A New Start...?

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

A New Start...?

Postby jjfresh » December 9th, 2012, 6:12 pm

I've been having this thought in my mind; See the story I did was just for fun run, I never planned it out. Now when I look back at it, it hasn't come out very good and I'm not satisfied with it. I was thinking of scrapping it and trying a new story, one that is planned out. I thought of starting over for long time, but have not because I felt if I can't complete this one, I can't prove myself if I'm capable of making story...
What do you think? I not ask you to tell me what to do, but I want another opinion other than my own.
jjfresh

Re: A New Start...?

Postby forgotten_cake » December 9th, 2012, 7:19 pm

If you're not sure, maybe just put your current comic on a tentative hiatus and see if you ever feel like drawing it again, while you work on the other?
I had that problem with a ton of comics I didn't plan out in the past, and never finished any of them. But now that I have one I actually did put a lot of thought and planning into, I've found it's a lot easier to stick to.
forgotten_cake

Postby corruption » December 10th, 2012, 12:02 am

Start a new one. If you try to apply proper planning to a comic that was not planned to start with, you will not get it to work. If you try to remake it, the result will effectivly be a new comic, and you might as well label it as a new version of it. I am speaking strictly as a reader and not a writer.
We are all corrupt in our own ways
corruption

Postby jjfresh » December 10th, 2012, 12:29 am

What is "tentative hiatus"?

And yes, that seems like best idea. I also got other advice saying that that is best. I must think very hard about it now. This story now just wasn't planned very well to begin with and did not flow nicely. Bad mistake...
jjfresh

Postby Thera Dratara » December 10th, 2012, 10:12 am

Frankly, being able to plan out a story is what shows you're capable of telling a story in the first place. Hanging onto trying to fix what you've already done is probably more indicative of you not knowing when to stop opposed to being able to tell a good story.

However, always remember how much you learned from that first run :) (Personally learned a lot of my own)
Thera Dratara

Postby mosama » December 10th, 2012, 10:42 am

NEVER reboot a webcomic, I hate when people do that. If you're unsatisfied with this version of the comic then you'll be unsatisfied with the new version after a while too and you'll just wanna keep rebooting it forever. You have to learn to just accept the mistakes you made in the comic, finish it, and move on to something new. Think of your favorite childhood comic- what if the author never finished it because they couldn't stop rebooting it? Move on to something you can finish or finish the one you have.
mosama

Postby Erdgeist » December 10th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I'm with mosama on this one; if the webcomic's still salvageable and you know where you want to go, it'd be sweet to keep at it! Personally, concerning some webcomics I used to follow, it was kind of frustrating when it got so far only for the author to suddenly decide to reboot, which meant it would probably be another two years before they'd get to the same point and then continue where they'd left off.

Unless the content in the reboot is new and different enough to be worth the reboot, I wouldn't do it. But if you pretty much just started and have fewer than ten pages, and you're horribly dissatisfied with it and have a good idea of what you'd like to do instead, then I think it would be fine!
Erdgeist

Postby jjfresh » December 10th, 2012, 8:43 pm

I understand what you are saying...

I have three major stories I have planned almost everything out for both, but they are saved for future. When I signed on site, I thought I'd use one I have now, which was mostly idea at beginning, to do for comic. As said, it was not well put together and doesn't represent my greatest interests...beside the martial arts aspect...

Thera Dratara. You are right. I was trying to fix it, to see if it was possible but did not know what to do. In this case, it's not really I have no other ideas, more I have too many. That why I also try to hold from deleting this one. I tried because I didn't want to be one who has an idea then gets bored of it and give up. That is moral aspect that you should sometime know when to give up on, mostly as a tyro. Once more experienced, you shouldn't have need to delete story... you wouldn't have done it so poorly at start.

Mosama and Ergeist; That opinion is also why I held myself from deleting comic. I think it's frustrating when one gives up on story. I had one story I read I liked, but author scrapped it...and at such a tense end too! Lame, but she was one who got bored with story alot. From the requirements for the story, I can't fix it without turning it into something diff. Ruins the point or message.
See most authors often scrap because of no confidence in self or they get bored, like author I mention. But some also stop when they see story not going better or bad planning. In this one, I did not plan well, I didnt draw to my potential like I would must if I became prfession, and I messed up many things in drawings as well as pics.

It remind me many people see comics and think "I want to make my ideal of that" or "I want to try that,too" but they don't have technique or proper story design, it's just for fun. That is fine! Many do that in many different subjects! I do that, but there are few others who really want to learn it for hobby or so or few who truly desire it as profession. True manga or comic in general, have technique, skill, and passion. You need your feelings/opinions in it but mostly your passion, you really are try and love it. This comic I have now has my "I want to try that,too" person. I need to do a story that works with me, not random fun. My concepts that are archived have that, but I should make a good one. I think I will start over, maybe I can fix old one in future. Maybe...
jjfresh

Postby Taiki » December 17th, 2012, 10:30 pm

I ran into this same problem about a year ago. I had been working on the same comic for 5 years and had originally intended for it to last many more years but I got to the point where all of the mistakes in it were so frustrating. I outgrew a lot of stuff that was in it content-wise. When I started it I had no idea what I was doing and after working on it for 5 years I learned A LOT and wanted to do something new. So what then. Start it over? Finish it? Abandon it and start something new? The same questions you're asking yourself. In the end I decided to spend one more year on it and finish it. I had spent so much time on it and it meant a lot to me so I didn't want to leave it unfinished. Plus my readers deserved an ending. I hate it when people abandon long running comics. :[ So I didn't want to do that. It's now going to end in 2 weeks and I'm very proud of it and can't wait to get started on my next project that I spent a lot of time refining as I finished my current one.

Obviously you've learned from this comic since you realize that the flow isn't good, so that's awesome. C: I'm not sure what to suggest though. I don't think you should delete it, but if you're not going to work on it anymore and start something new, I think you should at least announce on that one that it's not going to continue and maybe type out what the rest of the story was for people who are interested?
Taiki

Postby Molly-sama » December 24th, 2012, 2:06 pm

mosama wrote:NEVER reboot a webcomic, I hate when people do that. If you're unsatisfied with this version of the comic then you'll be unsatisfied with the new version after a while too and you'll just wanna keep rebooting it forever. You have to learn to just accept the mistakes you made in the comic, finish it, and move on to something new. Think of your favorite childhood comic- what if the author never finished it because they couldn't stop rebooting it? Move on to something you can finish or finish the one you have.

I have to disagree with this. While it's true you can get very unsatisfied with your own pretty quickly, it's also true that rebooting could be in your comic's best interest if you find you have a plot hole fixing as you go would just make worse, or if there's something you add to the story/characters later that would MAKE a plot hole later on. I restarted before, but it was mainly based on plot/coherency problems I felt needed to be resolved before the story could go any further or before I should have started (looking nicer was just a plus since they started up years behind each other).

But the thing is, you can always go back and "fix" a page or two (say you wanted a mystical looking sky but didn't know how at the time of the page) or just spruce it up AFTER you've finished the comic. Comics, even those by DC/Marvel and some manga like Sailor Moon, do this constantly when they do reprints. But they finished the comics first, and mosama's rigt on that - doing so beforehand would just take forever.

What I'm trying to get out here is that I think you should restart a webcomic if you feel the issues with it are too damaging to the rest of it, such as a HUGE plot hole that's been there from the start (like the universe was created when God sneezed but later on you say God doesn't sneeze or something to that effect), or poor pacing/storytelling but not because of something like initially bad artwork.
Molly-sama

Postby jjfresh » August 6th, 2013, 10:43 am

Molly-sama wrote:
mosama wrote:NEVER reboot a webcomic, I hate when people do that. If you're unsatisfied with this version of the comic then you'll be unsatisfied with the new version after a while too and you'll just wanna keep rebooting it forever. You have to learn to just accept the mistakes you made in the comic, finish it, and move on to something new. Think of your favorite childhood comic- what if the author never finished it because they couldn't stop rebooting it? Move on to something you can finish or finish the one you have.

I have to disagree with this. While it's true you can get very unsatisfied with your own pretty quickly, it's also true that rebooting could be in your comic's best interest if you find you have a plot hole fixing as you go would just make worse, or if there's something you add to the story/characters later that would MAKE a plot hole later on. I restarted before, but it was mainly based on plot/coherency problems I felt needed to be resolved before the story could go any further or before I should have started (looking nicer was just a plus since they started up years behind each other).

But the thing is, you can always go back and "fix" a page or two (say you wanted a mystical looking sky but didn't know how at the time of the page) or just spruce it up AFTER you've finished the comic. Comics, even those by DC/Marvel and some manga like Sailor Moon, do this constantly when they do reprints. But they finished the comics first, and mosama's rigt on that - doing so beforehand would just take forever.

What I'm trying to get out here is that I think you should restart a webcomic if you feel the issues with it are too damaging to the rest of it, such as a HUGE plot hole that's been there from the start (like the universe was created when God sneezed but later on you say God doesn't sneeze or something to that effect), or poor pacing/storytelling but not because of something like initially bad artwork.

I'm currently on a different story and while I have been working on first few chapters/ first volume, I have completely redo story three times but it was possible because my current story makes sense....for me...
CISPI was set up badly and inconsistent. The story was a bit impulsive and not well planned so when I tried to rewrite, it made no sense. If a story makes no sense, then what is sense of keeping a bad story? Scrap it if it doesn't satisfy YOU. My other stories are more prepared, but don't publish an unprepared story if you don''t like it.

To Mosama; I dislike people changing the story constantly but like I said; if you are disatisfied with it, you should redo it, no exceptions.
jjfresh

Postby sanspants » August 6th, 2013, 12:57 pm

My advice: crank through the story you have so that you have a fair bit of backlog done, and the comic can run on its own for a bit.

Then, go through your storylines and write down the plot holes and inconsistencies. These are the things you need to tie up. This will allow you to see if there are any similarities in some of them and how you can try to link all of them together.

Then, sleep on it. You just revealed a lot of problems with your story, and your brain needs time to think about how to fix them.

At this point, you're ready to actually tackle how to solve the problem. See if you can link these inconsistencies together, or have a 'theme' that follows them. With this information, you can use these issues as plot hooks for future things, and eventually you can weave them into your current narrative. Inconsistencies are just plot hooks that the writer just hasn't addressed yet. ;)
Writer. Game designer.

There are no happy endings, because the story never ends.

mitchellbravo wrote:BETWEEN THE LOUD INFINITE ERA????
sanspants

Postby AshenSkye » August 9th, 2013, 11:35 am

I would go ahead and start on the new one and keep the old one up somewhere for nostalgic fans to check out. Or do both at the same time.
[ Just Another Day (webcomic) ][ Commission me! ][ Etsy ][ dA ]​

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby Hatter98 » August 20th, 2013, 9:33 pm

This is from past experience of hobbies, including webcomics, including my last webcomic that I did for the past 4 years:

If you don't like it, drop it.

I did it and started my new one and I feel great about it. And don't worry if you aren't capable of completing a story. My last comic a gag-a-day, and this one is a story. Just plan it out.
Hatter98

Postby cebap » September 9th, 2013, 2:01 pm

I think there's something to say about getting into the habit of finishing things. Not many comic projects get wrapped up, but are just left to die. I would say, if you think your project is not doing well, wrap up your comic as quickly as possible. Even if the ending is bad, there will be closure for both you and the reader.

But if you hate the story with a passion, I would just start a new story, and probably stay away from the same world/characters.
cebap

Return to The Business of Comics