Unusual Games

Unusual Games

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » January 13th, 2012, 5:59 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some game reccomendations. Lately I've been getting into showing my sis more unusual games- Not just standard run around and kill people and such. I'm talking about games that try and do something different ... Whether they succeed much in their execution doesn't matter too much. I really like seeing a game try to step outside of the norm.

I'm talking about games where there isn't really much action or grinding or such, but are more focused on the story, being different, not afraid to break the mold, attempting to change gaming altogether. Games with big ideas about themselves. Particularly ones that are slightly older now. If they're kinda crap that's great, because we enjoy a good laugh. The first ones I got were two from my past- Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy), which was a very interesting and really quite bad game that tried it's hardest to be just like a movie. The second we've just started is a kind of little known game (I think) called Shadow of Memories, which is a pretty bizarre game where you die at the start, but then have to travel around through time to try manipulate the past so in the future you can't be murdered. But after this one, I don't know what we'll play.

Can anyone help me?
Last edited by H0lyhandgrenade on January 13th, 2012, 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H0lyhandgrenade

Re: Unusual Games

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Seven Rain

Postby forgotten_cake » January 13th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Shadow of Memories sounds really interesting. o:

The first thing that comes to mind for me when you ask for an unusual, old game with unique gameplay is Yume Nikki.

Seven Rain wrote:<3

<3

Why do I really want to play that second one? It looks...amazing, somehow
forgotten_cake

Postby Seven Rain » January 13th, 2012, 6:32 pm

forgotten_cake wrote:Why do I really want to play that second one? It looks...amazing, somehow

You cannot deny the power of Katamari.
Seven Rain

Postby blankd » January 13th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Ghost Trick has some interesting stuff. Cubivore if you can get your hands on it is some kind of bizarro spore. dotFlow is a successor of sorts to Yume Nikki if you like it or like the style of it.

In general the indie game market is where you might want to look for more. If you don't mind, could you elaborate more on what you mean by "unusual games"?
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby forgotten_cake » January 13th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
forgotten_cake wrote:Why do I really want to play that second one? It looks...amazing, somehow

You cannot deny the power of Katamari.

I tried playing Katamari once and the controls really confused me for some reason. It just wouldn't do what I wanted it to. ;_;
I don't know, maybe I was just having a brain fart of some sort, haha. The king is pretty awesome.
forgotten_cake

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » January 13th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I've been meaning to play Katamari... While it sounds a good game though, I think it's more one I'd play on my own xD Same for Ghost Trick, really- Much as I wanna play it, ideally I'm looking for games someone can watch you play, so it wouldn't work too good being a DS game. I should've mentioned that. Thanks tho :>

Yume Nikkie sounds weird, I'll see if I can get my hands on that.

I just remembered another odd game (I know I'm the one asking for suggestions, but hell, maybe other people are interested). It's called The Path. It's all about Little Red Riding Hood, but... Really creepy. It's all about various Red's of different ages, all facing their inner demons, or their 'Wolves', and the consequences this brings. It's dark and unnerving, and doesn't play much like a normal game at all, and it's the kinda game you'll hate or really get into... It can be downloaded for pretty cheap.
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby redandblack64 » January 13th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Two games I can think of are Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Chrono Cross for the PSOne, and maybe Parasite Eve, though I haven't played the last one yet. Those all step out from the norm in various ways, that's for sure. You should be able to get those on the Playstation Network.
redandblack64

Postby RyoSoulreaper » January 13th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Any Oddworld game. They are all odd in a fun way.

Also Digimon World 1. It's like the sims with a Digimon and fighting.
Oh and try Monster Rancher. It's like a weird RPG simulation game.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby blankd » January 13th, 2012, 6:54 pm

redandblack64 wrote:Two games I can think of are Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Chrono Cross for the PSOne, and maybe Parasite Eve, though I haven't played the last one yet. Those all step out from the norm in various ways, that's for sure. You should be able to get those on the Playstation Network.

PE The 3rd Birthday is irredeemable in the story department and a pretty solid 3rd person shooter on the PSP.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » January 13th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Parasite Eve sounds good, I'll go for that.

I've played Abe's Oddessey and Exodus, loved them xD And Monster Rancher is one of my favourite games ever +w+!
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby Crystalbear » January 13th, 2012, 7:42 pm

H0lyhandgrenade wrote: And Monster Rancher is one of my favourite games ever +w+!

I love you. Do you know how rare it is to find MR fans?
Crystalbear

Postby FlamingDbag » January 13th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Toribash
It's a turn based physics fighting game, and a lot of the time weird stuff happens. Also a LOT of mod levels. A LOOOOT.
FlamingDbag

Postby Mr Aids » January 13th, 2012, 9:59 pm

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:Parasite Eve sounds good, I'll go for that.

Parasite Eve is amazing, I think both you and your sister would enjoy it.

Also a game I played recently on the DS called Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is really good, the story is one of the best I've seen in a while. There's some puzzle solving to do and multiple endings depending on your decisions in the game.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby xkrazydog » January 13th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill the Room are revolutionary in their own way.
xkrazydog

Next

Return to Video Games