Need Board Game Suggestions

Need Board Game Suggestions

Postby Tailsgod » February 27th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Hey I know this is the Video game section, but I didn't know where else to post this.

I've been wanting to buy a board game that I can play with a group of my friends
I want to play a game that
-can last several days but not as long lasting as a d&d esc game
-has a roleplaying element, such as truces and out of game discussions about what to do
-can be played in which players can work together, betray eachother, or just fight eachother
-and finally a game that is played best with about 4-8 players

I like war games, as well as scyfy and fantasy games.
I don't want a game that is too obsessing but would be fun to play once a week or so
my friends and I aren't too big into getting really into gaming but we all play board games, plus we hang enough for each of us to really have fun playing multiple day games, but not getting to obsessed into it
Tailsgod

Re: Need Board Game Suggestions

Postby Seven Rain » February 27th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Ever tried Heroscape? I'm not sure if it fulfills all of your requirements but it's pretty RPG-ish without the commitment of D&D.

Mage Knight is amazing if you can find a place that still sells them and you're willing to read through all of the rules.
Hell, if I could find them I'd still play Mage Knight with my friends. They not only had a fun battle system but they were collectible like Trading Cards, which was addicting. Unfortunately just like Xmods they disappeared before I had the income to really afford them. :C
Spoiler! :
Heroscape has the collectible factor as well, but they come in sets instead of random packs.
Seven Rain

Postby Tailsgod » February 27th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Not really into the collectable aspect though, I'm more into the whole, here are the pieces you have and go kinda thing
thanks though
Tailsgod

Postby robybang » February 27th, 2012, 10:06 pm

What about Risk? Admittedly, my board game knowledge is limited, but it meets most of your requirements. Maybe Axis and Allies too.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby Seven Rain » February 27th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Risk is cool but I'm not sure whether you could really fit in role playing... Then again I guess it depends on the type of role playing one is looking for. Free form imagination-based role playing could probably work with almost any board game. :P

Tailsgod wrote:Not really into the collectable aspect though, I'm more into the whole, here are the pieces you have and go kinda thing
thanks though

Well then you should still look into Heroscape. A Master Set comes with several teams to begin with, (In fact I remember the one I bought a long time ago coming with a few dozen different figs, which would probably form around 10 teams, but my memory is hazy,) the extra packs are just for adding onto it.
I believe it had a mixture of Fantasy and Sci-fi teams to boot. Give it a look sometime.
Spoiler! :
Terrain building is fun, too.

*EDIT*
I might be wrong about the few dozen figs. The Master Set Toys R Us has says 10. Maybe the original had more, Iunno. I just know it has a decent following here in Des Moines for some reason. Tournaments and sets/expansions are abundant at Jay's CD and Hobby, so if I can talk my friends into rolling with it I'll have a good source for Heroscape stuff.

Y'know it'd be pretty cool if we had a Table-Top RPG/Board Game central in this section as a sticky, even if they aren't video games. I don't know if simply changing this into one would work without spicing up the first post but maybe I could go ahead and make one sometime? I'd love to have a place to discuss this kind of stuff, because I'm growing increasingly interested in taking up Heroscape again myself, (or Mage Knight if I can find them.) That's assuming I can talk my friends into joining in of course.

*EDIT*
Huh... Apparently Mage Knight got rebooted into a poor man's Heroscape... That's... that's actually kind of a bummer. I liked the style of the collectible figs with those little clickers. Now all that's left in that style seems to be Heroclix. D:
Last edited by Seven Rain on February 28th, 2012, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Postby RyoSoulreaper » February 27th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Well then you should still look into Heroscape. A Master Set comes with several teams to begin with, (In fact I remember the one I bought a long time ago coming with a few dozen different figs, which would probably form around 10 teams, but my memory is hazy,) the extra packs are just for adding onto it.
I believe it had a mixture of Fantasy and Sci-fi teams to boot. Give it a look sometime.
Spoiler! :
Terrain building is fun, too.

I love that game. I'm sad it was washed away in the flood.

Hours of fun. HOURS.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby UrbanMysticDee » February 27th, 2012, 11:17 pm

robybang wrote:What about Risk? Admittedly, my board game knowledge is limited, but it meets most of your requirements. Maybe Axis and Allies too.

Yeah, RISK manages to take something as exciting as world domination and make it a boring, all afternoon affair. You play as continents! You cross the oceans on lines, there's no official way to form alliances. There's just so much wrong with the game that I was inspired to create my own global combat game in the early 2000s. Extensive research and testing of everything is ongoing and will probably never be completed.

Axis and Allies, the original at least,is only slightly better, but it's still long and boring and can easily turn into mindless back and forth. One player gathers a huge army and takes a space, then the other player gathers a huge army and takes it back, and somewhere by the second or third hour all those fancy things like bombers or battleships are gone and replaced by subs, tanks, and infantry because they're all more efficient.

There have been updated versions of A&A, and I've read the rules at least of two (the 20th and 50th aniversary editions, which somehow came out four years apart!) cause games is expensive and I can't afford to buy something that's crap. I like a lot of what they changed, but the map seems to get more retarded with each addition. Iwo Jima is NOT North of Okinawa and it is not closer to Japan. Belarus is not North of Moscow. There's a whole lot of political stuff that's not taken into account (the pro-Nazi regimes in Iraq and Iran that were deposed early in the war, fascist Spain is a permanant neutral country yet it's possible to invade Greenland, which, to be fair, was occupied by the Americans during WWII, but the likelihood of Spain being a real part of the war was greater than Greenland. The Germans had their eyes on a mission to Afghanistan to sew the seeds of a rebellion in British India but Afghanistan is neutral too!), and neither is the issue of resources like oil that shaped a good portion of how the war was fought.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Seven Rain » February 28th, 2012, 8:50 pm

So Heroscape has been discontinued, Jay's sold the last of their Master Sets and the only ones I can find on Amazon are 80-180 bucks.
It's Xmods and Xevos all over again. WHY MUST SO MUCH COOL SHIT STOP EXISTING AS SOON AS I CAN AFFORD IT?
Here I thought Jay's was a treasure trove of Heroscape stuff but they've sold a bunch of it during the past year after it was discontinued.

*EDIT*
I can't believe I'm doing this... Just bought, (though for less than a hundred,) the first Master Set on eBay.
Guess I better get up to Jay's and snatch up any expansions and character packs they have before they're all gone.
Don't judge me.
Seven Rain

Return to Video Games