Site Redesign Feedback

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Re: Site Redesign Feedback

Postby sentiashinou » January 30th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I have a question regarding the update frequency text. I update my comic every Monday evening. Previously, the text said "Updates Tuesdays". Now, it's changed to "Updates Mondays". I did update slightly earlier than usual last week, but still late enough to be Tuesday UTC.

Did the timezone used in this calculation change recently? Is it possible to set what timezone is used? Or did it change for an unrelated reason?

This is obviously a really minor thing, I'm just curious how it works.
sentiashinou

Postby Admin » January 30th, 2017, 4:38 pm

We may change to a manual system based on feedback, but the automatic system determines a base timezone based on when you typically update and then compares individual updates to the average.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby mitchellbravo » January 30th, 2017, 4:52 pm

I kind of appreciate the (admittedly brutal) honesty of the automatic system, but I also understand why many folks would prefer a manual selection system.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Gigi19972010 » January 30th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Yeah, I'd appreciate an option for a manual selection of the update schedule, since my comic has a similar problem now, showing that it updates Sunday / Thursday when in fact I update Sunday / Wednesday. I do usually update late for my timezone (UTC -2 right now, I have been updating anywhere between 7-10 PM), and not always at the same time, so I could see why it would confuse the automatic system.
Gigi19972010

Postby eishiya » January 30th, 2017, 7:24 pm

The update time is displayed in each reader's own time zone, from what I understand. This could be causing some of the discrepancies, and it's also nicer than manually-set update times in that regard.
It would be nice to be able to nudge it somehow in the case of inconsistent times, though. Most people don't update on the dot every time, so some time zones will display weird results.
eishiya

Postby sentiashinou » January 30th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Yeah, sorry if I was unclear--I'm totally okay with it auto-detecting the frequency (although I can understand the argument for manually selecting a status like "hiatus"). I was just curious why it switched the day. I tend to update between 7PM and 11PM on Mondays (Central time), so if it was using my local timezone I'd expect it to consistently think I update Mondays. On the other hand, if it was using UTC, that's still between 2AM and 6AM on Tuesdays.
sentiashinou

Postby JoKeR » January 31st, 2017, 9:30 am

The notifications about updated comics and comments on your comis are very cool... and I noticed that I spend more time on the main page than in the forum :P

But is it really necessary to get two notifications when a comment is posted?
One is for the profile and the other is for the actual comic page. This two seem to be redundant, especially since you can easily click in your profile on the page where the comment is written.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby eishiya » January 31st, 2017, 9:41 am

JoKeR wrote:The notifications about updated comics and comments on your comis are very cool... and I noticed that I spend more time on the main page than in the forum :P

One is for the profile and the other is for the actual comic page. This two seem to be redundant, especially since you can easily click in your profile on the page where the comment is written.

I don't like that either. You can disable one or the other in your account settings, in the "Author Notifications" settings near the bottom of the page.
eishiya

Postby JoKeR » January 31st, 2017, 10:16 am

eishiya wrote:
JoKeR wrote:The notifications about updated comics and comments on your comis are very cool... and I noticed that I spend more time on the main page than in the forum :P

I don't like that either. You can disable one or the other in your account settings, in the "Author Notifications" settings near the bottom of the page.

Thank you very much.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby TimeSceo » January 31st, 2017, 11:37 pm

Why is the chapter system all weird now? Like if you upload to a chapter more towards the top of the archive, it doesn't show the update in recent pages.
TimeSceo

Postby pigtailedpenguin » February 2nd, 2017, 9:21 pm

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with their comic on hiatus status not coming up in search terms using tags, page counts, or scrolling through the comics? If you update the comic with a new page will the hiatus status be removed? My comic is TheBookofNosferatu and our tags are #horror, #vampires, #supernatural, and #Demons. None of these tags work for finding our comic when used to search. Even when scrolling through all of the comics using page count to search we are not listed, nor is any comic that is on hiatus. Is this normal?
pigtailedpenguin

Postby Admin » February 2nd, 2017, 11:14 pm

It's probably because the default Last Update filter is set to "Past Week". Your comic is definitely listed: http://www.smackjeeves.com/search.php?c ... +Nosferatu

The Hiatus status will be updated once you update, yes.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby sakohju » February 5th, 2017, 5:12 pm

I'm not sure how frequently this is mentioned, but I noticed that when I updated a page to the filler chapter at the top of my archive, it didn't show in the "latest pages" thumbnails in the comic's profile. My sister pointed out as a reader it was a bit annoying to have to go through and find the latest page she was notified of when normally you can easily click on the newest page in the profile. Just kind of throwing that out here.
sakohju

Postby ryank_119 » February 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I didn't have time to read through all the comments to see if this has been requested or not, but is there a plan for a Smack Jeeves App?

and

News Posts. Is BBC code the only option for formatting images and text? I'm trying to insert images into paragraphs and I can never get it right.
ryank_119

Postby Admin » February 6th, 2017, 9:29 pm

ryank_119 wrote:News Posts. Is BBC code the only option for formatting images and text? I'm trying to insert images into paragraphs and I can never get it right.

You should be able to use HTML as well.

No plans to release an app in the near near future, but we are working on improving our mobile reader.
Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News