Anime thread?

Re: Anime thread?

Postby Raging Ghost » July 14th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I gotta be honest, I'm shocked that the walking Hot Topic advertisement that excreted that Power Rangers shortfilm actually made a good Castlevania adaption.
Everywhere I go people seem to praise it. I'll have to suck it up and check it out sometime, I guess.

Actually, the Castlevania anime is produced by the same guys behind Adventure Time. Well, unless you're talking about either Warren Ellis or Adi Shankar, I dunno.

EDIT: Ooooooh, I think you're talking about Adi Shankar, right?
Raging Ghost

Postby Seven Rain » July 14th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Raging Ghost wrote:EDIT: Ooooooh, I think you're talking about Adi Shankar, right?

I am. Sorry, I can't help but make fun of the dude.
I mean look at him;

It's cool that everyone is saying Castlevania is good, though. I've seen some killer animation and fights from it.
Seven Rain

Postby gun21 » July 17th, 2017, 3:06 pm

The Power Rangers shortfilm was also cool.

He also made Dredd, which has the coolest god damn dialog ever written.

Goth M.Night Shyamalan has earned his stripes, and can wear his eyeliner proudly.
gun21

Postby Seven Rain » July 17th, 2017, 4:23 pm

gun21 wrote:The Power Rangers shortfilm was also cool.

I couldn't even finish it, man. I'm reluctant to say I've surpassed you in cynicism, since my distaste for it really comes from Sentai stuff being something I don't care to see tainted with gritty edgy stuff as opposed to extravagant cheese, but I'm still surprised to find out that so many nerdy people I know liked it.

gun21 wrote:He also made Dredd, which has the coolest god damn dialog ever written.

I actually meant to watch 2012 Dredd but never got around to it. Still wanna see it sometime.
Seven Rain

Postby gun21 » July 17th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
gun21 wrote:The Power Rangers shortfilm was also cool.

I couldn't even finish it, man. I'm reluctant to say I've surpassed you in cynicism, since my distaste for it really comes from Sentai stuff being something I don't care to see tainted with gritty edgy stuff as opposed to extravagant cheese, but I'm still surprised to find out that so many nerdy people I know liked it.

My cynicism is mostly reserved for the actual planet these days.

I like it because it swings so far away from what the original Power Rangers were that it doesn't even feel like a continuation, or even Parody.

I don't have too many memories of the actual content of power rangers though. Apparently I must have loved it though, because I have this picture of me from over 20 years ago with two Turbo Rangers.

That Astronaut Wolverine figure is fucking sick though.
gun21

Postby Seven Rain » July 17th, 2017, 6:21 pm

I'm actually kinda jealous. I wish I still had old pictures that showcased my Power Rangers fanaticism as a child.
I do have lots of hilariously awful childhood Power Ranger pictures and comics I drew, though. I should scan them someday, but I'm getting too off-topic with it now.
Seven Rain

Postby gun21 » July 17th, 2017, 6:28 pm

I also remember having the belt that came with all of the coins they used to transform. On one side was the original Dinosaur they had, and the other side was the post-movie Jungle Animals, as well as a Red Ranger Mask with gloves that would sing "Go Go Power Rangers" whenever you squeezed a little widget inside.
gun21

Postby Seven Rain » July 17th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Ha, I think I had that same thing. It didn't sound familiar until you mentioned the dual-sided coins.
Seven Rain

Postby TheJGamer » July 31st, 2017, 11:33 pm

Anyone here watch Haikyuu? It's an awesome anime with great character development and overcoming obstacles. Easily one of my favorite sports anime.
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby Soft Dorito » August 14th, 2017, 11:59 am

I've been rewatching a few Samurai Champloo episodes each day, and I love how well the series still holds up and how I can rewatch it so many times. I can't rewatch a lot, whether I love it or not, but this one I can.
I'm trying. :)
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Sketchbook
Soft Dorito

Postby Raging Ghost » January 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Pop Team Epic is basically what would happen if you make anime-based shitposts.
Raging Ghost

Postby Cave » January 24th, 2018, 10:30 pm

TheJGamer wrote:Anyone here watch Haikyuu? It's an awesome anime with great character development and overcoming obstacles. Easily one of my favorite sports anime.

Haikyuu is amazing.

Raging Ghost wrote:Pop Team Epic is basically what would happen if you make anime-based shitposts.

Pop Team Epic is also amazing. I actually wasn't sure the first two episodes, but episode three was solid and just very well done. Especially the idol clip which was very much so needed in today's over-saturated idol market.

There are actually a lot of great shows this season. Violet Evergarden has also been excellent.
Cave

Postby Muntyc0re » January 29th, 2018, 9:35 am

this Winter I am watching
Violet Evergarden
Darling in the FranXX
Beatless
Ito Junji: Collection
Mahoutsukai no Yome
Muntyc0re

Postby eishiya » February 7th, 2018, 1:30 pm

I watched the first three episodes of Ronja, the Robber's Daughter today. I wanted to like it and give it a better chance than just three episodes, but the animation is distractingly bad. I have nothing against 3D anime in general, but there are still flaws to be worked out (or at least worked around with some 2D tweaking), and Ronja is full of them.

There are cel-shading and lineart artefacts that should've been hand-cleaned. Characters interact with objects and each other very stiffly (for example, clothing doesn't deform or crease when something is pressed against it, fingers float above creases in held objects instead of pressing into them), looking like something I'd find in an video game in-engine cutscene rather than something pre-rendered. There's no squish & stretch, so the motions feel slow and stiff. Wind doesn't affect hair, making it look plastic, despite the fact that in some scenes they animate rather bouncing/drag on it, so clearly the hair is rigged for animation. Some of the character models have overly-detailed hair (especially facial hair) which results in a mess of lineart in the final shots that looks out of place with the otherwise simple-looking clean style.

The 2D painted backgrounds are beautiful, and it seems that stand-in 3D models were created of them so that the shadows could be rendered correctly, which shows that they really cared. ...buuut, the rendered shadows add with the pre-painted shadows, which hurts the integration of the 3D characters with the 2D backgrounds. What's weird is that they seem aware of this issue: in one shot, they avoided it by having the rendered shadow fade out where the painted shadow begins. Just for one shot though...? They also seemed to have manually done the fading, even though just about any compositing software lets you do this automatically with conditional blending.

Overall, the animation looks like something you'd find in a mediocre 3D video game, it doesn't look like animation I'd expect of a studio with numerous titles under their name (all apparently suffering from similar issues), and it certainly doesn't look like the animation quality I'd expect from a studio working together with Studio Ghibli.

The writing of the show is also... unrewarding, at least so far. I usually love slow-paced stuff, but here, there's no sense of build-up at all so far. The slow pacing seems to just be a the writers not knowing how to fill 26 episodes, rather than something to help establish the mood and give more weight to major events. It's possible that the slow pacing is meant to help create a stronger emotional connection with the main characters, but I found it hard to care about any of them.

I heard it gets better and perhaps I'll try watching on later, but for now, I need a long break from it because the animation problems rile me.
eishiya

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Movies