E3 Speculation and Discussion Thread!

Re: E3 Speculation and Discussion Thread!

Postby beldon123 » June 5th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I ended up doing recaps of the conferences for a friend on Facebook. May as well put 'em here too. 8D

MICROSOFT:
Halo 4 and the new Tomb Raider look awesome. They kinda dropped in impressiveness at the middle of the conference where they focused on sports games, new internet functions, and a new dance game. But they finished strong with Call of Duty Black Ops 2. As much as I don't care about CoD anymore, this still looked really cool.

Also, Resident Evil 6 and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. Hell yes.

Okay, RE6 was a bit odd, actualy. It looked freaking amazing, but it didn't really look like Resident Evil. Big explosions and cities on fire isn't exactly what I think of when I think Resident Evil. I think creepy mansions and jump scares.

Oh, and South Park: The Stick of Truth. Certainly looks great, and of course with Trey and Matt doing the writing, it should be exactly what a South Park game needs to be.

I feel I must make this comment on Microsoft's conference, though...

Microsoft: "With our new content, you can connect between your Xbox 360, tablet, and smart phone to watch TV and brouse the internet at any time, as well as share and buy music"
Me: "Why can't your game system just... play games?"

I mean, they showed some AWESOME games... but my point still stands. If I want to browse the internet, I'll use my computer. If I want to watch TV... I'll use my TV.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY VIDEOGAMES, ON YOUR V I D E O G A M E CONSOLE.

EA:
They started off strong with Dead Space 3, and kept going with two new Sims games and Battlefield 3, as well as new Star Wars: The Old Republic content. New Maden NFL, which I could not care less about, and new FIFA... yay, I guess? A new UFC game as well. Big whup. Need for Speed: Most Wanted was shown, and it was awesome, and the conference finished strong with a new Crisis game.

Not much to say on this one.

UBISOFT:
The hell with it, my feedback is this and this alone:
CG nipples. No comment.

Well, okay, the New Rayman game was orgamsicly awesome.

SONY:
Okay, I didn't bother to recap this one last night. >_>'' I remember it being pretty good, but nothing comes to mind at the moment when I try to think of something that stood out, so I guess it was just okay. Probably one or two standouts.

NINTENDO:
They started off with a bang, showcasing a bit more on the WiiU, as well as showing a game that everyone's been wanting; Pikmin 3.

Now, one thing I made a point of when I recapped the Microsoft press conference was the huge focus on conecting game consoles to other devices like iPads and phones. Near the begining, the speaker said one of my favorite parts of the show;

"It's all about the games."

Oh HELL yes.

Now, there were WAAAY to many games shown to recap them all, so I'll just list the ones I'm excited for:

-Pikmin 3
-New Super Mario Bros. U
-Scribblenauts Unlimited
-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-New Super Mario Bros. 2
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star
-Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
-Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
-ZombiU
-Nintendo Land

There were also a few "meh" games. The biggest being LEGO City. It looks like a lot of fun, but the graphics looked average for the GameCube at best. Another problem was a bit too much focus on games like Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition, which are already out. Yeah, there's new content, but you shouldn't spend ten minutes on that content.

A lack of Zelda and Smash Bros. was another big letdown. Thankfully though, the good outweighs the bad entirely.

Nintendo is still boss.
Raidaaaah... Hen-SHIN!
beldon123

Postby RyoSoulreaper » June 5th, 2012, 3:01 pm

beldon123 wrote:SONY:
Okay, I didn't bother to recap this one last night. >_>'' I remember it being pretty good, but nothing comes to mind at the moment when I try to think of something that stood out, so I guess it was just okay. Probably one or two standouts.

I got this:

The had:

-Sequel to Heavy Rain. Beyond: Two Souls.
-Far Cry 3 Gameplay show case(4 player co-op campaign.)
-PS All Stars Game Play showcase.
-Presentation of 2 new characters on Rooster for PS All Stars.
Spoiler! :
Nathan Drake and Big Daddy

-The Last of Us Gameplay trailer.
-PS Move wonderbook with Harry Potter "Book of Spells" gameplay showcase.
-New Assassin's Creed 3 footage as well as a Vita Title and bundle.
-PS3 Assassin's Creed 3 bundle.
-PS Mobile
-New Plus games.
-Able to download PS1 Classics to Vita
-PS All Stars ports to Vita.

There is more but This is all I remember.
Egoraptor in reference to Sonic 06 wrote:YOU GOTTA LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND ASK "WHAT AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH TODAY?" NOT FUCKING THIS!!
RyoSoulreaper

Postby robybang » June 5th, 2012, 3:42 pm

You can tell the big game developers are trying so hard to be Web 2.0 social networking. WiiU wants to show Miis commenting on games, with comments, video chat, etc. Microsoft wants you to play the games on your smartphone and iPad. EA is playing up the social networking aspect of sports in Madden with a simulated Twitter feed of sports broadcasters and encourages you to share plays on Facebook and Twitter. It's kind of sad how they're jumping on the bandwagon, but then again, every TV network and website is already on board the "I want to know what millions of strangers think about everything," train, so they might as well.
three wrote:
The_Hankerchief wrote:AHNOLD TSUNDERENEGGER

"AHL BE BAHCK... BUT NAHT BECAUSE I LIEK YOU OR ANYTHING."
robybang

Postby Seven Rain » June 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Scribblenauts Unlimited, the NSMB games as well as Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion were the Big N highlights for me. Overall hard to say it was disappointing despite the lack of Zelda/Wii U price.
And the conference itself was as awesomely cheesy as always. I fanboy'd when Reggie nodded at the My Body is Ready meme.

Neon the Sniper Joe wrote:Also 3DS stream tomorrow.

Yiss, lookin' forward to this. It'd be cool if they made a habit out of having extra E3 conferences/streams for different systems like this.
Seven Rain

Postby tezzle » June 5th, 2012, 6:13 pm

I like that the 3DS is looking pretty good. I really want to get one when I've got the dough and Animal Crossing & Luigi's Mansion have already sold me pretty hard with it.

I'm more upset FOR Nintendo that the WiiU's got a bit of a lackluster start-off, I probably wouldn't buy one anyway since I'm not that big of a gamer. Though again, PS3 started off with people claiming it had "No games" and they're doing alright for themselves...I think?...Fuck man, that wonderbook...Oy. Anyway, what was most telling to me was that now that Nintendo actually has a system that can run A-list games they're playing catch-up. I dunno WHY, since almost everyone who wanted to play Mass Effect 3 or Arkham City when they first came out probably did on a different console. Like I'm not saying there's not a group of people who will be all ready to play that shit on the WiiU, but I doubt it's a significant enough demographic. If anyone's gonna keep them in the picture as far as the "hardcore gamerz" demo is concerned, Ubisoft seems to have their back on this. Come to think of it, with that ACIII game for the Sony Vita they're giving Sony some help too.

Man, not only did Ubisoft win E3 they apparently saved it overall. Good job you nutty Frenchmen.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Seven Rain » June 5th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I dunno, I think it is a silly move on Nintendo's part to focus so much on games that are already available or soon to be available on current systems but I've heard people claim that according to devs the Wii U is indeed worthy of being called a next-gen system rather than just catching up to Sony and MS.
But yeah, it's cool to have ports and stuff but they should focus more on the upcoming games and new IPs rather than stuff already available if they want sales from people besides folks like me who knew they were gonna buy it before they even announced it.
Seven Rain

Postby MacSimon » June 5th, 2012, 7:57 pm

RyoSoulreaper wrote:-Presentation of 2 new characters on Rooster for PS All Stars.
Spoiler! :
Nathan Drake and Big Daddy

big daWHAT, DAMMIT, NOW I NEED THIS!
MacSimon

Postby SpiralPen » June 5th, 2012, 8:04 pm

RyoSoulreaper wrote:

-Sequel to Heavy Rain. Beyond: Two Souls.

It's actually not a sequel, just the next game from the same devs, yo!

OH GOD IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!
Spoiler! :

My heart is all a flutter dammit. I fucking love those new little Rock guys, they remind me of the coal sprites from Spirited Away!
UGH! EVERYTHING! * U *
And was I the only one who saw a flying pink Pikmin with a big head in the trailer?

cuz you know... nobody said anything...
about it...

at all....

just me then?
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » June 5th, 2012, 8:14 pm

I dunno, but that rock Pikmin was pretty damn cool.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » June 5th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Near the end of the wordless trailer and the very beginning of the Press Conference showing, there is a little pink Pikmin who flies by the big "PIKMIN 3" logo.

I swear to god that's what it is. It's pink with a big head and little wings.

Please, somebody, confirm this for me so I know I'm not crazy.
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » June 5th, 2012, 8:51 pm

SpiralPen wrote:Near the end of the wordless trailer and the very beginning of the Press Conference showing, there is a little pink Pikmin who flies by the big "PIKMIN 3" logo.

I swear to god that's what it is. It's pink with a big head and little wings.

Please, somebody, confirm this for me so I know I'm not crazy.

This thing?
Eyup. This screen isn't the best quality, but yeah. That thing definitely has a little Pikmin leaf on it's head.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » June 5th, 2012, 9:19 pm

THANK YOU!!
Good lord, it was driving me CRAZY how nobody acknowledged that!!

* 7 *

With the introduction of something as abstract as Rock Pikmin, my imagination has gone wild. I'm not even thinking colors anymore. Vegetable Pikmin, fruit pikmin. Ice Pikmin.

Who knows, they all sounds awesome and I am so excited.

SO EXCITED.
SpiralPen

Postby Afrohawkman » June 5th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Am I the only one who looked over at Lego City and thought that looked INSANELY FUN? Like at first I just sorta glossed over it because I was looking for First Party games but after taking a good look at it, it looks so good! Lego games always have a bit of polish in them but this looks like something I'd seriously like to sink my teeth into. I took a look at the e3 site for Nintendo as well and saw some really good games that although aren't normally my style look like a lot of fun. Project P-100 looks reeally cool, it kind of reminds me of Pikmin actually haha!

I think the only thing I'm really worried about is having a smash first party game for the Wii U's launch. Those games look great but I want to be able to play something that Nintendo's known for. 3rd Party games are great but there's just something about putting in that Nintendo game and watching the magic unfold.
Afrohawkman

Postby SpiralPen » June 5th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:Am I the only one who looked over at Lego City and thought that looked INSANELY FUN? Like at first I just sorta glossed over it because I was looking for First Party games but after taking a good look at it, it looks so good! Lego games always have a bit of polish in them but this looks like something I'd seriously like to sink my teeth into. I took a look at the e3 site for Nintendo as well and saw some really good games that although aren't normally my style look like a lot of fun.

I think the only thing I'm really worried about is having a smash first party game for the Wii U's launch. Those games look great but I want to be able to play something that Nintendo's known for. 3rd Party games are great but there's just something about putting in that Nintendo game and watching the magic unfold.

Heck yeah!!
I thought it looked like a blast, too. When the trailer first started I was like "...Lego City?... No theme this time?" But then I saw the gameplay and it really looked fantastic. The humor seems a bit hit and miss for my tastes, but with an explorable open-world game based on a fun and creative property like LEGO's (one from my childhood, no less), I got super excited. Not something I was expecting, would expect myself to be excited for, but sort of really want to play now that I saw it!

I hear you about the First-Party launch, though. It would be magical to slam right into a brand-new Smash Bros., Zelda, or Star Fox this holiday, but unfortunately, I think those titles have a little while longer to emerge. Skyward Sword just came out this year and Smash Bros. was teased last E3. However, if I'm not mistaken, Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros. U are gonna be at launch! That's two triple-A, in-house developed, pure Nintendo goodness titles right out of the box for you.
And honestly, those look awesome enough to tide my appetite for more of the core franchises I'm anticipating. Especially Pikmin 3. Have I mentioned how excited I am for that?

Speaking of 3rd party titles, though, did anybody go and hunt down the Project P-100 trailer? For some reason it wasn't a part of the Nintendo Press Conference, but heck, it looks AWESOME. It's developed by Platinum Games and it looks really unique already! I saw glimpses of multiplayer in the trailer, with multiple colored masses, but I'm still sort of confused about what all is going on. Do you control a giant mass of heroes? Or is it one hero with a heap of junk? I couldn't quite tell, but it looked creative and.... well....sort of like Pikmin.

WHAT'S THAT??
Somebody say
PIKMIN??
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » June 5th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:Am I the only one who looked over at Lego City and thought that looked INSANELY FUN?

I thought it looked fun, but I was expecting something a bit more free and customizable rather than a Lego Cop game.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games