Recommendation thread

Recommendation thread

Postby FlamingDbag » December 23rd, 2011, 9:21 pm

...Like the failed review thread but probably better.

You post a game, you say why you like it/why it's good, talk about who the games aimed towards, ect.
I'll start with 3 easy ones.

Serious Sam: The First/Second Encounter, Serious Sam HD: TFE/TSE- PC, Xbox (as just Serious Sam), Xbox 360
These games are extremely straight forward. You run, and you shoot enemies in usually huge open fields. Simple as that. However, there's hundreds that run at you and you are going to be fighting 85% of the time. While you are shooting and running you need to also always check your back, so WHERE and HOW you run is very important in this game. Also the Kamikaze enemies explode by either running into you or you shooting them, that adds a strategic element because they can damage enemies. It's one of the most exhaustingly exhilarating shooting games you'll ever find, but since it's pretty much just running and shooting (while not trying to die) if you do long sessions it will get boring so don't force yourself to overplay it.
The HD versions are pretty much the same thing as the originals, except now it doesn't have splitscreen (which probably wouldn't get used anyway) and TSE HD has new modes, including survival mode.

Metal Gear Solid series- ALL Playstation consoles, Some are on Microsoft consoles, Two are on PC, all the main games except Portable ops are playable on the PS3 including Peace Walker
One of the most amazing series' ever. It's stealth action at its best, you are a lone soldier, it has an amazing (and extremely complicated) storyline with epic cinematic scenes, and from what I've played there's absolutely nothing like Metal Gear Solid. If you for some reason have NOT played the series, start with MGS on the PS1 and work your way up from the dates each game was released. Seriously you'll thank me for not telling you to skip ahead then go backwards because the storyline is best told in release order.

Team Fortress 2- Honeslty? Just PC. Forget the PS3 and 360 versions.
It's one of the most fun FPS games ever. It's my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time. It's FREE without any annoying free player limits (and to become premium FOREVER you only need to buy from the ingame store, which only buying a 50c hat will work). Just play it.
FlamingDbag

Re: Recommendation thread

Postby Seven Rain » December 23rd, 2011, 11:41 pm

Another great use for this thread would be for people specifically looking for a new game to try/buy/download, and can list off things they're interested in and stuff they're looking for in a new game, etc. so that others could give them some suggestions.
Seven Rain

Postby FlamingDbag » January 8th, 2012, 10:05 am

Like also gameplay style/genre labels? Overall difficulty labels? To the list?
I haven't replied since because I wasn't 100% sure what you meant. (and I just sort of forgot about this until now...)

I am EXTREMELY tempted to also add the Deus Ex series but I have yet to finish any of the games and I don't feel like I'd be doing it justice until I do so. But seriously HR has so far pretty much leading me towards being my fave game this generation and faces the complaints of no classics/good games exist this gen as complete lies. It does have its issues that ruin some of the immersion for me, and some problems could of completely been done without but they manage to stack up as minor and seriously I have not played anything this compelling in an extremely long time.
FlamingDbag

Postby Seven Rain » January 8th, 2012, 11:32 am

Well I just meant as easy as it is to gush over all the games we love, only certain people will be interested to begin with anyways.

An example of what I meant was something like this...
Person A wrote:So I really enjoyed Devil May Cry 4. The over-the-top action and characters were fun, and I loved the different weapons to unlock, etc.
Anyone got any games similar to DMC4 to suggest?

Person B wrote:Try Bayonetta. It's got so many similarities to DMC it's crazy, and was directed by the same man as the original DMC. Bayonetta herself also bears striking similarities to Dante, personality-wise, and there are weapons to unlock and crazy bosses and blah blah blah, etc.

Either way it doesn't seem like people are really interested in this thread anyway. It's too bad. :C
Seven Rain

Return to Video Games