The Official Wii U Thread

The Official Wii U Thread

Postby Seven Rain » September 12th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Just because.
Yes, that shiny new Nintendo console that more or less signifies the first step into Generation 8. It's an enigmatic little device ripe with features and game announcements but thus far devoid of a release date or price.
Well that's changing tomorrow.

I for one am crazy excited. I loved the Wii but despised motion controls. The Wii U looks like everything I've wanted the Wii U to be and then some, even incorporating the touchscreens of the DS/3DS which I must say I loved much more than motion controls, (save for certain games which were only controllable via touchscreen...)
Can't wait to find out when it's coming out and how much it'll be.

So yeah. We now have a Wii U central. Sure it's not a game or a franchise, but it's the first Gen 8 console and I feel that's reason enough for a thread about it.
Seven Rain

Re: The Official Wii U Thread

Postby AndySR » September 12th, 2012, 3:35 pm

I dont feel like giving nintedo a second chance... The while it was enjoyable it didnt impress me and since my sisster gets so pisy when we play i always played alone so the wii didnt do it for me... I will go with sony on gen 8
AndySR

Postby Piano-kun » September 12th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Thanks for letting us know, Seven! It is pretty exciting.

Just a question (maybe you already know the answer to?), but is the handheld part of the Wii U similar to the Gamecube-Gameboy Advance hookup? I'm just kind of confused to the significance of a handheld touchscreen when you already have a screen. I don't remember too many games that I used the Gameboy Advance connection with.
Piano-kun

Postby Seven Rain » September 12th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Piano-kun wrote:Thanks for letting us know, Seven! It is pretty exciting.

Just a question (maybe you already know the answer to?), but is the handheld part of the Wii U similar to the Gamecube-Gameboy Advance hookup? I'm just kind of confused to the significance of a handheld touchscreen when you already have a screen. I don't remember too many games that I used the Gameboy Advance connection with.

Well it comes with the console and will definitely play a bigger role than some extra peripheral. It's one of those things where it's use is really up to the dev's imagination.

One major thing they showed off was the ability to switch what you're playing on the TV over to the pad to play while someone else uses the TV, which is great. Depending on what the pad is used for I'm sure plenty of games won't allow said feature but it's impressive that it's capable of it at all. They also showed smaller things off like using it for the Inventory screen in a Zelda game and whatnot. A lot of third parties seem to be using it to control gadgets and inventory, so I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the most common practice, but yeah. It's all up to how the devs wanna use it.

AndySR wrote:I dont feel like giving nintedo a second chance... The while it was enjoyable it didnt impress me and since my sisster gets so pisy when we play i always played alone so the wii didnt do it for me... I will go with sony on gen 8

You make it sound like someone can't go with both, haha.

I hated motion controls and still got a ton of enjoyment out of my Wii. Did you ever check out Monster Hunter Tri or Skyward Sword? Or perhaps No More Heroes?
I know I personally got most of my enjoyment from the VC, which is still incredibly fun to have around, but since you're quite a bit younger I'm sure it doesn't have the added nostalgia appeal of playing SNES games and N64 games you grew up with if you didn't... Well, grow up with them.

To each their own of course.
Seven Rain

Postby AndySR » September 12th, 2012, 4:10 pm

No the motion controls were fine by me and i wasnt bothered from them.... I like all the mario and sonic titles for the wii as welll as the zelda titles... Too bad i didnt try metroid. Well the wii had a lot of good titles but their ps3 "ripoffs" were better

EDIT: the graphics dont bother me they look fine
Last edited by AndySR on September 12th, 2012, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndySR

Postby Psychikos » September 12th, 2012, 4:11 pm

From my experience at PAX, I have to say the whole 5 player concept only works on mini games like the ones I played in Nintendo Land. In games like new Super Mario Bros U or Rayman Legends, the gamepad only serves as an 'assist', meaning that the one who ends up with the gamepad controller only gets to help everyone else, which isn't very exciting, I think. Not only that, but it becomes really disorienting when four people are frantically moving at their own pace and one person has to keep track of them all. :o

In Project P-100, however, the gamepad not only served as a good menu scree, but there were points where the games shifted to the gamepad and you played it on that, which was really cool. So I think as long as Nintendo veers away from NSMBU and Rayman's style of gamepad usage, there shouldn't be too many problems as far as gameplay is concerned.

"I beat around the bush because the bush is full of thorns."
Psychikos

Postby gameboy+micron » September 12th, 2012, 9:37 pm

wiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiuwiiu...

I'm so psyched. Like, the only other times I get this psyched is around E3. I really wanna stay up tonight and watch the Japanese Nintendo Direct preview (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/index.html), but I also need sleep, so that kinda sucks...But still! So pumped for the release date and pricing at tomorrow's NYC event (American live stream: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/)!
gameboy+micron

Postby Seven Rain » September 12th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I woke up at 1PM and have no pressing matters because I'm currently a useless POS, so I'm shooting for an all-nighter, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » September 12th, 2012, 10:49 pm

10 AM...right during a class! D: CURSES! Oh well, I'll catch up on it when I return no doubt. Can't wait to hear about new information on it! I hear preorders are starting soon as well. If so I'm getting my ass up to Gamestop ASAP because I know it's going to be limited stock like the Wii.

I can't wait to get my hands on the controller. From what I hear it's surprisingly light. It's a bit heavier than normal controllers but still not as bad as it looks. I'm hoping either iPad or lighter for this controller. Hopefully it's something like that so it's easy to use in game. I'm also hoping for some info on the launch games tomorrow. I want to see a good First Party Game Nintendo! I know you've learned from the 3DS's lackluster launch but I want to see it! I'm sure it'll be fine and I'll be getting it day 1, I just want to know what I'm playing when I get it. :D
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » September 12th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:because I know it's going to be limited stock like the Wii.

Honestly who knows, they may have learned from the Wii Launch. I ordered my 3DS online, so no worries there, but when I went to grab games for it they had plenty of 'em in stock. Of course a handheld and a major console are two different things, but I still like to hope that Nintendo realizes now that "Hey, umm... People really like our consoles. Let's make more of them than last time."
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » September 12th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Yeah, hopefully they have learned from last time but I'm taking no chances just in case. I managed to get mine very close to launch day but we had to find it in another state, which isn't a big a deal as it sounds but I'd rather get it ASAP just to ensure I get it before the big named games come out. As a hardcore Nintendo fan, I gotta have the launch day stuff. It's almost like a tradition haha.
Afrohawkman

Postby ApaFox » September 12th, 2012, 11:50 pm

I'm intrigued, I mean, I'm not expecting anything mind blowing. Though I am expecting good stuff.

That and I've owned ever Nintendo console with exception of the Virtual Boy and 3DS at one point or another. It would be a diservice to my gamer cred of I didn't get one.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Afrohawkman » September 13th, 2012, 10:03 am

DAT $300 PRICE TAG. Exactly what I expected. May actually shell out the extra money for that deluxe edition, especially for the extra storage, the bundled Nintendo Land and DAT BLACK WII. November 18th gentlemen! Put it on your calenders!

Man I can't wait to hear the official launch line-up. According to Reggie, between the launch and Christmas 50 titles will be released. I don't think I can handle all those games O_O There's at least 5 games that interest me already!
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » September 13th, 2012, 10:16 am

Whoa, holy hell I must've missed it. I thought I had another hour left. TIME ZONE SHENANIGANS! *Shakes Fist*
So yeah, apparently while I was being bored and hanging around random sites a bunch of mind-blowing info happened.

That price tag isn't too bad. Might not be able to get a Wii U and a 3DS XL over the holidays, but either way I'm definitely going for the Deluxe. I'm a VC + Downloadable titles nut, so that extra space will be killer, and a nice black Wii U to match my PS3 will be niiiiice~

But umm... Aside from that there's other mind-blowing news.
No, seriously, sit down for this one. I did a double-take and still feel like I just groundhog-day'd back to April 1st because this is ridiculous;

Ready for round 2?
BLAM!
NEW MONSTER HUNTER. WESTERN RELEASE CONFIRMED. CROSS-COMPATIBLE WITH A 3DS VERSION.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to be alone so I can process this to a point of understandingness.

*EDIT*
And I am officially jelly of anyone pre-ordering this baby. Having to wait for Xmas makes me feel like a helpless little kiddo again. D:
THE IMPATIENCE WILL MOST DEFINITELY DRIVE ME TO SUICIDE.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » September 13th, 2012, 10:32 am

I fucking want that Monster Hunter so hard. I think I'm getting the Wii version most definitely. I'd love to get both versions but I don't think I'd have enough with all the other games coming out. SO MUCH STUFF REGGIE! GIVE ME A BREAK! I need a job ASAP.
Afrohawkman

Next

Return to Video Games