Films that made you think

Films that made you think

Postby tentacletomato » October 25th, 2017, 11:37 pm

I'm curious to know, what films made you think? Were they psychological, thriller, horror, etc? What is it about the films you've seen that got you and did they leave an impact on how you write/draw comics?
tentacletomato

Re: Films that made you think

Postby Admin » October 26th, 2017, 2:06 am

I've been thinking about The Matrix lately. Other thought-provoking movies include Donnie Darko and Pan's Labyrinth.

A lot of my favorite movies are simply inspiring rather than thought provoking; movies with a hero, a villain, or a love interest. These concepts may be cliche in the general sense, but a good story is based on real, specific characters in truthful situations. More often than not, in stories I really connect with, one character stands out above the rest as the subject of my intrigue or admiration. Some stories have multiple characters that I connect with - Harry Potter is a good example.

I'm not a writer so far, but maybe one day I'll take a crack at it.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby UrbanMysticDee » October 26th, 2017, 10:49 am

Since I'm writing a medieval interpretation of the Aeneid I got to thinking how the Aeneid is the exact same story as The Land Before Time.

You have this young hero, this prince (Aeneas/Little Foot) whose mother is a spiritual being (Venus/Little Foot's mother dies and communicates with him in apparitions), and his home is destroyed in a great conflagration (Sack of Troy, horrible Mesozoic continental drift and volcanoes). This hero has to lead a gaggle of yokels who would be lost without him (the Trojans/other dinosaurs) on a great quest (the story itself) to found a new promised land (Rome/the Great Valley). The whole time they are chased by an evil supernatural entity who is trying to kill them (Juno/Sharp Tooth). The hero makes a journey to the underworld to consult with a deceased parent (Aeneas with his father/Little Foot with his mother) to receive a prophecy about finding paradise at the end of the journey. There is a tremendous battle between the forces of good and the forces of evil where the main villain is finally killed with a giant rock (Turnus has his head smashed in and Sharp Tooth is clobbered with a boulder and drowns). The heroes then find their new home and many more adventures follow (all of Roman mythology/a series of musical sequels).

It's the same story, only one has people and the other has dinosaurs. It's the same exact story. I don't know if that was intentional, but that's something to think about.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby MK_Wizard » October 27th, 2017, 7:48 am

I would have to say the classic Blade Runner and Arrival (though I hate what the guy did and I think what he did was cruel).
MK_Wizard

Postby gun21 » November 15th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Children of Men: Sci-Fi story about humanity becoming completely infertile and the population declining which is sort of the main story in the foreground, but the real interesting stuff happens completely in the background of the film. The background focuses mainly on global immigration trends. The epidemic of infertility causes third world governments around the globe to collapse, creating massive refugee crises into more powerful/stable countries, in the case of the film being the UK, who retaliate by adopting far-right extremist policy of rounding up the immigrants and placing them into open-air ghetto prisons similar to Guantanamo Bay, or even the Gaza Strip, which spurs the refugees into becoming terrorists and rising up into an armed rebellion against the governments.
gun21

Postby AltCat » January 5th, 2018, 10:47 am

Well, most of them.

Hi by the way. :mrgreen:
AltCat

Postby darkenergy » January 5th, 2018, 11:37 pm

I read this really great blog post on how incredble the attention to composition and framing is in Pixar movies, so I've been paying a lot of attention to that. As far as the more deeper stuff goes, I get that from books and news. I mostly watch movies for the explosions :P
darkenergy

Postby snowwhistle » January 8th, 2018, 11:56 pm

3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri made me think in that sort of: "I just can't put words to what I just saw kind of way". It was such a great and thought provoking film about the nature of how people act and lash out in the face of tragedy or adversity, and man their were some brutal scenes, both physically and emotionally, in that movie that left me just beyond stunned both while I was watching and was hard to sum up to myself after I left and I haven't seen a film like that which evoked that kind of reaction out me since probably Schindler's List.
snowwhistle

Postby Muntyc0re » January 31st, 2018, 10:30 am

Nocturnal Animals. It is, simply, flawless. There is no part of this film that could be changed or subtracted without damaging the rest of it, and there is nothing that needs to be added.
Muntyc0re

Postby artofjoe » January 31st, 2018, 2:12 pm

Murder on the Orient Express. I really like the moral dilemma in this one, it makes you leave the theater wondering about who was actually right in what scenario. I really enjoyed the new one, I have seen the old, but i would go with the new one.
Donnie Darko. If you haven't seen this, you need to. It's a mindfreak, but it gets you thinking.
artofjoe

Postby Karakuri642 » February 3rd, 2018, 11:24 am

For my comic, the biggest inspiration has been the movie The Omen. I watched it when I was 13 and decided to make a story about the antichrist, though the one in my comic is nothing like with the one from the film in terms of personality and appearance. Even though the antichrist in the film was bad, it made me wonder what it would be like if he wasn't evil. If he was just misunderstood, or even if he was the one meant to save the world, not end it.
Karakuri642

Postby Robobuddies » February 18th, 2018, 11:54 am

I've seen a lot of movies that made me think about various things, but Contact was the first and so far only film that ever made me actually reconsider my stance on something. I used to be an atheist who thought that anyone who believes in a certain religion is an idiot, but after seeing Contact I've since become far less harsh on my stance, and I'm more than willing to accept that the possibility of a god does exist, even if we can't see it yet.

I also really enjoyed Anomalisa. Hated it when I first walked out of the theater, I felt it was stupid that the main character had no arc or self-evaluated, but then I realized that that was the point. The fact that he refuses to see people as individuals has cursed him to the point that he is now physically incapable of differentiating faces and voices, and his refusal to improve leads him to the misery the film ends on. Still think there are things about that film that could stand improving, but overall an amazing watch. Very NSFW though, don't watch it with your parents.
Robobuddies

Postby Rocatex » May 29th, 2018, 9:09 am

for me, it was definitely the incredibles
Rocatex

Postby Oly-RRR » May 29th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Shows tend to make me think more than films, at least in a positive way. With films it tends to be that films that make me think the hardest are also the films I would be really tempted to unsee if I had the choice (not naming any of those below).

This Is England, Billy Elliot and Little Miss Sunshine are the most positive thought-provoking examples I can think of out of the stuff I've seen recently.

Lilo & Stitch and Wrinkles are the best animated movies I can think of. I used to be really big on Pixar but the direction they have taken lately has kinda cheapened their older movies for me too, unfortunately. :?

Donnie Darko is good but it won't leave you with a happy feeling.

Inside I'm Dancing (gosh it took me a while to remember that title) and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest definitely broke my brain when I first saw them but I'm not saying they are perfect movies or work without understanding of the bigger picture, just that they were good stepping stones for me to think further.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Return to TV & Movies