Redesign Poll

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

What do you think about the redesigned version of Smack Jeeves versus the old version?

Poll ended at February 13th, 2017, 6:38 pm

I prefer the new version and I'm perfectly happy with it
31%
I prefer the old version and I was perfectly happy with it
5%
I am perfectly happy with both
7%
I prefer the new version but I think it needs more work
49%
I prefer the old version but I think it could be improved upon
5%
I'm not crazy about either - I think an entirely new design would be better
2%
Other (please explain in a comment)
No votes

Total votes : 94

Redesign Poll

Postby Admin » February 8th, 2017, 6:38 pm

So, the redesign has been around for a little while now, about a month and a half. I'm curious how everyone feels about it now that it's had some time to settle in.

Pick the option that is most accurate, and feel free to leave your comments if you have anything new to add that you haven't already said in one of the other threads.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Redesign Poll

Postby EtherealCoffee » February 8th, 2017, 11:49 pm

I've been really happy with the new design! About the only thing I can think is that maybe the new layout could benefit from smaller cover images on the home page. I love the idea and how it looks from my desktop, but on a lower resolution monitor like I've got on a laptop, it takes some scrolling and it's a little easy to get lost and not be sure which category I'm looking at comics in. I also kinda miss seeing the amount of favorites my comics have right on the profile page. I feel like maybe these are nit-picks, but eh... there you have it.
EtherealCoffee

Postby arswiss » February 9th, 2017, 3:07 pm

I really like this new version although there are some minor tweaks I think could improve it.

-comics that have not chosen cover art yet could get some kind of default image as opposed to a blank space
-I prefer seeing subscribed fan count instead of reader count on the comic's profile
-I think the "add a comic page" button could have more emphasis on it, right now it kind of blends in with the rest of the text on the Site Management page (maybe even an upload button on the user toolbar at the top of the overall template? Kind of like what youtube has?)
-The Site Management page could use a link button directing to site stats

These are really nitpicky and overall I think the redesign is great! Thanks for putting so much work into this! :)
arswiss

Postby featherpencil » February 10th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Actually, I really do adore the new design and this may be just my opinion, you can take it if you think it would work well - but I kind of miss the old site's ability to hover over comics and see their latest page (I don't know codes and websites, so if it's really difficult, then please ignore me). I just think it gives newer comics a better chance, or maybe a bulb/summary as you hover over, that would be great too. I also don't know if I'm being an idiot but I kinda dislike the fact that pages on the site are now shown according to the later chapters and not the newer uploads. Yeah, that's all from me, I really do think it's convenient, and I'm not complaining, there's always ways to work around an issue, but those are just what I personally would like from this site ^^
featherpencil

Postby Ian Evans » February 11th, 2017, 12:15 pm

I think all I'd want to see different is:
I can't see my fans by name anymore, but I would like to.
I think there could be some kind of hall of fame, where older comics that won't have their cover updated because the artist has most likely stopped using smackjeeves could get some way of showing they are available on this sight. For example, one of my favorite comics on here is June. It is completed comic with over 1000 fans but there is no way to see it unless you were to search very specifically for it.

Other than that, I think the site update was very good and thought through.
Ian Evans

Postby AlkseeyaKC » February 12th, 2017, 9:18 pm

The new theme is WAY better then the old and I have to say, I love that is is easy to find new comics on Smack Jeeves, over other webcomic sites.
I like the top bar and how it alerts me of new comments or watchers.
I like how the comic management is now, makes things a lot faster. Before I had to click around a lot to get to things.
Comic covers are a little big, but I like the size of them on the Favorites page.
I feel like the comic profile should list monthly readers and how many people have favorites the comic. I wish the Patreon information was higher up or another marking some where to really show that the comic is Patreon supported. I feel like the Patreon and Status should be eye level with the cover and Latest pages.
On my profile, Favorite comics is a bit odd, but I don't mind it.

One thing I really wish SJ had is a bookmark system like other webcomic sites have, I think there might be one? But I never understood it? But If I click on a comic, it would be nice to be taken to the page I left off at. I've lost track of a lot of comics, and stopped reading them because of this. T^T

Over all I really do like the over all look and how they work: home page, comics page, My webcomics, and favorites.
Thanks for all the hard work you've done to the site!
AlkseeyaKC

Postby mitchellbravo » February 13th, 2017, 7:12 am

AlkseeyaKC wrote:
One thing I really wish SJ had is a bookmark system like other webcomic sites have, I think there might be one? But I never understood it? But If I click on a comic, it would be nice to be taken to the page I left off at. I've lost track of a lot of comics, and stopped reading them because of this. T^T

I never used it before but recently started with an established comic I'm catching up on now. Unless the creator removed the code for it, I think most SJ templates have the "save my place" widget installed. It doesn't happen automatically, but if you're reading a comic and want to use it, you can hover the mouse over the picture and then click "save my place" at the bottom. Then when you return to the site just click "continue where I left off" or I think sometimes it does it automatically? I'll have to double check that. But in my limited experience it does work. It's not automatic, but personally I prefer that, since I don't think I'd want bookmarks of each comic I clicked. But of course opinions vary.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby eishiya » February 13th, 2017, 8:51 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
AlkseeyaKC wrote:

I never used it before but recently started with an established comic I'm catching up on now. Unless the creator removed the code for it, I think most SJ templates have the "save my place" widget installed. It doesn't happen automatically, but if you're reading a comic and want to use it, you can hover the mouse over the picture and then click "save my place" at the bottom. Then when you return to the site just click "continue where I left off" or I think sometimes it does it automatically? I'll have to double check that. But in my limited experience it does work. It's not automatic, but personally I prefer that, since I don't think I'd want bookmarks of each comic I clicked. But of course opinions vary.

I think most of the current default templates are actually missing those buttons entirely, since they were annoying appearing on hover. It looks like only "Bliss" and "Simple and Clean" still have them, and on both of those the buttons are separate from the image.
I recently suggested to Admin that those buttons should be made customizable in the same way that Patreon log-in buttons are customizable, and hopefully that'll mean the buttons can come back to all the premade templates and look nice.

The other problem with them is they save your place in your browser cookies, so if you switch to another device or browser, you'll lose your saved place. I'd love to see these buttons become server-side.
eishiya

Postby AlkseeyaKC » February 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

eishiya wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:
AlkseeyaKC wrote:

I think most of the current default templates are actually missing those buttons entirely, since they were annoying appearing on hover. It looks like only "Bliss" and "Simple and Clean" still have them, and on both of those the buttons are separate from the image.
I recently suggested to Admin that those buttons should be made customizable in the same way that Patreon log-in buttons are customizable, and hopefully that'll mean the buttons can come back to all the premade templates and look nice.

The other problem with them is they save your place in your browser cookies, so if you switch to another device or browser, you'll lose your saved place. I'd love to see these buttons become server-side.

I can agree with these, Something should be worked out where they are more known or people understand that they can use them and they should be server-side. I do flip around between my computer and phone when I read comics. This would be well used by me. I have no Idea if my comic site has it or not. I'll have to look into this.
Edit: yes I has it.
AlkseeyaKC

Postby Admin » February 13th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Regarding the Save my Place widget - it's been server-side since December, but some updating is necessary if you use it:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18357
Admin
Site Admin

Postby eishiya » February 13th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Admin wrote:Regarding the Save my Place widget - it's been server-side since December, but some updating is necessary if you use it:
http://www.smackjeeves.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=18357

Ah, I forgot about that, sorry! I checked one of the default templates for the code and saw a cookie function in there.
I'd still like to see the buttons customizable, since their appearance is the main reason I don't put them on my own site; they just don't fit visually. I think something like this would be good for the button code:

Code: Select all
<style>
   .bookmarkWidget { /* Style the spans to look like buttons */
      border: 1px solid; /* not setting a colour makes the border the same colour as the text, making it fit into most templates by default */
      border-radius: 5px; /* Optional, but rounded corners seem to fit in more templates than sharp corners */
      padding: 4px 6px;
      margin: 5px;
      display: inline-block; /* makes the margin work nicely and should work trouble-free in most types of templates */
      background-color: inherit;
   }
   .bookmarkWidget.nosave {
      opacity: 0.6;
   }
</style>
<a href="javascript:whatever; return false;"><span id="saveMyPlaceButton" class="bookmarkWidget override">Save my Place</span></a>
<a href="javascript:whatever; return false;"><span id="continueReadingButton" class="bookmarkWidget override nosave">Continue Reading</span></a>
<script>
JS functions here, including the one that sets #continueReadingButton's class appropriately. The saveMyPlace function should set #continueReadingButton's className to just "bookmarkWidget override".
</script>

This way, the buttons should take on colours appropriate to the context automatically, but are also easy to customize with CSS. You could also style them to be more SJ-branded by default so they're more visible, but I think that'll make them look bad on most templates without customization. It would be nice if they included some icons though, those are usually nice to have. Ideally they should be monochrome SVG so that they can take on the surrounding colours.
My styling above might not work in all templates if used with the page overlay, since it might inherit a transparent background and be hard to read on top of the image. Perhaps because of that, it would be good to set default colours instead of getting them from the template, if they're low-key (not bright blue gradients xP). A possibly overkill fix would be to use the same JS initialization code that checks whether to fade out the Continue Reading button to check whether the buttons are within the overlay, and set a different class accordingly, so that they have fixed colours by default when used as an overlay, and inherit colours when used stand-alone.
eishiya

Postby AlkseeyaKC » February 14th, 2017, 4:04 pm

I was messing with the Save my Place feature and I do like it. I wanted to suggest maybe buttons to jump to last read page or newest page below the comic cover the favorites page.
AlkseeyaKC

Postby HABE » February 16th, 2017, 12:38 pm

I was going to suggest adding SmackJeeves promotional panes to the Comic Spotlight rotation, but that reminded me of how that section started bugging me a while ago too. I usually scroll it offscreen right away. To me, it's way too large and in-your-face for what it does, and the rapid motion makes it feel like an annoying pester ad that changes too fast to read anyway. All the same comics are in the spotlight section below, making one of the two redundant.
HABE

Postby eishiya » February 16th, 2017, 12:57 pm

HABE wrote:I was going to suggest adding SmackJeeves promotional panes to the Comic Spotlight rotation, but that reminded me of how that section started bugging me a while ago too. I usually scroll it offscreen right away. To me, it's way too large and in-your-face for what it does, and the rapid motion makes it feel like an annoying pester ad that changes too fast to read anyway. All the same comics are in the spotlight section below, making one of the two redundant.

AFAIK there are also promotional slides, but only for non-members, since they wouldn't be very useful for members.

I do agree that it's rather redundant. I like the slides myself, but I wish the front page had more variety.

Edit: I'd also really like to see the drop-down menus for My Webcomics and My Favorites to come back. They were so much more convenient for the way I navigate the site. I don't see why we can't have both - have the text link to the pages like it does currently, and add little arrows next to the text that open the drop-downs. I think that's how the old site had it.
eishiya

Postby pandarron » Today, 12:45 am

I like the new design, but I prefer the fan/subscription count to the reader count. It's more reliable, and easier to understand how many people are subscribing to my comic. Knowing how many readers/visitors is good too, so I think having both figures displaying on the comic profile would be ideal.
pandarron

Return to News