Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender + The Legend of Korra

Postby gun21 » August 22nd, 2014, 10:53 pm

Season 3 ended, the whole thing kind of came and went pretty quickly because they kept airing two episodes per week, and switched to online only. It's gotten far less attention, which is a shame, since this was probably the best the show has been since the final season of Last Airbender, and I say that confidently without exaggerating.

Spoiler! :
Both Korra and Mako were kind of pushed to the side for this entire season, and it was pretty nice to give the spotlight to other characters. Eventually Korra got a big final fight in the finale, but the other characters were not absent. I liked that Korra was actually a great character this season, and not some loud stupid idiot who wanted to smash things. Season 2 came across as kind of a repeat in this respect. It made sense she was foolhardy, and temperate in season 1 when the show was just starting, but having her go through the same arc again was annoying. I'm actually really interested in seeing how her character will be handled in season 4, now that she's been so physically, and emotionally damaged from her fight with Zaheer.

Zaheer was simultaneously the least developed antagonist the show has had, and also one of it's best. I liked that he was a true blue fanatic with no ulterior motive. He believed himself to be fighting for an altruistic cause, and never for himself. It's the kind of thing they tried previously with Amon (until it turned out he was a liar) and later with Unaloq (until it turned out he wanted to become the super mega ultra evil avatar) I found that Amon was more entertaining in season 1 (IMO he's the best antagonist the show has had,) but Zaheer is definetly up there, above Unaloq, and even Fire Lord Ozai.

All of the side characters were developed a lot this season. Korra spent most of the entire season hanging out with Asami and it kind of cemented that those two are best friends. Bumi became an airbender, and started relating more with Tenzin, and admitted that he never felt connected with Aang before. Tenzin finally got to see his dream of rebuilding the Air Nation take it's first major step. We got to meet Lin Bei Fong's sister, and glimpse into what happened with Toph in her adult life, and how her family kind of split apart. Bolin is kind of crushing on Toph's grand daughter. He and Mako reconnected with their extended family in Ba Sing Sei. Jinorra got the most development, developing a crush on Kai, asserting her independence from Tenzin, and in the end shaved her head, got her tats and became an air-bending master. Zuko was there for 10 minutes before peacing the fuck out.

There was also a real focus on all of the sub-bending forms which was really neat. There was an entire village of Metal Benders, Jinorra's astral projection thing is supposedly an Air Bending sub-form, Bolin turned out to be a Lava Bender, Zaheer mastered the ancient air bending art of flying, and there was even a awesome moment where Mako shot lightning which was sweet (the entire season had a ton of amazing fighting scenes.)

So yeah. Go watch Legend of Korra season 3. It's what people wanted the show to be in the beginning.
gun21

Postby diceknight » August 23rd, 2014, 6:31 pm

My favorite season by a huge margin. Unlike Seasons 1 and 2, when it ended I said "I can't wait to see what happens next season!" instead of "Well, I hope the next season is better."

Seriously, so many great things this season, and holy cow were the final two episodes great.

Spoiler! :
Shipping Korra/Asami super hard right now.

Do not fuck with the Bei Fong women. Just don't. It won't end well for you at all.

The fact that the true hero moment came not from Korra, but from the new clan of Airbenders was brilliant. And their plan at the end to return to being nomads makes me feel they're truly a part of this world again.
diceknight

Postby phoenixgem » August 30th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Just binge watched seasons 2 and 3 and I absolutely love season 3, definitely restored my faith in the show. Season 2 just annoyed me, and I'll leave it at that.

I think the only thing I didn't like with season 3 was
Spoiler! :
The people gaining air bending was never explained. I would understand if people gained all kinds of bending as a result of the spirit world opening, but why just air bending? That and how easy it was for Zaheer to master air bending.

What I really liked and what brought the show back for me:
Spoiler! :
-I thought severing the avatar link would make me hate the show a little, as before seaon 3, the only things I liked about LOK was things that linked back to previous avatars, and i didn't want this to be a korra thinking that this was a good thing and that she can do this on her own but it really worked out, with korra grieving about the loss of the connection, but still finding help in the right places.
- Since Toph's death was never confirmed I'm hoping that means we'll see her next season
- We got to see the Beifongs life. It was good to know that all the Beifongs are capable people, I half expected Suyin to be a spoilt rich character that didn't fight, finding that she was actually a criminal and a great metal bending was cool.
- All of the Red lotus gang. Just all of them. I liked how they didn't really want power,that wasn't the main goal. I aslo liked how they were probably the most human out of all the villains we've had, probably because they weren't overbearingly power hungry, greedy or manipulative.
-Speaking of red lotus, I didn't actually notice that ming hau was armless until the later episodes awesome how she's still a master water bender.
-Return of zuko, also implied that well meet his daughter the fire lord.
-The final boss fight, I was pretty detached from season 1 and 2s boss fights as Korra getting air bending and Jinorra's involvement in season 2 made no sense to me (I get she found the light, but how?)
- The expansion into sub bending. The lava bending, metal bending and bringing back the lie detector aspect of earth bending.
-Seeing the dark side of air bending. We've seen the darkside of all other bending so it was about time really.
-Bolin lava bending. I'm glad when they said he couldn't metal bend, that they stuck with that.
-Mako and Bolin meeting there family, in the first season they had more of a brotherly connection until romance happened. I'm glad they went back to that.
-There was no direct manipulation of Korra, or really anyone this season. Korra wasn't being used for anything and there was no do X for me to save Y specifically at the cost of the greater good. Like there was no Jinorra gives up the location of the rest of the air benders to save Kai kind of thing. Everyone was on the same page.
-Korra being physical and emotionally affected by the final battle, and the air benders stepping in fore her.
-Korra and Asami being bffs now, and never mentioning their relationship with Mako except breifly. None of them are hung up on him, there's no jealousy or stepping over each other to get him back.
-Jinorra being shaved and tattooed. I hope she remains shaved, she reminds me of Aang

and most importantly
Spoiler! :
Romance was not a major plot point in this season. No relationship fights and issues. Though its slightly annoying how quickly they paired off Kai and Opal to main characters, they could have really just been friends and everything they did would still work, but eh the romance was cute rather than annoying.
That being said I liked the romance between combustion lady and Zaheer
Snuffan wrote:Hai hai fuenixugemmu!!!! Ponponpon ga totemo suki desu!!! kya >u<, kawaii desu!
phoenixgem

Postby gun21 » August 30th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Toph was confirmed to be alive. It was said that she left the Metal Clan to wander the world and find true enlightenment.

That and how easy it was for Zaheer to master air bending.

Spoiler! :
Actually I saw an interview with the creators about this. They explain that Zaheer was already a master martial artist before gaining airbending, which they tried to convey with their character design.

He has Cauliflower Ear, a common affliction found in fighters who have the cartilidge in their ear broken, causing it to expand. He also seems to have studied airbending culture extensively, specifically the Airbending Master Guru Laheem, who was the only Airbender who could fly, like Zaheer did in the finale.
gun21

Postby Randumbz » August 30th, 2014, 9:44 pm

When they stopped airing episodes on tv and made it a digital only show, I lost all interest in it.
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Rehab Bunny » August 31st, 2014, 9:33 am

The ending of this season had too many feels. .____.
Haven't felt like that since the original TLA ended. Ugh. It was great, and I'm almost nervous for the next season, because I don't know what to expect after a finale like that.
Rehab Bunny

Postby gun21 » September 15th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Looks like Book 4 is going to be coming up pretty fast. I've read it's going to be premiering on Oct 3. It's going to be the final season, and the creators have stated that after this they have no intentions of revisiting the franchise with a third Avatar series. So this is pretty much it.

Also Korra's getting a nice haircut

gun21

Postby diceknight » September 26th, 2014, 2:00 pm

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/korra-b ... &xid=lokfb Book 4 trailer is up!

Spoiler! :
GUNDAM ZHU-LI.
diceknight

Postby gun21 » September 27th, 2014, 1:26 am

Which can only mean one thing

Spoiler! :

It will happen. Mark my words, you will see Varrick wearing an Iron Man suit.

But the big thing in the trailer is Toph being confirmed. The big conflict looks to be with the Metal Clan, who I assume are stepping up to take control of the Earth Kingdom after Zaheer killed the Earth Queen at the end of Season 3. The time skip is also pretty cool. Tenzins kids look older, and Jinorra has that Avatar Yang Chen look. The Air nation has those cool suits with wings attached beneath their arms. A glimpse at Zuko's daughter, who's the current Fire Lord. That Kuvira chick looks like the bad guy, but who knows?
gun21

Postby gun21 » October 18th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Korra's greatest character is Grandma Toph.

gun21

Postby Randumbz » October 18th, 2014, 10:48 pm

gun21 wrote:Korra's greatest character is Grandma Toph.

Why is she still wearing the same clothes she had when she was a kid?
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby Merone » October 20th, 2014, 11:58 am

Randumbz wrote:
gun21 wrote:Korra's greatest character is Grandma Toph.

Why is she still wearing the same clothes she had when she was a kid?

She never grew up- both physically and as a character (which I don't mind at all! :P )
Merone

Postby diceknight » November 4th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Canon.
diceknight

Postby diceknight » November 14th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Spoiler! :
Dat blush.

This stupid show makes me ship Korrasami even more than I shipped House and Wilson.
diceknight

Postby ChrisH » November 17th, 2014, 11:55 am

I'm not gonna read much of this thread because I don't want alot spoiled but I'm gonna ask do I need to know extensive lore to The Last Airbender if I want to start the Legend of Korra? I know the basic plot points because I watched it years ago but I forgot alot aswell.
ChrisH

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Movies