Re: Redesign

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Postby PJSam » May 20th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Only gripe I have is that the favorites list on the front page doesn't say when they last updated. If I was just popping in to check the site, I wouldn't know what updated from just a glance.
PJSam

Postby jpawlik » May 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I think the topbar is pretty intuitive but it takes too long to get to my own comic now in my opinion. Why should clicking on my comic's name send me to comic management and not the profile anymore when in the drop down menu there's already a button to post a comic and... profile management? Why is profile management so important, I'd much rather see my views before that.

But yes, front page is too cluttered and drop downs need some tuning.
jpawlik

Postby Glueckskeks » May 20th, 2017, 6:07 pm

I liked the original redesign better than this one, but I think this one has some good points as well. Overall, I like that all the features of the site can be gotten to fairly easily, but I think the site looks really plain and barebones now. The first redesign had the spotlight banners really prominently, so there was a lot of high-quality art and I liked the layout a lot more from an aesthetic standpoint.
Glueckskeks

Postby TheJGamer » May 20th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Honestly, I do like this redesign. It makes the site look prettier and fits the theme that the newer versions of technology (Windows 10, S8, i7, etc.) are doing.

However, I do feel as if the loading times take longer. It doesn't feel as quick as the Christmas 2016 Redesign.

I appreciate the idea of a "feed" so that people have an idea about what SJ is doing, but maybe it could be moved to the top. No one's going to scroll down that far. I for myself would not have noticed if I wasn't being curious and exploring every nook and cranny.

And finally, if you're redesigning the site, then why not change everything else? The comic profiles and the login screens all look the same. I think they could be changed. Again, the reinstatement of the fan list would be nice.

Other than that, I like this site update. The new "Favorites" and "My Comics" buttons are very nice!

EDIT: I just realized that the older site had a list of online users, which I kind of liked. I hope you are considering bringing that back as well.
Last edited by TheJGamer on May 20th, 2017, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join me and the guys and gals at MG in the chaos that is known as FLPWTV!

TheJGamer

Postby Seven Rain » May 20th, 2017, 8:19 pm

It's hard to say how I feel about it. I think, in my heart, I really like the new design. I think my only resignation just comes from the update shock of having it changed again so soon.
Looks like the new one's getting hit with a lot of flack, though. Poor Dan. Hope you can find a way to make everyone happy in the end, as impossible as that sounds.
Seven Rain

Postby Admin » May 20th, 2017, 8:27 pm

PJSam wrote:Only gripe I have is that the favorites list on the front page doesn't say when they last updated. If I was just popping in to check the site, I wouldn't know what updated from just a glance.

Fair point - couldn't figure out a great place to put last update text in that area. You can see last update times if you click on the Favorites dropdown, however.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seven Rain » May 20th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Okay, here's something that I couldn't quite place my finger on until checking out an archived shot of the last design;
Spoiler! :

The new design shaved off some of the extra space on either side and squished everything even closer together. I dunno if this was done to accommodate certain screens or phones or something, but it makes the site feel really tiny on a monitor like mine. The home site is like 1/3 blank white space now. I'm sure it's not easy to fix without messing with the whole layout, though.
I could probably get used to it anyway, but I thought I'd say something as long as everyone else is leaving feedback.
Seven Rain

Postby Admin » May 20th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Okay, here's something that I couldn't quite place my finger on until checking out an archived shot of the last design;
Spoiler! :

The new design shaved off some of the extra space on either side and squished everything even closer together. I dunno if this was done to accommodate certain screens or phones or something, but it makes the site feel really tiny on a monitor like mine. The home site is like 1/3 blank white space now. I'm sure it's not easy to fix without messing with the whole layout, though.
I could probably get used to it anyway, but I thought I'd say something as long as everyone else is leaving feedback.

What's your monitor resolution?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby likesummer » May 20th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Campion wrote:
Admin wrote:Regarding the Premium Promo spots that used to come with the Donator and Premium subscriptions. I did my best to make these work on the redesign, but I couldn't get them to a point where I was happy with them. So promotional spots around the site will no longer be a part of the Donator and Premium subscriptions. If you bought a subscription for this reason and would like a refund, please contact me and I'll be happy to oblige.

I was the one that originally asked about this. While these spots aren't mentioned as part of the advertised agreement for donators and premuim, it was nice to have a place to showcase those comics that support the site. Perhaps something can be done, such as an insertable widget, much like the mandatory Google/PW ad boxes used with free comics?

I agree with this. With the new change I was really disappointed to have lost this feature. I know Donator isn't throwing a huge amound of money at the site per year, but I think the feature was one of the things that drew me to SJ. I'm really disheartened to see it go and would love to see it worked into the new design which I otherwise find pleasing.

I'd also like to add that I also experience the same sort of screen space issue that Seven Rain does and my resolution is 1920x1080.
likesummer

Postby NorthernJin » May 20th, 2017, 9:01 pm

I really likes the genres and tags in the first redesign and now it's gone again.
Also having favourites in clear last updated order is a MUST.

I liked the first redesign better. This one doesn't utilize space as well. There is a whole lot of empty space on both the left and the right.
NorthernJin

Postby Gibson Twist » May 20th, 2017, 10:19 pm

I thought you hit it right on the head with the last design. I loved it, I thought it looked great and functioned well. I would love to see it return. I can't say I'm in love with the new design.

But I love you, Dan.
Gibson Twist

Postby Gigi19972010 » May 20th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Okay, here's something that I couldn't quite place my finger on until checking out an archived shot of the last design;
Spoiler! :

This is the only thing about this new redesign that has bothered me, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. My resolution is 1600x900.
Gigi19972010

Postby Ultizeta » May 20th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I liked the first redesign, and honestly I don't think that this one is really all that different. It DEFINITELY looked better on mobile than the previous one, which felt completely undesigned for mobile users, so in that regard, I like the new one more. I honestly don't really notice many other noteworthy changes that I have a strong opinion on, since they're mostly placement changes that I'm fairly indifferent towards.

One thing that I absolutely will say, though, is that I'm not a fan of the background/header color inversion. Both the site design that I grew used to when I joined in 2010, and the initial redesign in December 2016, had a white header with a nice, deep blue background gradient. Now the current redesign inverted that, putting the white on the background and the blue gradient on the header. It may seem silly, but because of that, it honestly no longer feels quite like Smack Jeeves anymore for me. I feel as though color association is an important aspect of marketing and brand recognition, so having Smack Jeeves become predominantly a white-colored website makes it feel rather minimalistic and less inviting to me. Since a lot of other websites are purely white, as well, it feels like the website no longer quite stands out to me anymore. I think the previous design nailed perfectly the familiar blue gradient with maintaining a good design sense and white space, especially with the expanded central design. I strongly feel that it would be a good choice to re-invert the header and background colors.
Ultizeta

Postby Seven Rain » May 20th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Admin wrote:
Spoiler! :

What's your monitor resolution?

1600x900.
Seven Rain

Postby freaks_are_unique » May 20th, 2017, 11:52 pm

the re-design sucks.i liked the one before because it looked bigger and the new one is small and just...ugh. change it back. :|
freaks_are_unique

PreviousNext

Return to News