Your definition of hardcore and casual?

Your definition of hardcore and casual?

Postby SushiGummy » November 30th, 2011, 1:38 am

Anyone who even pretends to like video games knows these words are abused more often than Mexican food. Many of the casual muggles I've spoken with in the past seem to describe a hardcore game as a game that's violent and a casual game as a game that's kid-friendly (unless they grew up with it).

Now, of course, this definition is stupid. But before I get into that, I'm very curious to know what all you Jeeves Smackers think. At what point does a game become hardcore or casual? When is a gamer considered hardcore? Do you ignore the existence of these terms altogether?
SushiGummy

Re: Your definition of hardcore and casual?

Postby EoTN » November 30th, 2011, 1:44 am

I consider hardcore to be a game where you have to REALLY play it to enjoy it. Casual to me is pick up and play, like angry birds. Still fun but less depth.
Formerly EskimoOfTheNight...Still better than your average ninja.
EoTN

Postby Vitotamito » November 30th, 2011, 2:13 am

When I think Casual Game, I think of word games, sudoku, or trivia. Things my mom would enjoy. Most Wii games I see as Casual.

When I think Hardcore Games, I think Modern Warfare, Halo, WoW, or any other game that requires you to drink Mountain Dew all the time and fucking GAME.

Everything else, I associate with the term Video Games.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Seven Rain » November 30th, 2011, 2:16 am

I don't remember any opinions I've stated on the matter in the past so forgive me if I contradict that right now, buuut... The way I see it gamers can be defined as either hardcore or casual sure, but I avoid using casual as a derogative term like oh so many gamers enjoy doing and also avoid the term hardcore because I find it a tad juvenile and pointless in general.
I guess my definitions would really just fall under "Hardcore" gamers being the type of people that pay attention to gaming news, play plenty of different games/consoles regularly, pre-order stuff, research things regarding games, master techniques and memorize mechanics, etc.
Whereas a "Casual" would be the kind of person that views Games as more of a toy or a time killer than a full-blown hobby. Someone who may play a party game every now and then or fiddle around with Wii Sports at a friend/relative's house without reading too much into it and such.
I guess the easier way of putting it is that it really comes down to how much you game. If you play enough games to call it a hobby, well you're hardcore in my book, though the term itself still comes off as juvenile to me.

As for games I care even less about what they qualify as. I suppose I'd describe a game as casual or hardcore based on which audience they're aimed at, but at the end of the day gamers are gamers and games are games. I don't think any less of people who aren't super gaming-savvy or play games all the time so long as they aren't the types to scoff at people that do consider gaming a big part of their lives. Likewise, you can categorize games all you want but it won't stop me from playing Dark Souls one minute and Mario Kart the next.
Last edited by Seven Rain on November 30th, 2011, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Postby FlamingDbag » November 30th, 2011, 2:16 am

Casual: Easy to jump into and learn, usually doesn't ever try to go over your head. Games most people can play.

Hardcore: For gamers who are devoted to learn the specific game's mechanics and ect. Harder to learn properly.
FlamingDbag

Postby trenton_dawn » November 30th, 2011, 2:26 am

I don't think that game content, time investment, or competitive environment really delineate between hardcore and casual. It's more of an attitude thing.

In my book, "casual" players are people who aren't really looking to get deeply into games. They just want to enjoy it for a while, maybe finish it if it's not too difficult, and that's it. A lot of times they get a bad rap because they have a tendency to not be very good, but that's fine with me. If video games aren't your thing, why should anyone force you to put effort into it? However I have disdain for players who constantly complain that games are too difficult because they aren't willing to really try.

"Hardcore" gamers are looking to get involved, to master the game. Regardless of what kind of game it is, they want to go all out at it. However there are a fair number of "hardcore players" who make a bad name because they trash talk at less skilled players and act like they know everything (regardless of whether their own skills are any good or not).
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby RyoSoulreaper » November 30th, 2011, 2:32 am

Hardcore: Games that have no or very little learning curve. They usually take time to be good at and induce "Ragequitters" frequently because they don't want to learn how to play. Most cases these games are NOT easy. Games this gen fall under here if it has online play or a deep plot with hard challenges.

Casual: Games with a Learning curve. Sometimes it goes too far but other times it just teaches you it all at first. Most that fall under this have basically no plot or a generic short one or at least ones that are in this generation of gaming. Casuals back in the PS1/N64/DC days had a "Learn-as-you-play" curve but where not that hard.

As for if I give a shit about the terms and which games or which, the answer?

Nope don't give a single fuck about them. What's fun is fun. Weather it's hardcore or casual mean nothing when I pick a game.

EDIT: I'm with Trenton on the Gamers thing.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby trenton_dawn » November 30th, 2011, 3:38 am

I don't think the terms have any meaning with regard to individual games. I've actually never seen them used as such (except that a game may appeal more to either "hardcore" or "casual" gamers). In those cases the qualities possessed by the game itself are depth, difficulty, plot, or learning curve...not "hardcore-ness" or whatever.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Flygonmaster » January 15th, 2012, 11:12 am

Hardcore: Those awesome, fast-paced, action-filled games that always leave you unable to sit back.
Casual: Meh, really anything that you can sit back and relax while playing.
Mr. Aids wrote:OH NO I'M TURNING GREEN! I'M GONNA HAVE TO BUY NEW CLOTHES AGAIN.
Flygonmaster

Return to Video Games