Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby diceknight » November 17th, 2014, 2:46 pm

ChrisH wrote:I'm not gonna read much of this thread because I don't want alot spoiled but I'm gonna ask do I need to know extensive lore to The Last Airbender if I want to start the Legend of Korra? I know the basic plot points because I watched it years ago but I forgot alot aswell.


I think Korra can be appreciated stand alone, but you'll enjoy certain parts a lot more with a good memory of TLA. It does a good job of giving people what they need to know of the lore, but some characters you'll get to be all "I REMEMBER THEM" which is fun.

But if we're being totally blunt, I'd say watch TLA first anyway, because it's just so, so, so much better. I'm planning on rewatching it soon myself.
Image
User avatar
diceknight
 
Posts: 571
Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 2:12 pm

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby RallyPchan » November 18th, 2014, 7:45 am

Spoiler! :
Image
Image


We'll see Toph in the next episode... right??
Image
User avatar
RallyPchan
 
Posts: 116
Joined: October 19th, 2008, 1:03 am

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby diceknight » November 18th, 2014, 1:20 pm

RallyPchan wrote:
Spoiler! :
Image
Image


We'll see Toph in the next episode... right??


I hope the next episode plays out like a horror movie, with each of Kuvira's soldiers disappearing one by one until there's only her left, running from an overpowering, unstoppable force.
Image
User avatar
diceknight
 
Posts: 571
Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 2:12 pm

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby diceknight » December 19th, 2014, 2:33 am

Just watched the series finale. That was...intense.

Spoiler! :
So much I loved about it. Kuvira is a badass as always, and all the action was great. But really. Korrasami. Canon.

I'm 33 and I had tears in my eyes; not because of the scene, which is admittedly great, but because of what it means. Huge step forward in this country that so often feels like it's being drug backwards. When I was young seeing an ending like that would've done -so- much to push down a lot of the self-hatred and guilt I was going through at the time. It doesn't matter that there wasn't a kiss; it was still more than we've ever seen in a cartoon geared towards younger people. That little 1 minute scene is going to make a lot of confused, conflicted young people feel one hell of a lot better about themselves.

Bravo, team Avatar.


So basically...

Spoiler! :
Image

SHIPPING SUCCESSFUL WOOOO
Image
User avatar
diceknight
 
Posts: 571
Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 2:12 pm

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby Randumbz » December 19th, 2014, 6:45 pm

diceknight wrote:Just watched the series finale. That was...intense.

Spoiler! :
So much I loved about it. Kuvira is a badass as always, and all the action was great. But really. Korrasami. Canon.

I'm 33 and I had tears in my eyes; not because of the scene, which is admittedly great, but because of what it means. Huge step forward in this country that so often feels like it's being drug backwards. When I was young seeing an ending like that would've done -so- much to push down a lot of the self-hatred and guilt I was going through at the time. It doesn't matter that there wasn't a kiss; it was still more than we've ever seen in a cartoon geared towards younger people. That little 1 minute scene is going to make a lot of confused, conflicted young people feel one hell of a lot better about themselves.

Bravo, team Avatar.


So basically...

Spoiler! :
Image

SHIPPING SUCCESSFUL WOOOO

It kind of reminded me of the Velma and Hot Dog Water stuff from scooby doo: mystery inc.



Overall, the series didn't feel satisfying for me. The villains all essentially had he same goal. They wanted to create their idea of order and just went way too far. It was like season one was just repeated 3 more times with slight variations. The last two seasons were more enjoyable at least (because of Varrick and because there was less focus on relationships). I just wish that Korra had been more likable. She was overly rough most of the time and unwilling to listen to other people. I'm kind of sad that it's over though.
Spoiler! :
Image
User avatar
Randumbz
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: November 10th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Impel Down

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby Amante » January 1st, 2015, 5:28 am

Finally caught up from when I stop after the end of season 1 a couple of years ago. season 3 was hands down my favorite season. The fights between the Red Lotus group and Tenzin at the air temple/ team avatar in the final episode were absolutely bad ass and animated magnificently. Season 4 was ok, I liked Kuvira a lot but that arc just didn't seem like a good arc to end on for me.

Also about Korrasami, I actually liked that there wasnt a kiss. Sure it made it confusing to some viewers, but that's how love plays out sometimes. There isn't always a clear signal, sometimes you just know you love someone who's always been there for you and helped you through hard times.
Any SJ related questions? Feel free to look around, and if you can't find an answer, make a topic here and we'll get to you as fast as we can! :D

BlackBlade Rising revamp COMING SOON!
User avatar
Amante
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby gun21 » January 3rd, 2015, 1:53 am

Amante wrote:Finally caught up from when I stop after the end of season 1 a couple of years ago. season 3 was hands down my favorite season. The fights between the Red Lotus group and Tenzin at the air temple/ team avatar in the final episode were absolutely bad ass and animated magnificently. Season 4 was ok, I liked Kuvira a lot but that arc just didn't seem like a good arc to end on for me.

Also about Korrasami, I actually liked that there wasnt a kiss. Sure it made it confusing to some viewers, but that's how love plays out sometimes. There isn't always a clear signal, sometimes you just know you love someone who's always been there for you and helped you through hard times.


I liked Season 4, but I agree, Kuvira is kind of a weird villain to end on.

It seems like they took their plans for Season 4, and shoved it into season 2. Kuvira and Zaheer are great villains, but everything seems like kind of a step down from Vattu, the evil death god of death (It's also unfortunate that every other voice actor who played a villain had to try and follow up Steven Blum's Amon.) I mean, a giant walking robot with a canon is cool, but it can't really compete against a giant walking god who's going to destroy the world.
User avatar
gun21
 
Posts: 3487
Joined: March 7th, 2006, 4:41 pm
Location: NO PLACE FOR HIDEO

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby Ddraigeneth » February 3rd, 2016, 12:34 am

Husband and I finally got the chance to watch Korra. We wanted to wait until it was finished, so we could binge it all at once. Good stuff. We're talking about watching The Last Airbender again (the series, not that piece of junk movie). We've already seen it twice, all the way through, and my husband usually doesn't like rewatching things.

Spoiler! :
On the note of villains, there was a definite theme of perceived oppression. With the exception of Vaatunalaq, each of them felt separate and isolated in society, and wanted to change the political balance. And the source of conflict with Vaatu was him convincing Wan that Raava was oppressing him.

Kuvira's whole arc felt a little odd. It was purely a political situation, and if she hadn't attacked Republic City, there was really no reason for the Avatar to get involved. Nothing she did was even that bad, until they decided to literally make her Hitler, with the reeducation camps and whatnot. Then it's just, "Oh, people are so mean, I never fit in...oh, you understand how I feel? I guess I was wrong after all, sorry."

I kind of appreciated that Korra wasn't more "likeable." Her temper and uncertainty kept her from being a Mary Sue. The development of her and Asami's relationship was subtle, but nicely handled. Not quite enough fuel to make overly-conservative parents freak out, but notable. Good to know all the Rule 34 is canon.


My favourite episodes were the Avatar Wan arc. I loved the art style they used, and it was neat to get all that backstory.
Favourite characters were Asami and Iroh (very happy that they found an excuse to include him). And Varrick was pretty hilarious.


I agree, that I'd love to see the creators do something less Nickelodeon.
User avatar
Ddraigeneth
 
Posts: 5475
Joined: June 26th, 2010, 12:06 pm
Location: 6 inches to the right

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby simplykit19 » December 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

i like this show

animation is solid and smooth
User avatar
simplykit19
 
Posts: 30
Joined: December 14th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Previous

Return to TV & Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests