Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Re: Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Postby Seven Rain » May 25th, 2017, 11:18 pm

Bumpin' this old thread because Monster Hunter XX is getting a Switch release in Japan! That's the first MH to come to a home console since 3G/3U!
I'm withholding my excitement until I find out whether it'll be able to play multiplayer with the 3DS version like 3U could between Wii U and 3DS, but that's still pretty cool news!
Spoiler! :
Also gotta try not to get too excited until figuring out which versions, if either, will get western releases, but Capcom has been pretty consistent with the western releases for MH in recent years so it's a pretty safe bet.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » January 10th, 2018, 5:25 pm

This thread's been dead since May so I'm reviving it again.

Monster Hunter World has been rocking the MH community for some time now. I myself went through a rollercoaster of feelings about it, initially being totally devastated by it, (and still stand by the first impression it made being horrible, they presented it very poorly at E3,) but as things were fleshed out, improved, revealed, and finally placed in my hands via the betas that have been going on, my faith was not only restored, but I'm crazy hype for it now.
(I still miss the potion flex and several of the missing gestures, among other little details, but overall Capcom did things right, and I'm really relieved.)

So sound off dead section of the forums; who's getting MONSTAH HUNTAH WARUDO?
Anyone? Can we get a little action in this thread? If not whatever.
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » January 15th, 2018, 10:09 am

Yep, I'll be there hunter! Going to be playing on PS4, name is Link34521. I'll also be playing on PC whenever it releases down the road, sadly it sounds like it won't be until fall.

Planning on going Greatsword this game as a main since I haven't used it since the original Monster Hunter back on PS2. Going to try out some gunner weapons this time too since they actually feel incredible to play now. I'll have a backup hammer because it's been my main from the PSP games all the way through the DS games, and may pick up the Hunter Horn to try and learn a support/attack role.

Crazy excited for World, I think it's going to be an awesome leap forward for the series as a whole and I think future games will benefit from what we are seeing here. Also it's great that a lot of the stuff they added for new players can be turned off for people who have been playing a certain way for ages. All in all I think this is one of the few things Capcom has done well in the last few years.
Half Assed Chaos, The Worst Webcomic...EVER!
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Seven Rain » January 15th, 2018, 10:51 am

HalfAssedChaos wrote:Going to try out some gunner weapons this time too since they actually feel incredible to play now.

Oh my god dude they're so fun now. The fact that they don't need special armor anymore has me so excited.

HalfAssedChaos wrote:Also it's great that a lot of the stuff they added for new players can be turned off for people who have been playing a certain way for ages.

Yeah I had to turn a ton of that stuff off to make the Beta controls enjoyable. The defaults drove me nuts but after turning off the item radial and all the lock-on stuff it felt a lot better, thankfully.
Still sad that they couldn't at least keep the flex and belly patting in as gestures or something. Hell, they even got rid of a few old gestures like Flaunt and stuff, and that bums me out. Other than that, though, I've come to grips with the changes.

*EDIT*
And yeah I forgot to say I remembered your PSN name and found it in my list. Let me know if you want me to add it to the ID thread. I try not to do so without people asking first.
(Not that it really matters, this side of the forums is always dead these days.)
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » January 16th, 2018, 9:27 am

Yeah feel free to add it, always open to new hunters. Gonna take a bit to get used to all the new movement options though, there's just so much more to learn now and I'm really excited!

I didn't see it in the beta, and I really missed the Prance gesture. It was far and away my favorite. I also miss the flexing after a potion for sure, but with how many monsters can be on screen at a time now, I could see that leading to a lot more frustrating carts than it used. But my precious Prance emote, hopefully it will be released in one of the updates though.
HalfAssedChaos

Postby kayotics » February 10th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Hi! I just got Monster Hunter World yesterday, but I played a LOT of monster hunter tri. I’m playing on PS4.

I usually use the hammer, myself. But I might try some other stuff since it’s been a while since I played a monster hunter game. Any recommendations on weapons for the new game?
kayotics

Postby Seven Rain » February 10th, 2018, 5:25 pm

kayotics wrote:Any recommendations on weapons for the new game?

I always recommend that everyone try everything. Every weapon has it's fun playstyle and quirks and moves to figure out, and it's good having a variety under your belt for when certain monsters are tough to fight with certain weapons.
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » February 12th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Gotta agree with that. Give everything a try and look at some tutorials to see what it can do, a lot of weapons have changed up quite a lot since Tri. The ranged weapons also feel very different and much better than they had.

As for personal choice, I've generally been a hammer user since the 2nd Gen. (Did Lance on first gen). But this time I decided to really try and learn the Greatsword and I am absolutely loving it. After I learned that you can cancel your charges into shoulder bashes, and that those shoulder bashes give you super armor so you can literally shoulder tackle through a fireball, my entire fighting style has changed and I am having a blast.

There's a lot to the game and little unseen perks with each weapon. But pick something that feels good, or cool, to you. They are all viable with good kill times.
HalfAssedChaos

Postby Seven Rain » May 10th, 2018, 12:34 pm

My god, Capcom won me over with MHW but they're still releasing the Switch version of XX over here all the same!
That's pretty awesome news. It'll be brutal ditching some of the QOL improvements from World but I gotta play it. I really appreciate Capcom localizing XX, considering World has been so successful that they really had no need to localize XX. (I guess if you wanna be cynical maybe it's just them trying to squeeze some MH sales out of Nintendo fans that don't have systems to play MHW on, but oh well!)
Seven Rain

Postby HalfAssedChaos » May 10th, 2018, 2:20 pm

They recently released that the Japanese version was considered an "Overwhelming Success", so I was really hoping this announcement would be coming soon. Also pumped you can transfer over your 3DS data from Generations. Now we have awesome HD Monster Huntin and one of largest MHs on the go localized. It's a good year to be a fan of the series.
HalfAssedChaos

Previous

Return to Video Games