Commercials

Commercials

Postby mitchellbravo » July 17th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I know, I know- everyone hates commercials, they delay you from getting to watch the show, they're literally put there because someone wants you to give them your money.

But, every now and then, I see a commercial that is actually pretty clever or nice. Or, more frequently, one that is terrible and makes me swear off the product (if I can even remember the brand through my seething hatred of the commercial).

Off the top of my head, there's some ad for I think Magnum ice cream bars or something where the family inexplicably has one of those stereotype Buckingham Palace guards next to their fridge. One by one each family member takes the ice cream from the freezer, kind of taunting or messing around with the guard the whole time. Then, at the end, after everyone has gone away, he reaches in to get one for himself.
Why don't I like this commercial? The music always confuses the fuck out of me so I look over from whatever i"m doing and go, "Oh, THAT commercial again." And, why does this family have this man standing there? He doens't seem to be protecting the fridge or anything, it's literally like one of the ad writers was like "Oh man, you know what's so funny? Those British guards that just stand there! Can we put one in our ad? It'd be tops!" And you know from the moment the first person reaches in to get their ice cream, you KNOW the ad is going to end with the guard getting one for himself. But it feels like there's a million people going to the freezer before we get to that point, and it's so redundant by the time it gets to him.


For some reason, I always giggle at the Lectric Shave commercial though, where the camera zooms in to the man's stubble and every hair has his face on it, and they all call out "Lectric Shave!" as he shaves them away. It's weird and corny but I like it.


The ASPCA commercials that dominate certain channels. I'll change stations sometimes just hearing the music because I know what it's going to be :( They're extremely effective, in that they always make me want to "Pick up the phone right now," but they are a total conversation and mood killer and make whatever ad comes on next seem jarringly joyful in comparison.




Hey look at this I'm using red font I say this thread isn't just for TV and movie ads, but it can include radio, print, online ads, billboards, whatever, I just figured it fit best in this forum, as opposed to cluttering up poor GD with more of my diseased threads
Last edited by mitchellbravo on July 17th, 2012, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6462
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Commercials

Postby MadameEvelyn » July 17th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but for some reason when I listen to techno on Pandora a lot of the music that comes up is used in commercials... It's weird, because then I get even more confused because I think it's an ad on Pandora, except it's not.

On the above comment, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have seen all of the above before, but number two just served to confuse me. Most commercials do, nowadays. I don't think that's a good thing.
Image
Image
User avatar
MadameEvelyn
 
Posts: 72
Joined: August 9th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Re: Commercials

Postby Froken Keke » July 17th, 2012, 6:42 pm

I'm glad I don't watch television anymore, so I won't have to put up with this shit.
Image
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
User avatar
Froken Keke
 
Posts: 370
Joined: December 4th, 2010, 7:07 pm
Location: Sweden.

Re: Commercials

Postby Seven Rain » July 17th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Jack Links' Bigfoot commercials are probably my favorite commercials ever to exist. Or at least heavy contenders. Especially since there's actual variety and new ones.
What always annoys me more than flat out bad commercials is when there's a good commercial that obviously had some competent people behind it, but then the product never gets any new ones and they play the good one over and over and over again until I start to hate it.

*EDIT*
And my least favorites would probably be a tie between FreeCreditScore.com commercials, Progressive commercials and local commercials.
Image
User avatar
Seven Rain
 
Posts: 23798
Joined: February 21st, 2008, 7:05 am
Location: Nostalgia Town

Re: Commercials

Postby mitchellbravo » July 17th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Jack Links' Bigfoot commercials are probably my favorite commercials ever to exist. Or at least heavy contenders. Especially since there's actual variety and new ones.
What always annoys me more than flat out bad commercials is when there's a good commercial that obviously had some competent people behind it, but then the product never gets any new ones and they play the good one over and over and over again until I start to hate it.

*EDIT*
And my least favorites would probably be a tie between FreeCreditScore.com commercials, Progressive commercials and local commercials.

The free credit score ones, man, it's weird, I honestly can't decide whether I like them or not. They're so annoyingly catchy, but at the same time- they're so terrifically catchy!

Progressive I haven't been seeing too much anymore, I was close to being sick of seeing them at one point but I think they've varied the format enough that it doesn't bug me so much.

One of our local ads is for this tile store that has this burly man tucking the tiles under a blanket as he wipes a fatherly tear from his eye. It's so bizarre and corny that I can't hate it.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6462
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Commercials

Postby mosama » July 17th, 2012, 7:06 pm

There were these anti-smoking campaign commercials that featured people with holes in their throats to sort of shock people out of smoking, and I used to see them like 10 times a day so after some time I became totally un-sensitized towards them and began finding them funny.
Image
Image
User avatar
mosama
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: January 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Re: Commercials

Postby gun21 » July 17th, 2012, 7:11 pm

I remember the old anti-drug campaign from the 90's.

This is your brain: It's an egg.

This is your brain on drugs: It's an egg in a frying pan.

So remember kids, doing drugs will make your brain more delicious.
User avatar
gun21
 
Posts: 3487
Joined: March 7th, 2006, 4:41 pm
Location: NO PLACE FOR HIDEO

Re: Commercials

Postby robybang » July 17th, 2012, 7:17 pm

mosama wrote:There were these anti-smoking campaign commercials that featured people with holes in their throats to sort of shock people out of smoking, and I used to see them like 10 times a day so after some time I became totally un-sensitized towards them and began finding them funny.


Whenever I see anti-smoking/drug/whatever ads, I try to come up with some way they can be warped to promote drug use. I remember seeing that one and saying "So remember kids, smoke enough cigarettes and you can sound like a robot like these cool people!"

Also I have a DVR and I mainly watch recordings. So I barely watch any commercials.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
User avatar
robybang
 
Posts: 3900
Joined: June 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Re: Commercials

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 17th, 2012, 8:50 pm

There are radio ads that have been out for a few months now where old women act really really proud that they use food stamps and then their friends say "hot damn, I got to get me on the welfare too!"

It's like society has no shame anymore. You're not supposed to be proud that you're too poor to feed yourself, you're supposed to feel bad about it so you try to work harder to get out of poverty. Without shame there's no incentive for these people to better their lives.

"Yeah, I'd like to go on vacation with my grandkids, but I'm too poor. I'd try to look for a way out of poverty but I'm so damn cheerful about being on the welfare that I'm going to keep sitting on my ass collecting other people's money instead of doing something about it."

Don't get me wrong, there are people who need financial assistance, but they shouldn't walk around with a t shirt that says "I'm living off your tax dollars and there's nothing you can do about it!"


Then there's every single car insurance commercial ever made. It's like they try to outdo each other in douchebaggery or something. The Geico reptile is the worst character, but the 21st Century moustache guy is the worst ad campaign. He's so ugly, and the announcer has such an annoying voice ("Save Four-Ninety-Two-A-Nyear!"), and they do so much crap to perfectly good cars, I just want to punch whoever came up with those commercials in the nuts every time they come on.


And Magic Jack. I can't stand it. First off, they never say what it is they are selling or how it can cut my phone bill so drastically, second $1.95 a month does not add up to $19.95 a year, it's $23.40, third, every time they say the word "year" there's a cash register sound that makes me want to vomit, and fourth they play the commercial three or four times in a row every time they play it.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3912
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Re: Commercials

Postby mitchellbravo » July 17th, 2012, 9:00 pm

The Magic Jack commercials, the guy repeats the product name so many times it's like it's trying to out-Head On the Head On commercials.

apply directly to the forehead
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Image
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
User avatar
mitchellbravo
 
Posts: 6462
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Location: too tired

Re: Commercials

Postby robybang » July 17th, 2012, 9:05 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:There are radio ads that have been out for a few months now where old women act really really proud that they use food stamps and then their friends say "hot damn, I got to get me on the welfare too!"

It's like society has no shame anymore. You're not supposed to be proud that you're too poor to feed yourself, you're supposed to feel bad about it so you try to work harder to get out of poverty. Without shame there's no incentive for these people to better their lives.

"Yeah, I'd like to go on vacation with my grandkids, but I'm too poor. I'd try to look for a way out of poverty but I'm so damn cheerful about being on the welfare that I'm going to keep sitting on my ass collecting other people's money instead of doing something about it."

Don't get me wrong, there are people who need financial assistance, but they shouldn't walk around with a t shirt that says "I'm living off your tax dollars and there's nothing you can do about it!"



That reminds me, the military puts out radio ads encouraging people to enlist, and while I have no problems with people that do, the commercials are so irritating because they have one person who opposes the person enlisting, and the whole argument is strawmanned:

Strawman: Johnny, don't enlist!
Johnny: Why? The military pays for my college, I'll be in the reserves so I don't have to serve on the front lines, and training is only a few months out of the year.
Strawman: Uh, okay.

Which makes me ask why they even bother using this format in the first place.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
User avatar
robybang
 
Posts: 3900
Joined: June 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Re: Commercials

Postby Ddraigeneth » July 17th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Head-On can burn in hell.


The only product I ever purchased because of a commercial is Old Spice body wash. Whoever was in charge of the commercials with Isaiah Mustafa really hit on something great. Nonsensical? Maybe. But hilarious and entertaining. Plus, his Twitter responses.
And I like the Geico gecko. :(
User avatar
Ddraigeneth
 
Posts: 5475
Joined: June 26th, 2010, 12:06 pm
Location: 6 inches to the right

Re: Commercials

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 17th, 2012, 9:29 pm

robybang wrote:That reminds me, the military puts out radio ads encouraging people to enlist, and while I have no problems with people that do, the commercials are so irritating because they have one person who opposes the person enlisting, and the whole argument is strawmanned:

Strawman: Johnny, don't enlist!
Johnny: Why? The military pays for my college, I'll be in the reserves so I don't have to serve on the front lines, and training is only a few months out of the year.
Strawman: Uh, okay.

Which makes me ask why they even bother using this format in the first place.

What I don't like is that these ads perpetuate the whole myth of the liberal arts education. Instead of "I'm gonna serve my country because it's cool or I want to shoot people or because I like the ideals the military presents," it's "I'm gonna serve my country to get a paycheck and go to school where I can drink until I pass out, bang easy women, and get a worthless degree that has nothing to do with the career I'll get when I graduate without racking up huge debt like all the civilians will."

And the strawman always says something like "we'll have to think about this more."
One time I want Johnny to say "fuck no, I'm 18 and if I want to join I'm joining and there's nothing you can do to stop me!" THAT's the attitude I want for my soldiers.


I like the old one for the Marines:

Specifically because of this:



And then there's this:

Probably the best commercial I've ever seen. The book sucked. The only two likeable characters die, the supposed "heroes," or at least the characters we're supposed to sympathise with, are worse than the "villains," the story repeats two or three times because nobody learns anything from past events, the whole thing is 100 pages too long. I can see how he puts out ten or more books a year now, if the quality is this bad. It is literally impossible for someone without the name recognition of a Glenn Beck or a Scott Adams to write a book this shitty and get anyone to publish it. That's the problem with the whole publishing industry: if you're famous you can produce garbage, if you're a nobody you can make gold and they don't care.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3912
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Re: Commercials

Postby robybang » July 17th, 2012, 9:47 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:And then there's this:
*snip*
Probably the best commercial I've ever seen. The book sucked. The only two likeable characters die, the supposed "heroes," or at least the characters we're supposed to sympathise with, are worse than the "villains," the story repeats two or three times because nobody learns anything from past events, the whole thing is 100 pages too long. I can see how he puts out ten or more books a year now, if the quality is this bad. It is literally impossible for someone without the name recognition of a Glenn Beck or a Scott Adams to write a book this shitty and get anyone to publish it. That's the problem with the whole publishing industry: if you're famous you can produce garbage, if you're a nobody you can make gold and they don't care.


Even worse, Glen Beck didn't even write the book. Turns out that the book was ghostwritten by Jack Henderson, who ghostwrote a similar book called Circumference of Darkness, which was the same book but with the character names changed and the political affiliation of the bad guys and good guys swapped.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
User avatar
robybang
 
Posts: 3900
Joined: June 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Re: Commercials

Postby UrbanMysticDee » July 17th, 2012, 10:12 pm

robybang wrote:
UrbanMysticDee wrote:And then there's this:
*snip*
Probably the best commercial I've ever seen. The book sucked. The only two likeable characters die, the supposed "heroes," or at least the characters we're supposed to sympathise with, are worse than the "villains," the story repeats two or three times because nobody learns anything from past events, the whole thing is 100 pages too long. I can see how he puts out ten or more books a year now, if the quality is this bad. It is literally impossible for someone without the name recognition of a Glenn Beck or a Scott Adams to write a book this shitty and get anyone to publish it. That's the problem with the whole publishing industry: if you're famous you can produce garbage, if you're a nobody you can make gold and they don't care.


Even worse, Glen Beck didn't even write the book. Turns out that the book was ghostwritten by Jack Henderson, who ghostwrote a similar book called Circumference of Darkness, which was the same book but with the character names changed and the political affiliation of the bad guys and good guys swapped.

This makes the book worse because now there are two of them in existence.
Image Image
Image
Image Image
User avatar
UrbanMysticDee
 
Posts: 3912
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 12:33 am

Next

Return to TV & Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest