Do you share your comic on Instagram?

A place for folks to discuss the professional side of comics and webcomics.

Do you share your comic on Instagram?

Postby jsuma » January 27th, 2017, 7:20 pm

I draw a comic strip and a big part of my following is on Instagram. I've noticed on Instagram, it's very common for people to post other artists comic strips or images with the artist credit cropped out or covered up with those watermarks from the Repost app. I get that the majority of the time it's just somebody wanting to share a funny post with their friends, and sharing images on the internet isn't something totally new, but it still bugs me that people post and repost my work after altering it to their liking and don't even think about respecting and giving credit to the artist.

With that said, does anybody share their work on Instagram and have this problem? Lately I've been experimenting with where I should place my credit and copyright on my comics before sharing, and have even resorted to using my own watermark.
jsuma

Re: Do you share your comic on Instagram?

Postby MIgman » February 2nd, 2017, 4:41 am

I saw an interview online where an Australian artist said the same thing. I have a feeling that it's just the nature of the beast. I've always hated plagiarists and plagiarism, basically because it shows a lack of integrity in the person ripping off or altering your work. I was thinking about Instagram too but hearing your experience is making me question if it's worth it. So, despite the 'rip-offs', do you think it's worth doing? I'm creating a graphic novel, so I know it's harder to plagiarise than single panel strips.
Updates Thursdays!
MIgman

Postby jsuma » February 2nd, 2017, 11:05 am

Well so far its been okay. I've sent polite messages to certain IG users that have shared my "altered" comic and ask them to credit me. Usually they do, and I've even made a few friends on IG who willcomment for me whenever somebody else posts my work without crediting me or after cropping out my name and credit. Usually when a very popular IG user reposts and tags me as well, I see a big jump in followers and hits on my webcomic page, so there are definitely benefits. I would say try it out. I try not to let it bother me much anymore, since 90% of the time its just somebody wanting to share something funny.
jsuma

Postby lemonliu32 » September 28th, 2017, 3:48 pm

I post snippets and the occasional full panel comic on Instagram sometimes, but I usually just stick to smackjeeves for posting content. I use my instagram as a sort of "behind the scenes look" rather than another platform to post pieces I consider to be portfolio/ manuscript work
lemonliu32

Postby Emevsa » November 16th, 2017, 6:20 am

I post WIPs and short videos on instagram rather than actual art. We also post when we update but we have text on those posts as well. I think it has worked better for us doing that rather than posting finished art itself.
Emevsa

Return to The Business of Comics