Site Redesign Feedback

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Site Redesign Feedback

Postby Admin » December 27th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback you've left in the Site Redesign Launch Thread. It seems like a lot of people are happy with the redesign and that's really good to hear. I'm also hearing a lot of specific complaints, and I'm glad you're bringing those things up so I can consider and hopefully fix them.

I'm going to try to work on the most universal issues first. Here are a lot of the things I'm hearing:
- # of fans (and to a lesser extent the list of fans) is no longer visible on the comic profile page
- Less front-page visibility for recently updated, new, and mediumly-popular comics
- Mixed feelings about the "Hiatus" designation
- Inline comment replies on the webcomics themselves

Some other things I plan to address:
- Need to double-check Safari for any bugs
- Lack of Premium promotion throughout the site
- Still working on the Smack Jeeves group photo
- Regarding compatibility on older devices - this one is tricky, because the redesign was done using newer web technology - it would have been nearly impossible to do some of the things we did without the newer technology. I'm going to investigate and address as many of the issues I can, but some things I will not be able to fix. Please consider updating your browser if you are on an older device and are having issues. Regarding JavaScript - responsive sites are extremely hard to build without JavaScript, and I'm just one guy so I don't have the resources to make a pure No-JS version of Smack Jeeves.
- A few outdated parts of the site that still need to be updated
- Improving the mobile-friendliness of certain pages such as My Favorites and User/Comic profiles
- Other details people mentioned

Other things I'm going to think about
- The hover-over preview for comics - I actually made an improved version of this but I thought it was too annoying so I left it out.
- The way stats are displayed - the old layout had % bars and color coding which was visually useful.
- Updating the forum theme to be more mobile-friendly

Thanks again everyone for your feedback, and I welcome you to continue to post your reactions and make suggestions. Just wanted you guys to know I'm listening and where I plan on taking things.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Site Redesign Feedback

Postby Shard » December 27th, 2016, 6:21 pm

There is one thing I haven't seen people really bringing up at all, and I'm wondering if it's just something that's bothering me or if it's something that can be adjusted by pressing a few buttons or something and I'm just totally clueless, but:

Is there any reason the site feels the need to be redundant like this? I feel like it'd be easier to just take off the notifications saying "X new comments on Y" (where X is the amount and Y is the comic) and leave the notifications saying "X commented on Y of Z" (where X is the user, Y is the page title, and Z is the comic). Or is this something that you can manually turn on and off that I just haven't figured out quite yet?
ImageImage
Shard

Postby Admin » December 27th, 2016, 7:25 pm

One type of notification adds up all of your new comments + favs and links to your comic's profile, another type will add up new comments for specific pages and will link to those pages. I agree it's a little redundant but personally I find them to be different enough to be useful. You can, however, disable either from here: http://www.smackjeeves.com/editprofile.php
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seven Rain » December 27th, 2016, 7:34 pm

Admin wrote:- # of fans (and to a lesser extent the list of fans) is no longer visible on the comic profile page
- Mixed feelings about the "Hiatus" designation

I rather enjoy seeing the reader count instead of the fav count, as well as the hiatus thing. Since the reception to new things has been so mixed I want to stress how nice it would be to just make the more polarizing changes be optional, rather than either stuck in the old way or updated.
Like the hiatus thing. It'd be cool to have the option of labeling your comic like that, since we already have a "Completed" option. Adding "Hiatus" and maybe even "Coming Soon" labels would be pretty nice. That way nobody feels guilty about their comic being auto-labeled as being on hiatus, but people who are sincerely taking a hiatus can choose to label their comic, instead of relying on news posts or profile descriptions.
Spoiler! :
And yeah it'd be awesome to see the site give more attention to less popular comics.

Admin wrote:- Updating the forum theme to be more mobile-friendly

I've had some bad experiences with things I like trying to go more "mobile-friendly". I hope that such a thing would be done carefully without being too drastic of a change!
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Postby jukebox » December 27th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I like the redesign, but I'm having trouble seeing all my favorites using Internet Explorer 11. Instead, in IE 11, it shows only the most recently updated 7 comics, with a huge amount of white space consuming the rest of the page. It's not that big a thing because I can see all my favorites in Google Chrome. But I thought I'd pass it along in case there are others having a similar issue that solely prefer IE 11.

Thank you for all your hard work in redesigning this site. :)
jukebox

Postby eishiya » December 28th, 2016, 10:01 am

Which option hides the totals of comments? I thought I turned the right one off ("New Fans & Comments") but I'm still seeing sums in my notifications.

I am glad that profiles don't have fav counts anymore, as it's a misleading number. Authors can view them on the comic stats page, and that's fine. I do wish that the fav list was available though, at least to authors.

Re: Hiatus designation
I don't think it should be an automatically calculated status. People who actually consciously go on hiatus would probably have the mind to add such a designation manually if given the option, and people who go on hiatus by accident don't tend to come back so their comics aren't really on hiatus, but rather abandoned, at least in their current form. Or, they're not actually on hiatus and just have very, very slow schedules, and "hiatus" doesn't quite convey that.
eishiya

Postby Jakkal » December 28th, 2016, 12:36 pm

I really like the new design.

My only real gripe is the main page, where the most popular are on top, then rising stars, then all the way down at the bottom, it's the most recent. I feel like this is going to end up where those most popular comics very rarely change. So they will constantly be up on the main page and just get more and more viewers from all the quick and easy publicity, while the other comics, way at the bottom, don't get much of a spotlight at all.

If people want to find the most popular comics, that should certainly be an option. But as it is, I don't see this listing changing very much, so it'll also make the front page seem almost static. This is similar to Deviant Art's "Most popular" main page, where the top images for "most popular all time" haven't changed in years.

But, other than that. Great work. Really like it.
Jakkal

Postby MasterComic » December 28th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Jakkal wrote:I really like the new design.

My only real gripe is the main page, where the most popular are on top, then rising stars, then all the way down at the bottom, it's the most recent. I feel like this is going to end up where those most popular comics very rarely change. So they will constantly be up on the main page and just get more and more viewers from all the quick and easy publicity, while the other comics, way at the bottom, don't get much of a spotlight at all.

If people want to find the most popular comics, that should certainly be an option. But as it is, I don't see this listing changing very much, so it'll also make the front page seem almost static. This is similar to Deviant Art's "Most popular" main page, where the top images for "most popular all time" haven't changed in years.

But, other than that. Great work. Really like it.

I think a good order would be "Recently Updated", "Up and Coming", and then "Most Popular". The most popular are great, but they will only become more and more popular leaving everyone else in the dust if they stay up top.

eishiya wrote:Re: Hiatus designation
I don't think it should be an automatically calculated status. People who actually consciously go on hiatus would probably have the mind to add such a designation manually if given the option, and people who go on hiatus by accident don't tend to come back so their comics aren't really on hiatus, but rather abandoned, at least in their current form. Or, they're not actually on hiatus and just have very, very slow schedules, and "hiatus" doesn't quite convey that.

Speaking of which, there seems to be a need for an "Unfinished" label for comics that will not update again but will stay on SmackJeeves.
Cup of Olea is an interactive webcomic. YOU decide what Cliff does!
To play, simply go to the latest page and submit a command! It's easy~
MasterComic

Postby eishiya » December 28th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but <s> HTML tags show up as HTML on profiles rather than as strike-through. Bold, italics, and underline work correctly. Strikethrough shows up correctly on comic sites. I can't recall whether this was an issue before the update.

As for the ordering, a possible compromise between drawing in new users and giving unproven comics exposure:
Comic Spotlight (provided a new comic is featured at least monthly)
Recently Updated
Most Popular
Rising Stars

Could also switch the last two.

Another possibility is to pick random comics from Most Popular to display, say from the most popular 50 comics or so. That way there'll be some variety.
eishiya

Postby FUTURE10S » December 29th, 2016, 12:14 am

Additional, can we see fans in comic profile again? I liked that feature.
Image - nuclear throne shootposters club sandwich
FUTURE10S

Postby blackmoongirl2424 » December 29th, 2016, 12:15 am

eishiya wrote:
As for the ordering, a possible compromise between drawing in new users and giving unproven comics exposure:
Comic Spotlight (provided a new comic is featured at least monthly)
Recently Updated
Most Popular
Rising Stars

Could also switch the last two.

Another possibility is to pick random comics from Most Popular to display, say from the most popular 50 comics or so. That way there'll be some variety.

I'll add a second to that Eishiya's ordering of the comics.

About Hiatuses, I'd like to know how they work: is it if I don't upload in a month or something? Does it go away once I update again, or is it once I start updating consistently again?
blackmoongirl2424

Postby JoKeR » December 29th, 2016, 8:18 am

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby mitchellbravo » December 29th, 2016, 11:42 am

Appreciate the order switcheroo on the front page :)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Oly-RRR » December 29th, 2016, 11:56 am

mitchellbravo wrote:Appreciate the order switcheroo on the front page :)

Yesss! One of the reasons SJ rocks - user feedback actually matters! :D Thanks, Admin!

I don't have anything constructive to add but generally agreeing with suggestions above, especially Hiatus status and fan list (I like the new reader system but I also like to see who is reading my stuff).

Oh and mobile compatibility is great for me, but having a new-ish phone probably helps.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Shard » December 29th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Something I've noticed about the comic profiles - there doesn't seem to be a designated place for people to send applications to comics if said comic has that option available. As someone who helps manage a few collaborations this is ... sort of a problem. For now we're using the workaround of "apply VIA sending me a PM and then if they're in I invite them to the comic" but, there wasn't really a problem with the old system (aside from that one weird glitch where if you were rejected for any reason you couldn't send an app in the future; which while I understand why it exists honestly seems like something that should be optional, especially in the case of "literally only rejected this person because there was no room for them but please try again in the future"); so I'd like to see it return if at all possible.
ImageImage
Shard

Next

Return to News