Re: Redesign

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Postby Raichi » May 22nd, 2017, 3:53 pm

Meh... I liked the previous design better. Now all the covers are so tiny :/ And everything seems squashed to the centre, as if people still use square screens anymore nowadays..
Raichi

Postby mitchellbravo » May 22nd, 2017, 6:11 pm

Would it be unfeasible to keep the old redesign for computer users, and keep the new update for the site's mobile version? (sorry if I"m not using the correct terminology here)

I love the way the new version looks on my phone, but I definitely preferred the old way for my computer screen, which is my primary means of accessing the site. (I think this was the first time I've ever even looked at the Smackjeeves homepage from my phone, honestly). As others mentioned, the new layout has too much small stuff going on for how nice and big and ready my laptop screen is to show me some big pretty pictures.

All that notwithstanding- thanks for all the work you do, Dan. It's definitely appreciated, and your willingness to work with the community is really encouraging.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby TheJGamer » May 22nd, 2017, 6:13 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:Would it be unfeasible to keep the old redesign for computer users, and keep the new update for the site's mobile version? (sorry if I"m not using the correct terminology here)

I love the way the new version looks on my phone, but I definitely preferred the old way for my computer screen, which is my primary means of accessing the site. (I think this was the first time I've ever even looked at the Smackjeeves homepage from my phone, honestly). As others mentioned, the new layout has too much small stuff going on for how nice and big and ready my laptop screen is to show me some big pretty pictures.

All that notwithstanding- thanks for all the work you do, Dan. It's definitely appreciated, and your willingness to work with the community is really encouraging.

I gotta agree with you. The new SJ looks great on my phone, but I think it could be optimized for smaller screens. (I have an iPhone 4, don't judge x_x) However, I think we could keep the new dropdown bars and the community feed, which I personally like.
Join me and the guys and gals at MG in the chaos that is known as FLPWTV!

TheJGamer

Postby mitchellbravo » May 22nd, 2017, 6:19 pm

I like the community feed, too. I wonder if it would seem spammy when you get someone commenting on many pages of a comic (which I do sometimes when I'm reading an archive- does each comment show up as an item in the feed or is it grouped into just one notification/post?) but I dunno, it's just a nice reminder that people on the site interact through more than just the forums :)
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby jury » May 22nd, 2017, 8:44 pm

komae akabane wrote:Another re-design? Ugh..to be honest, i didn't like the last design but i think this one looks even worse..

Same here.i use on mobile and the loading page is slower.Also ,Each time theres a new update, i click on the comic and it loads, no prob here but then i click on the specific page that is new and it opens in a new window.... Whyyy? Personally I found that rather annoying.
I found old sj worked much better with mobile.
jury

Postby Micahjjg » May 22nd, 2017, 11:34 pm

Thanks. I'm unable to see those screenshots, unfortunately. Could you try imgur?

Here you go:
http://imgur.com/gtPTuO2
http://imgur.com/ZeTfxrI
What I said about epiphany being chromium based is wrong. It's webkit.
Micahjjg

Postby Blue Rose » May 23rd, 2017, 8:40 am

I don't mind the design as a whole, as simple and minimal has always been something I like, speaking as a graphic designer. But echoing what Micah posted the drop down menus (favorites tab, for example) doesn't really work, I guess? Whenever I click it open on my computer it opens a pitifully small window that cuts off the text and banner images.
Blue Rose

Postby Admin » May 23rd, 2017, 1:06 pm

Blue Rose wrote:I don't mind the design as a whole, as simple and minimal has always been something I like, speaking as a graphic designer. But echoing what Micah posted the drop down menus (favorites tab, for example) doesn't really work, I guess? Whenever I click it open on my computer it opens a pitifully small window that cuts off the text and banner images.

Are you using Epiphany too, or a different browser?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostieblu » May 23rd, 2017, 2:37 pm

the new mobile design makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to update my comic. since I only make my comic on my phone, I don't know how I can make it go on. PLEASE FIX THIS SOON. I couldn't update it for a week.
G.B.
ghostieblu

Postby Oly-RRR » May 23rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

I loved the first redesign (minor things aside) but I'm not keen on this one - it's too vertical and everything got tiny. I know that everything is phone-friendly and endless-scrolly these days but artists love their big screens for a reason. Right now everything is small and cluttered with lots of empty space on the sides.

And I don't think we need favourites on the front page - I think it's safe to assume that everyone clicking the front page goes there either before or after they've already read their favourites section. Right now there is a favourites tab on the profile, a favourites dropdown on the bar (that stays visible while you're on the front page)... surely this is enough? I think the front page should be more about discovering new comics and spotlight and such than appreciating stuff you're already reading steadily.

This said, I always feel rotten posting negative feedback like this because SJ is the only online community I've been a part of where user feedback actually matters. Thank you for the work you do, Admin!
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Blue Rose » May 23rd, 2017, 8:55 pm

Admin wrote:
Blue Rose wrote:I don't mind the design as a whole, as simple and minimal has always been something I like, speaking as a graphic designer. But echoing what Micah posted the drop down menus (favorites tab, for example) doesn't really work, I guess? Whenever I click it open on my computer it opens a pitifully small window that cuts off the text and banner images.

Are you using Epiphany too, or a different browser?

I'm just using Safari, one of the 4 default browsers.
Blue Rose

Postby sakohju » May 23rd, 2017, 10:06 pm

I didn't really see this new layout coming...to be honest, I haven't explored it a whole lot because I tend to use Safari a lot, and while the old layout had it's glitches with safari it was functional, but now everything is completely out of whack. Yes, while I do have devices I can access it on other browsers, I just mainly like to use Safari and unfortunately it's become almost unusable on this browser.
Other than that, like I said, I haven't taken a whole lot of time to explore the new layout yet, and perhaps I'll have more valuable feedback to offer once I do.

Thanks for that feedback. I believe I've fixed some of the Safari bugs. Please let me know if you find any more and post screenshots if you do.

Thanks Admin, I really appreciate it. Not a lot of sites these days seem so willing to listen to their users.

After looking at the new site on some of my other devices, I've found that it's really great on my phone, and in general other browsers display things just fine, everything runs smoothly and I don't have a problem with it. However, safari is still a problem.
I'm not sure if it's just my particular computer, but seeing as it's worked fine in other browsers, it may be the browser is the problem. Also, I had problems on safari with the last redesign too, but the site was still usable. Now, while yes, still usable, it's a hot mess and it took me a while just to find the log in button. As requested, I have taken some screenshots:

After scrolling past an area of random white space, and a lot of scrolling in general, here's what the community feed looks like:

I know it's rough coding for different browsers, and like I said, I like the way the site looks and runs everywhere else. If you can't find a solution to the problems with safari it's not the end of the world and I appreciate your willingness to try.
sakohju

Postby Admin » May 23rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

Thanks for the screenshots. Are you running the latest version of iOS as well, or a previous version?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby nocturnenebula » May 24th, 2017, 7:07 am

Before I get all negative and mean, I will say that the minimalist colours, font and spacing of the previous design and the new one is clean and aesthetically pleasing which is extremely important in a website's layout. Keeping the navigation bar simple and minimalist by adding a dropdown list also keeps it less cluttered. Sometimes less is more in a design. However...

This new one feels a little cluttered compared to the design before it. It doesn't really give the spotlight the space it needs/deserves compared to the design before. If the spotlight functions as the "featured" or "staff picks"-like section of the site, shouldn't it deserve more space on the page?
As for the entire layout, even though it is clean and spaced well, on a larger monitor resolution (1980x1080) the cluttered look becomes more noticeable compared to a monitor with a smaller resolution.
The tabbed comic navigation below also looks nice and clean, but -as just my opinion as a web designer for a living- I feel like it's more logical to separate the new and popular sections from each other. It works as is, which is an important aspect of function > design in a web layout.

I made two loose sketchy mockups on CodePen as a suggestion since I'm better with pretty boxes and pictures than I am with words. It doesn't have to be exactly as I designed the mockup, but it comes from my experience as someone who designed web sites and UI for a living.

https://codepen.io/nocturnenebula/full/NjozGr/
https://codepen.io/nocturnenebula/full/dWagay/

I know they look super generic in terms of a website's layout, and you're welcome to ignore the suggestion all together, but I really like that you're listening to our feedback and also asking for it. Thanks again for all your hard work.
To be honest, after fiddling around with a layout long enough I'll get used to it, but at the moment I'd prefer the one before this May update.
nocturnenebula

Postby popchromatic » May 24th, 2017, 10:34 am

From your community feed I've determined that the Admin left the hospital, got poisoned, and tried to fix it by eating an apple.
popchromatic

PreviousNext

Return to News