Assassin's Creed

Re: Assassin's Creed

Postby Piano-kun » November 22nd, 2012, 1:18 am

My favorite games were ACII and Brotherhood. Revelations fell pretty flat for me (which I still don't understand because the trailer was soooo well done!) and ACIII...well, man. So many great people and moments in United States History that weren't given the recognition or spotlight they deserved. There were a lot of loose ends too (There were a lot of things about Achilles I wanted to learn about). Also, what gives with the final scene? In ACI, the game ends with an epic showdown against Al Mualim, the Master of the Assassins. In ACII, you get to fight against Rodrigo Borgia aka the freakin' Pope! In ACIII?
Spoiler! :
You chase Charles Lee around for 30 seconds, only never to get the sweet satisfaction of killing him. No. We get a cutscene where Charles Lee offers Connor a drink and Connor stabs him. They don't even try to have some kind of brief summation of how much blood was spilled at both their hands. Nope. We just sit and watch.

I also found myself disliking Connor especially near the end. I definitely liked Haytham.
Spoiler! :
Despite being a Templar. AND THEN HE DIED. I was sad.

The gameplay in ACIII is great (Naval battles FTW), but...ugh, so many missed things. Even the sidequests that had some build up weren't even that engaging. The Headless Horseman? "No...he is just a man." The Ghost Ship? Oh. Treasure hidden in a block of ice. I know it's silly to ask for supernatural elements in this game, but Connor was flippin' given a mystical pseudo-Apple that granted him the power to speak with the Ancients for crying out loud.

Okay, I'm going to stop. Overall, I thought ACIII was decent, although I'm really disappointed with it. It really can't hold a candle to ACII.

I guess you can always play bocceball with George Washington. Yes, that's right.
Piano-kun

Postby eishiya » November 22nd, 2012, 10:48 am

I'm only on sequence 6, and... well, part of that is because the game so far feels like a chore. I just have no desire to play it beyond exploring the frontier and because I want to finish the damn thing.

I love most of the gameplay improvements (though the "simplified" combat confuses me and I wish tree-jumping could take you farther than it does), but it feels like Connor is just getting tossed around by the needs of far more interesting/driven characters, like he's an observer rather than a doer. In a game series all about (secret) doers.

The modern day sequences (what few of them I've experienced so far) are great! I was surprised by how interesting Desmond and William's interactions are, and the one mission I've played so far was fun, as is exploring the... Precursor room thing. But dammit Juno why must you leave me on a cliffhanger ;_;
eishiya

Postby RyoSoulreaper » November 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm

eishiya wrote:The modern day sequences (what few of them I've experienced so far) are great! I was surprised by how interesting Desmond and William's interactions are, and the one mission I've played so far was fun, as is exploring the... Precursor room thing. But dammit Juno why must you leave me on a cliffhanger ;_;

The others are awesome as hell. Just Desmond was cool in this game.

Also ACIII was like....ok I liked the gameplay but like eishiya said, I had like almost no desire to do anything outside the frontier.

Hunting was cool and the changing seasons between sequences was cool.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby eishiya » November 23rd, 2012, 2:27 pm

The "simplified" controls are really getting on my nerves. You'd think I'd "get used" to them 10 sequences in, but I just hate them more and more with every mission I do. It started out as "okay, this is a little confusing but I'll get used to it", went to "Connor, please grab that ledge--oh okay RIP" and presently its "GDI Connor stop climbing shit that's not even in the way I'm headed!"
And although I've got the hang of the combat controls and can use them fairly effectively, I still prefer the old style. I guess I'm just not fond of all this context-dependency, I guess. My E button needs a rest!

...but seriously, why did they remove an entire style of running (non-freerun running), and the ability to grab ledges as you fall?

And while I'm on the topic of navigation: I really hope it's just a temporary bug that some roofs aren't climbable from certain sides e_e

After I finish this game, I am so going to just relax in ACR and AC2. I wish all that whining was all I had to say about the bugs and control improvements in this game.

Edit: Oh, control schemes, bugs, and the fact that I don't give a crap about Connor aside, I really like the locations, weather, animals, ships, etc. It's just that talking about the good things isn't fun!
But I still just want to get this game over with.

Edit2: Beat it! What was with that ending?
Spoiler! :
I guess the subsequent AC games will be about them stopping Juno? Go back to really random ancestors (I'm sure they'll make an ancient Egypt thing eventually!) to find more Pieces of Even in an attempt to stop... whatever she's doing.
eishiya

Postby eishiya » February 19th, 2013, 8:44 pm

How in the world have there been no posts since my last whine?

Anyway! HOLY CRAP, the DLC is even more unfun than the main game! I hardly ever ragequit things for reasons other than losing hours of progress due to save issues, but I QUIT. I don't think I've ever ragequit something after only half an hour of playing before! I wish I could get my season pass money back ;_;
I wanted to kick some bluecoat butt, instead I find myself spending more time reloading the second mission than actually playing. That is not what games are supposed to be like.
eishiya

Postby Piano-kun » March 2nd, 2013, 8:21 pm

eishiya wrote:How in the world have there been no posts since my last whine?

Anyway! HOLY CRAP, the DLC is even more unfun than the main game! I hardly ever ragequit things for reasons other than losing hours of progress due to save issues, but I QUIT. I don't think I've ever ragequit something after only half an hour of playing before! I wish I could get my season pass money back ;_;
I wanted to kick some bluecoat butt, instead I find myself spending more time reloading the second mission than actually playing. That is not what games are supposed to be like.

There might be hope for us, eishiya:

Article:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393640/assassins-creed-4-is-official-details-coming-monday/
Wait...1715? We're going...backwards? Well, okay. I mean, I can't argue because I *did* like ACIII's sailing missions. Now we get those...AND PIRATES!
Piano-kun

Postby eishiya » March 2nd, 2013, 9:10 pm

I'm glad we're going backwards.

I'm honestly not very excited for Black Flag though, not after AC3. I'm looking forward to seeing naval warfare return, but I hope that it doesn't become too big a part of the game. I want the focus to remain on stealth assassinations and the occasional combat, not cannonades. I feel like the increasing importance of firearms in AC is working against the stealth aspect, too. The step back isn't likely to fix that, since it's only to 1715.

Story-wise, it would be interesting to get some hints to why Haytham jumped ship (pun intended), though. I'm also curious to see how they'll tie this into the Juno plot.

I like the character design for the new assassin, though. It isn't exactly reasonable, but it's nice to look at. And hey, light-coloured hair!
eishiya

Postby gun21 » March 5th, 2013, 4:09 pm

eishiya wrote:I feel like the increasing importance of firearms in AC is working against the stealth aspect, too. The step back isn't likely to fix that, since it's only to 1715.

I didn't even realize that stealth was even a factor in AC anymore, not since Brotherhood at least, which frankly I don't mind.
gun21

Postby eishiya » March 5th, 2013, 6:19 pm

gun21 wrote:
eishiya wrote:I feel like the increasing importance of firearms in AC is working against the stealth aspect, too. The step back isn't likely to fix that, since it's only to 1715.

I didn't even realize that stealth was even a factor in AC anymore, not since Brotherhood at least, which frankly I don't mind.

I sneaked my way through Revelations xP I associate "assassin" with stealth, so I guess as long as the games are called "Assassin's Creed", I'll keep expecting stealth, even if they turn into naval games or something. In AC3 stealth felt more like the thing you can (sometimes) do when you get tired of shooting and impaling people, rather the point of the game. That's not a bad thing at all, but I like having the option of being able to sneak through the majority of a game that's about assassins. I'm just afraid that that option is being taken away more and more with each game starting with ACR.

So how about that trailer? I really liked it. It's mainly just a monologue about how awesome Edward(?) is, which is really easy to do terribly, but the trailer is one of the few examples of it done well, I think.
Also, sabres. Sabres everywhere. And pistols everywhere too, but the sabres give me hope. If the fighting style in this game is closer to ACR's, I will be very happy.
I also like the face on the new assassin. It has a lot more character to it than Connor's (which sort of makes sense plot-wise, but Connor didn't get interesting even after years of assassinatin'), hopefully the writing will match.
eishiya

Postby gun21 » March 6th, 2013, 6:31 pm

I think Connor suffers from having to follow up Ezio, who's probably one of the greatest defined characters in modern gaming.
gun21

Postby yannerd » June 14th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Yay, fellow assassins~ c:

Anyone watched the gameplay trailer for AC4 yet? I was floored by the totally seamless move from land into naval battles. But I'm still deciding if I completely like Edward as the protagonist yet... Or all of his crazy add-ons. (4 guns, really, Ubisoft!?)

I kinda miss the simplicity of the first AC game, haha.
yannerd

Postby eishiya » June 15th, 2013, 7:52 am

It looks awesome! It looks like all the things they wanted to do for AC3 but didn't quite manage.

I'm okay with Edward. He hasn't shown himself to be very interesting yet, with the story trailers focusing more on "omg pirates and exploration!" than on him as a person, but there's room there for a great character. ...then again, there was room in AC3 too :T And there was also Achilles.

The choices in gameplay do seem a little crazy, but it makes sense with the setting, and Ubisoft so far has displayed a habit of making it only look very flexible and big, when really it's all relatively simple, and largely out of your control. I doubt we'll get to do fancy gunplay with the four guns, they'll likely just reflect the way they were used at the time - a way to get more shots before having to reload. Whether he'll use one or two guns will also likely be situational, based on enemy position/distance, the last used weapon(s), just like the manner in which Connor used his weapons in AC3.
In terms of controls, I feel like AC2 was the most complex. Everything after that has been going more towards making things more interesting by letting the game make more of the decisions for you, which isn't a bad thing, especially now that the weapons are growing more varied.

I kind of miss the simplicity of AC1 as well, but at the same time, AC1 was so simple that it got very repetitive very quickly, even before the missions themselves started to get repetitive.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » June 15th, 2013, 8:07 am

The stealth stuff felt a bit underwhelming after seeing the new MGSV gameplay trailer, but the pirate stuff and naval battles looked awesome as all hell.
As long as it retains it's open-worldness and has cool towns and stuff inland to run around causing mischief in like the other games I'll definitely try picking it up at a reasonable price.
Seven Rain

Postby yannerd » June 16th, 2013, 1:05 pm

eishiya wrote:It looks awesome! It looks like all the things they wanted to do for AC3 but didn't quite manage...

I kind of miss the simplicity of AC1 as well, but at the same time, AC1 was so simple that it got very repetitive very quickly, even before the missions themselves started to get repetitive.

Yes, I agree. I feel like AC4 will be a more polished version of AC3, which will make for an incredible adventure story. I wish I could know Edward a little more, but they might leave us somewhat in the dark, kinda like they did with Connor. (I honestly thought Connor was going to be more like Altair based on the pre-release footage etc, but he turned out to be more of a kid, haha.)

And yeah, I have to agree about AC1. Maybe I just miss the stealth aspects of it, because the missions did get quite repetitive by the end.

Seven Rain wrote:As long as it retains it's open-worldness and has cool towns and stuff inland to run around causing mischief in like the other games I'll definitely try picking it up at a reasonable price.

Ubisoft has really been pushing the open-world aspects, so I'm really excited to see what they have in store. (Especially since open-world includes open-ocean. c: )
yannerd

Postby gun21 » June 23rd, 2013, 1:50 pm

So I finally finished III.

SO. BORING.

Did I miss the fun part of the game or something? Because I can't remember having any.
gun21

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games