Smack Jeeves Awards 2011 WINNERS!

The latest happenings on Smack Jeeves
Forum rules
Please stay on-topic when responding to news posts.

Smack Jeeves Awards 2011 WINNERS!

Postby eishiya » July 22nd, 2011, 11:40 pm

We're back! The Official Smack Jeeves Awards 2011! The Smackies for short! We have sorted through the 200+ nominations and put together the lists of finalists in each category. Now it's time for you, the community, to pick the winners who will receive the coveted Golden Butler!

What is this?
The Smackies are our way of saying "thank you for making great comics!" by recognizing some of the best that the community has to offer.
Over the past few months, SmackJeeves members submitted well over 200 different comics for the awards, we have read every single one, and picked the ones we thought were the best in 22 categories. Now, it's time for the final step: Voting! That's right! Although we picked the top 5-6 comics in every category, the ultimate winners are up to you!

How do I vote?
To vote, please go to the Smackies 2011 website and look at the nominees for each category. The links are in the author comments. Once you've read the comics, vote in the poll that's under the nominee image! Votes submitted in any other way than the poll cannot be counted.
We highly suggest that you actually read the comics before voting. We want the Golden Butler to go to the comic that deserves it most, not the comic that already has the most fans.
The polls close on August 15th! A few days after that, we'll have the winners up.

Who put this together?
The 2011 Committee consists of:
- Afrohawkman
- H0lyhandgrenade
- Eishiya
- ParadoxComic
- Tezzle
Special thanks to Tezzle for putting the official Awards together in 2010!

What else can I do?
If you'd like to provide feedback, whether positive or negative, about this year's awards, please do so in the discussion thread so that we can continue to improve the Awards!
Aside from voting and giving us feedback, you can also go read some amazing comics to nominate for next year, or make some amazing comics of your own!
eishiya

Re: Vote Now! Smack Jeeves Awards 2011

Postby Seven Rain » July 22nd, 2011, 11:52 pm

Woohoo, gonna get to voting ASAP! :D
Sonic-ock wrote:Been a while, made a lot of really great friends here. I love this community and I love you guys, it's been so real...
Seven Rain

Postby Palutena » July 22nd, 2011, 11:59 pm

Voting is done on this side~
Nintendork for life.
Palutena

Postby Afrohawkman » July 23rd, 2011, 12:05 am

Yessss vote my pretties VOTE! NYEHEHEHEHEHEEEE!!!
Afrohawkman

Postby Cannetella » July 23rd, 2011, 12:09 am

Good luck everyone.
^_^
Cannetella

Postby Froken Keke » July 23rd, 2011, 12:56 am

GO AMINALS! <3
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Postby AlkseeyaKC » July 23rd, 2011, 2:19 am

WOAH!! I'm happy Demented City got in there! I'm really hoping for that one! Congrats the the finalists and good luck! =D
I can't wait to see the winners! X3
AlkseeyaKC

Postby tezzle » July 23rd, 2011, 6:47 am

Let me just say all the credit should go to the other members of the Committee. I've been away since June and couldn't contribute nearly as much as I'd like to have. You guys really pulled it off this year.

Good luck to everyone! Keep on Smackin'!
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby JimLad » July 23rd, 2011, 7:01 am

Go Kranburn! YEAAHHH
JimLad

Postby snugglebunny » July 23rd, 2011, 8:03 am

You know, maybe it's sour grapes but maybe it's not, considering I wasn't nominated for the category by anyone - but I think it's kind of in bad taste that any comics from committee members are in the nominations. Isn't that rather unsporting? It kind of undermines the fun of the contest (if not the validity) in my opinion. Probably something to think about for next year.
snugglebunny

Postby tezzle » July 23rd, 2011, 8:11 am

snugglebunny wrote:You know, maybe it's sour grapes but maybe it's not, considering I wasn't nominated for the category by anyone - but I think it's kind of in bad taste that any comics from committee members are in the nominations. Isn't that rather unsporting? It kind of undermines the fun of the contest (if not the validity) in my opinion. Probably something to think about for next year.

We've made sure to be as unbiased as possible. That's why we have multiple committee members. I doubt any of them would try to pull this, but if someone were to try to get their comic a nomination the others didn't feel was deserved they can easily be out-voted. Plus, we're going by the rest of the commuinity's opinions. If no one else wanted our comics nominated, you wouldn't see them on the ballot.

But regardless I can assure you this team wants what's best for the community as a whole, not just their own publicity. Besides, several committe members have REALLY popular comics already. It's not as if they need more recognition. XD
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby xkrazydog » July 23rd, 2011, 8:17 am

tezzle wrote:
But regardless I can assure you this team wants what's best for the community as a whole, not just their own publicity. Besides, several committe members have REALLY popular comics already. It's not as if they need more recognition. XD

Be careful how you word yourself tezzle, you just supported their claim.
xkrazydog

Postby snugglebunny » July 23rd, 2011, 8:19 am

Well the rules state you cannot nominate your own comic. Even if somebody else nominated a committee members comic, the committee still chooses the final nominations - so really - no committee member's comics should be up for final voting.

That's really a given in any contest.

Besides if a committee member's comic is really popular then for all practical intents and purposes they may as well have nominated themselves if their comic ends up in the final nominations anyway.

Next year you should really bar committee member's comics from entry for the sake of keeping the contest valid.
snugglebunny

Postby SuperBiasedMan » July 23rd, 2011, 8:30 am

snugglebunny wrote:Next year you should really bar committee member's comics from entry for the sake of keeping the contest valid.

I'm inclined to agree with this, for the sake of reassuring people that the committee is unbiased because this is the most reassuring thing that could be done in that respect.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby tezzle » July 23rd, 2011, 8:40 am

snugglebunny wrote:Next year you should really bar committee member's comics from entry for the sake of keeping the contest valid.

It has always been a point of consideration since the awards first started, and we'll continue to discuss it. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up doing that, and I'm fine with that decision if everyone really wants it, but on a personal level I've always felt the Committee's succeeded in acting outside of their own personal bias and objectively said to themselves "Is this comic better then that one in this category?" I know these guys, some of them I can safely call friends, I trust them, and when it comes to artists I've often found that they're the ones who are LEAST likely to think their work is more deserving of praise then a peer's, only because as a creator they can see every little flaw and whatnot.

But like I said, we'll talk it over and I can imagine the other committee members having no problem with barring their comics for the good of the community. I certainly don't. But at the end of the day, it's just the chance to win a drawing of a statue in your profile. I've never considered these awards something worth rigging. To what end? It's all a big publicity stunt. We ask you "Hey, what's your fav comics? We want to show everyone!" It's FUN, like a game. I guess I just feel if we have to make sacrifices out of a need of trust over this, then we're taking it more seriously then it needs to be taken. I made this for no other reason then to give the community stuff to do together, and to make it easier to find good comics hidden under the heaps of yaoi.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Next

Return to News