Obscure games you wish more people played

Obscure games you wish more people played

Postby tveye » January 3rd, 2012, 6:32 pm

I think it'd be cool to talk about the games you remember playing (or still do) that when brought up in conversation (even among the most schooled of gamers) elicits a confused "Wha...?"

Back when I was a kid, Sony used to do this thing where they'd send out a Playstation bus across the country. Inside were televisions and stuff set up with all sorts of games to play. Sometimes they'd park in a famous location (this one was at Mall of America when I lived in Minnesota) and they do a trivia game where if answered correctly, you'd get a prize. Since I was a kid, they just asked me what my favorite game was and if I answered any Playstation game, I'd win (I answered with Crash Bandicoot for anyone who was curious).

Among Playstation memorabilia, I was given a Tomba 2 demo which I played ceremoniously. Because of this, I made it a life goal to play the first one (and eventually the entirety of the second) but I couldn't ever find it anywhere. Years later I discovered that few were made and it had become a collector's item, selling for over a hundred dollars to this day.

I did play it though, but this was after I hacked my PSP to play PSOne ISO's. It was amazing. Still is; it's one of the few games I'll replay over and over again. It's no surprise that the creator went on to help start Platinum games.

I also managed to play a translated version of Policenauts on my PSP. This was also a really enjoyable "game" (though, it was more of a visual novel).

Any other games out there you guys think deserve more spotlight?
tveye

Re: Obscure games you wish more people played

Postby RyoSoulreaper » January 3rd, 2012, 6:35 pm

The early Digimon World Games. Like world 2 and 3.

Yeah sure they are hardcore grindfests but rewarding none the less.

Also Silhouette Mirage. It's a fun little action game with a good soundtrack.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby Pie God » January 3rd, 2012, 6:44 pm

Did I already post in a topic just like this but

FREELANCER :<
Pie God

Postby Pizzaman_Colors » January 3rd, 2012, 6:59 pm

ET for the atari.

BECAUSE I WANT EEEVVVVEEERRRYYYOOONNNEEE TO KNOW ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS.
Spoiler! :
trollface
Pizzaman_Colors

Postby robybang » January 3rd, 2012, 7:03 pm

Spider-Man: The Sinister Six for DOS. Because I'm trying to figure out how to run the game on DOSBox and there's almost no documentation online.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby tveye » January 3rd, 2012, 7:30 pm

robybang wrote:Spider-Man: The Sinister Six for DOS. Because I'm trying to figure out how to run the game on DOSBox and there's almost no documentation online.

Ooh, that reminds me of the Neversoft Spider-Man game for the N64 and PSOne. I played the hell out of that game on BOTH systems...and the What If Mode was hilarious XD
tveye

Postby The Bearded Man » January 3rd, 2012, 8:14 pm

WET for 360 & PS3. I enjoyed from beginning to end. It had its own badass feel! Look it up and you'll see what I mean. The action was great.
The Bearded Man

Postby Nigz » January 3rd, 2012, 8:41 pm

Yoshi on NES its such a fun puzzle game!
Nigz

Postby SilverHyena » January 3rd, 2012, 8:44 pm

Steambot Chronicles (PS2) <-- The best random buy I ever made! The graphics aren't all that great, but OMG! It's fun... I just wish that the second one hadn't been officially canceled. :(

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PSP) <-- One of the best RPGs I have ever played. The characters are amazing.
SilverHyena

Postby tveye » January 3rd, 2012, 9:08 pm

Ooh! Legend of Legaia was also a decent PSOne RPG. It was completely eclipsed by Final Fantasy, though. It's fighting system was incredibly fun.
tveye

Postby green haired fae » January 3rd, 2012, 9:45 pm

Myst, Riven, and Exile are so pretty especially compared to some failed 3D games nowadays.

"When I was alive / I was dust which was, / But now I am dust in dust / I am dust which never was."-1001 Nights
green haired fae

Postby Seven Rain » January 3rd, 2012, 9:58 pm

Like 90% of my favorite games.

I can't go into serious detail at the moment since I'm typing this from my PS3 browser.
Seven Rain

Postby redandblack64 » January 4th, 2012, 12:24 am

After playing through Chrono Trigger DS, one of the brand new endings was a sequel hook to Chrono Cross, a PSOne game that's expected to get a 3DS or Vita remake. I got curious, looked it up on Youtube and wikipedia after clearing out every possible thing in Trigger DS, and BADLY wanted it after seeing the opening and hearning about it's more ethnic musical style, different take on the themes of Trigger, and it's art style shift, as well as the "save Schala" plot thread being the focus of the game.

Anyways, I went into the local Microcenter a few months after finishing CTDS, and found that they STILL sold new, unopened PSOne games, and they happened to have Chrono Cross for 17 bucks (And Final Fantasy 9, too!). I got that, pulled out the PSOne, and fell in love with the game.

The other recent game I got that seems obscure is Monster Tale on DS. It's an mix of Metroid, Megaman X and Pokemon. The combat was extremely satisfying, and the Monster raising added a nice spice to things. It's just too short, too easy, and could be better designed and paced.
redandblack64

Postby tveye » January 4th, 2012, 12:34 am

redandblack64 wrote:Anyways, I went into the local Microcenter a few months after finishing CTDS, and found that they STILL sold new, unopened PSOne games, and they happened to have Chrono Cross for 17 bucks (And Final Fantasy 9, too!)

Oh man...I am jealous. I tried playing Chrono Cross on my PSP, but the game would consistently freeze after beating the first boss.
tveye

Postby Froken Keke » January 4th, 2012, 1:35 am

Most games in the Mega Drive library, it seems most people only know about Super Nintendo. More people need to play games like Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco: The Tides of Time, Dynamite Headdy and the likes.

Then there are the Enix developed games for Super Nintendo. It seems most people only look at the Square games, and while they may be the better ones, the Enix games were still very good. My favorites were Terranigma and E.V.O.: The Search for Eden, which are rarely, if ever, talked about.
It's actually Fröken Keke, there's a difference.
Froken Keke

Next

Return to Video Games