Obscure games you wish more people played

Re: Obscure games you wish more people played

Postby Mundius » September 28th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Randumbz wrote:Tales of symphonia was pretty decent

I'm sorry, but I think you forgot the meaning of obscure. ToS is one of the more well-known Tales of games.

Should probably mention this- if you can find a highly detailed Wikipedia page for your game, it's most likely NOT OBSCURE.
Mundius

Postby Seven Rain » September 28th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Mundius wrote:Should probably mention this- if you can find a highly detailed Wikipedia page for your game, it's most likely NOT OBSCURE.

I can contest this.

*EDIT*
Sorry if I took that too literally, by the way. Just sayin', you'd be surprised.
Seven Rain

Postby Mundius » September 28th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Mundius wrote:Should probably mention this- if you can find a highly detailed Wikipedia page for your game, it's most likely NOT OBSCURE.

I can contest this.

If I understand the word contest right, then note that I said "most likely". It doesn't mean that it definitely isn't obscure, I've seen obscure games with huge Wikipedia pages. You linked to one. But there are some sorta obscure (gaiden game of a decently-known series that was released in only one region) games, like Klaymen Gun-Hockey, which don't even have pages.

This is what I consider as average to a mostly unknown game, but with a bit less content. I state for the record and archives that there are variations on page size and this shouldn't be used to test for obscurity.
Mundius

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Picked up Boktai 2 again today. It's a beautiful GBA game, but it's easy to understand why almost nobody played it.
The freakin' sensor. The GBA cartdrige has this tiny solar sensor embedded, and you need to use it to play the game. The sun recharges your energy points, needed for using certain spells and weapons.
Light is also necessary to kill the vampire bosses. You slap them in a coffin and burn them, using giant mirrors and sun energy. It's a really cool concept, but forces you to play outside. This can be a pain if it's winter, or you simply live in a not-so-sunny place.
Aside from this, the game is a beautiful action rpg with heavy puzzle elements. The graphic is isometric, and it's one of the best I ever seen on a gameboy advance. Take a look!
The game also has multiplayer, but being so obscure I never found anybody to play with. So sad.

You can play it on an emulator/flashcard; there's a patch that let you control the sun level, thus making the game less annoying. Give it a try!

Postby Mundius » September 28th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Talesdreamer, the original GBA has such light problems that you'll need to use a dozen lamps to see the screen. That should charge up sun in five seconds and burn your crotch in 3. But that is a truly interesting game, if I can get myself a copy, I'ma keeping it.
Mundius

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2012, 8:54 am

Mundius wrote:Talesdreamer, the original GBA has such light problems that you'll need to use a dozen lamps to see the screen. That should charge up sun in five seconds and burn your crotch in 3.

I always played outside with my GBA and I didn't have problems seeing the screen... I had more problems playing Boktai on a SP; I had to hold it away from me or my shadow would cover the solar sensor XD pretty complicated game to play, yeah, but after your first playtrought you acquire some nice items for creating fake sunlight, so you can play without any worries.
In the sequel/reboot/whateveritis for the DS, called Lunar Knights, the solar sensor is optional. This resolves everything, but the game itself is kinda lame compared to the original Boktai series.

Speaking of more unknown games, another one I fondly remember is Jurassic War, a game so obscure it's neither on wikipedia nor on gamefaqs.
Think of Age of Empires, but with dinosaurs. Badass dinosaurs. And mammoths. And strange dwarfs who can cast magic for no fucking reason at all.
The cool thing is, all your units can have equip, stats, and level up. You're the one who decides which stats you want to raise. So you pick your average caveman, make him hunt hundreds of wolves, and he becomes a warmachine. His sprites even becomes all brawny when he starts to be really strong! Sadly, the opponents' AI is pretty bad, so the best strategy is almost always 'make a shittons of dinosaurs and destroy everything'.
It's abandonware, and you can download it here. You'll need dosbox.

Postby flyingtoast » January 28th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Did I already mention Drawn to Life: the Next Chapter?
flyingtoast

Postby Hunterkirizaki » January 30th, 2013, 8:16 am

Trapt

I already posted about this one before, but still.

Also, anybody know about Culdcept?
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby Savoto » January 30th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I wish more people played Startopia, Mister Mosquito, and Cubivore.

Startopia more because the company went bankrupt so no chance of a sequal/spin-offs. So while it was still around I could have played against other people. I wish I had somebody to rage about the last levels of Mister Mosquito with and Cubivore...I searched so many game stores when I first heard of it but, alas, I never found it. If I found somebody with it I would crash at there house and play it 24/7.

Forget life, I just want Cubivore.
Savoto

Postby Seven Rain » January 30th, 2013, 4:28 pm

I've wanted to play Cubivore ever since discovering that it even had a US release, but now it's so rare and expensive I'd sooner get a GC emulator running and play it on my computer.
Seven Rain

Postby Mundius » February 2nd, 2013, 11:26 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I've wanted to play Cubivore ever since discovering that it even had a US release, but now it's so rare and expensive I'd sooner get a GC emulator running and play it on my computer.

Dudedudedudedudedudedudedude.

That is not expensive for a really rare title. I have a game that's worth 3 digits by itself, no problem and it's complete. The reason why? No emulator can emulate it perfectly, so go buy Cubivore before the prices skyrocket. Because they will. I collect games. GameCube is starting to rise.
Mundius

Postby Seven Rain » February 2nd, 2013, 11:56 pm

Mundius wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I've wanted to play Cubivore ever since discovering that it even had a US release, but now it's so rare and expensive I'd sooner get a GC emulator running and play it on my computer.

Dudedudedudedudedudedudedude.

That is not expensive for a really rare title. I have a game that's worth 3 digits by itself, no problem and it's complete. The reason why? No emulator can emulate it perfectly, so go buy Cubivore before the prices skyrocket. Because they will. I collect games. GameCube is starting to rise.

Ehhh, I hate to say it, but...
At those prices I can already live without it. Even if I did have an income and wasn't just coasting on odd jobs/chores money and owes I wouldn't go that far for it. Plus there's always the very slim chance that Nintendo could release it on the Wii U's VC.

Spoiler! :
Although your post did peak my curiosity and make me look up Gotcha Force on Amazon. I don't remember what it was last time I checked, but I'm glad I have it sitting on my shelf right now because that shit's going for 150 bones on Amazon. And the used copies are even more expensive than Cubivore's used copies.
Seven Rain

Postby megafonzie » February 3rd, 2013, 2:49 am

One that I guess isn't that obscure is Hotline Miami, but as far as I know it doesn't have its own thread and hasn't been mentioned here. Seriously a great game and worth playing. Plus, the soundtrack is da bomb.
megafonzie

Postby Seven Rain » February 3rd, 2013, 11:43 am

megafonzie wrote:One that I guess isn't that obscure is Hotline Miami, but as far as I know it doesn't have its own thread and hasn't been mentioned here. Seriously a great game and worth playing. Plus, the soundtrack is da bomb.

I've been wanting to get it but I have to be so careful with my money and I'm so focused on certain game priorities that I haven't been able to pick it up yet. One of these days I definitely want it, though.
Seven Rain

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » February 8th, 2013, 5:15 pm

hm when I was smaller my parents would pick up some random games they think I'd like, and none of them were really big titles xD

So like, I love love love a game called Dark Cloud, some people know of it but most of them I met online and I've only met one person in RL who'd ever played it, and we had a fangirl moment when we made the discovery xD

There was a second dark cloud, and while the feel or the art wasn't the same the mechanics were greatly improved, but it didn't sell well, so there was never another. I think Dark Cloud was the first big game released by Level 5 n'stuff. it was cool.

And then there was an RPG I liked called Radiata Stories. That was a cool game. Interesting fighting system. I've never met anyone that played that.

Those are the only two big ones that come to mind. I want a Dark cloud Three to be made SO MUCH
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games