What makes a good starter comic?

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

What makes a good starter comic?

Postby Shyads » March 26th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I know that I'll learn the most from the first comic I do, but I also suspect that comic will be the one that I'll wish I could re-do the most, and I'm having trouble deciding on a guinea pig of sorts because i don't half-ass anything but I'm also not wanting to fuck up a good idea that couldve benefited from the knowledge that can only come from experience

To make a long story short i have. far too many ideas. to the point where I dont know which one to begin with. And I'm just really frustrated! If any of this makes sense

Anyone here finished multiple comics? I'm really hoping for some guidance, it feels like I'm drowning a bit in what-ifs over here and I don't know anyone personally that has seasoned webcomic experience :c
Shyads

Re: What makes a good starter comic?

Postby eishiya » March 26th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Start with something short, something longer than 5 pages but otherwise the shortest you've got. Make your first few comics a bunch of shorts that have different subjects and styles, so you can experiment with a variety of visuals, panelling types, etc without having to suffer through something you dislike for too long. After a few of those, you'll have developed the basic comicking skills you'll need to tackle a longer project. Even then, however, I'd recommend not starting your magnum opus just yet, and instead tackling a medium-length comic of 50-150 pages to develop your skills in dealing with chapters and longer stories.
eishiya

Postby Shyads » March 26th, 2019, 6:46 pm

That's a really good method! I know feeling trapped into something can kill motivation, and I want to actually finish things without hating them lmao

I should write up some one-offs, thank you so much!
Shyads

Postby ebonykun » March 28th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Something simple with a few characters. No complicated worldbuilding. Have one important conflict, more than that will make it hard to tie loose ends and can lead to plot holes. I see a lot of people starting with cool worlds and races and multiple conflicts/secrets for the protagonist(s) to fight against or discover...and while it's fun when you start, it becomes torture as you go on.

The first one should be manageable, to see if you can keep to a schedule and have a constant art style. To check on how good you are time management, how much you can art in a set period of time, test the waters and see how you gain an audience.

My two cents! :D
ebonykun

Postby kayotics » March 31st, 2019, 12:24 pm

There's a lot of different methods to starting your first comic. I went with the idea I was most passionate about. I tried multiple times to make a comic that was shorter and just couldn't get the energy up to care about making it, but once I started going with the idea that I loved the most, I had a way easier time keeping it going.

You know yourself better than anyone else, so if you think that my method of going with something you're really passionate about isn't going to work for you, don't listen to me! Just remember: if you can't complete a project, or can't even get it going, it's nothing to be ashamed of. You've still learned something from it!
kayotics

Postby Shyads » March 31st, 2019, 9:58 pm

y'all give really good advice here omg, i get far too into my own head for my own good sometimes

thank you so much for the encouragement ;;
Shyads

Postby Socratatus » August 12th, 2019, 6:53 am

Hmmm... And there`s me making a huge comic.

I find it really hard to keep my comics short. They take a life of their own and grow into mega books.
A Steampunk\sword & sorcery tale.
https://ko-fi.com/socratatus
Socratatus

Return to The Business of Comics