 2016, 9:47 am

I don't think I ever posted on the forums before if I did it had to be a long time ago. But I just wanted to say that I was looking forward to how this update was going to look. I actually do enjoy it, I saw it on my phone this morning.

I like how you guys have added the update schedule and the haitus on comics that haven't updated. Also did you guys get rid of dead accounts? looks like you had. lucky I still log in to read. ^-^

How long does it take for a comic to go into Haitus? figure I would ask since I'm slow to update my own.

but great job on the new layout!
popcornxing

Postby meur123 » December 26th, 2016, 9:57 am

Great job on the update- I really like the design - having covers instead of banners is soo much better looking!

Only nitpick is thay I wish that it would prioritise recently updated (though that's probably just cause I only upload trash and I enjoy the fact that sj guarantees me an audience for my awful sense of humour ahaha)
meur123

Postby eishiya » December 26th, 2016, 10:54 am

popcornxing wrote:I don't think I ever posted on the forums before if I did it had to be a long time ago. But I just wanted to say that I was looking forward to how this update was going to look. I actually do enjoy it, I saw it on my phone this morning.

I like how you guys have added the update schedule and the haitus on comics that haven't updated. Also did you guys get rid of dead accounts? looks like you had. lucky I still log in to read. ^-^

How long does it take for a comic to go into Haitus? figure I would ask since I'm slow to update my own.

but great job on the new layout!

Dead accounts weren't deleted. If you think that because the readership count is lower than your old fav count, that has nothing to do with accounts being deleted, the readership count is a different metric from fan count, it counts the people who actually return to read your comic.
eishiya

Postby Lora » December 26th, 2016, 11:30 am

EDIT: Seeing a lot more comics displaying in spotlight now, including my own, so problem solved, hurray!

Love the look of the new design! The only thing I can possibly think of is a non-JS version for those people whom I know exist, who like to have those scripts turned off? 8)

Also - I was wondering if there's currently any known reason why certain comics may not be displaying in certain sections on the site? My comic is spotlit but isn't appearing in the spotlight section (well, the big banner at the top) or the "recently updated" one, although it's just updated (I also refreshed the home page a lot for the spotlight section because, well, :P). I have all the appropriate banners approved and everything, since a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your hard work!
Last edited by Lora on December 26th, 2016, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lora

Postby bloodangel1500 » December 26th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Wish we had a choice to revert back to the old version. I don't like it.
bloodangel1500

PreviousNext

Return to News