Comic Size Limits Increased

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Comic Size Limits Increased

Postby Admin » January 9th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Hey Everyone,

This update was a long time coming. We no longer prevent you from uploading comic images over the file size limit - instead, we automatically compress images that are over the limit.

For example: before, on a comic without a subscription, if you tried to upload an image that was 1 MB in size, we wouldn't let you because it was over the limit. Now, if you try to upload a file that is 1 MB, we allow it and automatically compress it.

The compression quality is very good, and for donators and premium subscribers, if you somehow manage to go over your file size limit, we use the maximum quality possible. Images that end up getting automatically compressed may end up over the limit, but we still allow them to be uploaded anyway.

Here is an example of a page automatically compressed by the new uploader:

Before (1.6MB) vs After (641KB):
Image Image
Credit to Riverside Extras for the beautiful chapter cover image.

The compressed image is nearly 1MB or 2/3 smaller than the original.

As you can see, this is a very high detail image, and the resulting quality is very good. This is the compression being used on free comics. The quality on donator and premium comics is even higher, but since the original image is under the 2MB limit for donators and the 5MB limit for premium subscribers, the image wouldn't be compressed by the new system for a donator/premium comic anyway; the original would be uploaded untouched.

This change benefits everyone - free users and subscribers - by removing the hassle of the upload limits while maintaining a very high image quality. Donator and premium comics continue to have very high file size limits for comic images that will allow them to upload their comics at a completely lossless image format. Learn more about Donator and Premium subscriptions.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Comic Size Limits Increased

Postby JoKeR » January 9th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Have to test it with my three full colour pages ... Because I was a few kb over the limit, I had to use an external uploader or compress it in Photoshop with no satisfying result.
JoKeR

Postby cloverthegreat » January 9th, 2017, 4:52 pm

This is awesome! Thank you.
cloverthegreat

Postby mitchellbravo » January 9th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Very nice work, Admin!!
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Nashew » January 9th, 2017, 11:39 pm

Nice! I usually just externally link the image if it's over the file size, but this compression looks nearly unnoticeable.
Nashew

Postby smbhax » January 10th, 2017, 3:06 am

Thanks, Admin! : D

I noticed that when I posted a comic just now on my free account, the "Webcomic Management -> Comics -> Add" page said
Comic Image
Maximum dimensions: 10000px wide, 10000px high
Maximum size: 500 KB
Images over the limit will be automatically compressed.

But your post here mentions a 1 MB size limit. So, could you clarify? Is the size limit for free comics 500 KB like the Add page says, or 1 MB?
smbhax

Postby Admin » January 10th, 2017, 3:55 am

I was just using 1MB as an example. The "soft" limit for free comics is still 500 KB.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby GabrielsThoughts » January 13th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Keep in mind that smaller sizes also increase loading speed in my opinion. While I'm certain the new boost is marvelous, faster load times equals lowered loss of interest. :D
GabrielsThoughts

Postby eishiya » January 14th, 2017, 8:26 am

GabrielsThoughts wrote:Keep in mind that smaller sizes also increase loading speed in my opinion. While I'm certain the new boost is marvelous, faster load times equals lowered loss of interest. :D

This!
The best thing is still to make sure your files are optimized to begin with, but if you don't have time or just don't care how quickly your pages load for your readers, now you don't have to worry about it.
eishiya

Postby AvianSkies » January 24th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Yay! Thank you! This is a very welcome update.
Liars Go To Paradise? - Fantasy/Humor

Kaleidoscope - Sci-Fi/Action
AvianSkies

Return to News