Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Re: Hunters report in! It's time for Monster Hunter general!

Postby Seven Rain » March 17th, 2013, 11:12 pm

I'm grabbing mine at a midnight release tomorrow night~ It'll be nice having that early start because I wanna make sure to get Charm Table 10 and farm up plenty of items before I start grinding my ass off against MOONSTAHS.

Spoiler! :
As for the voice chat, yeah, if it's an important feature to you I can see wanting a headset over the Wii U Pad, but Iunno if it'll actually support any kind of headset.
Sonic-ock wrote:Been a while, made a lot of really great friends here. I love this community and I love you guys, it's been so real...
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » March 18th, 2013, 2:30 pm

I gotta say, this demo was a god send. I've played it countless times on both my 3DS and Wii U and now I feel so much more confident going in. I mean I'm not an expert on every monster and there will probably be plenty that will stick kick my ass but I have a general feel of how each of the weapons work, how comfortable I feel with each of 'em, and how to keep track of my environment. I'm so glad I had the chance to actually try out every weapon first hand; knowing my dumb self I would've stuck with Sword and Shield or Great Sword just because that's what I used before. Getting an idea of how the controls work, especially the Monster camera (SO GUD) has been great. Hell, I even managed to do well with a Bow earlier! I hated the thing before but now that I know how to aim properly it's a lot more fun than I thought. Probably won't use it anytime soon but hey, options! :D

Can't wait to jump in tomorrow!
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » March 19th, 2013, 2:25 am

Totally grabbed MH3U at that midnight release earlier. Been chillin' with some friends while I get charm table shenanigans and stuff done.

And oh man, being able to set ZL and ZR to the L and R functions makes the gamepad soooooooooo much more comfortable to use.
Sonic-ock wrote:Been a while, made a lot of really great friends here. I love this community and I love you guys, it's been so real...
Seven Rain

Postby Hunterkirizaki » March 19th, 2013, 3:28 pm

My brother got the 3DS and WiiU versions of the game. I've been playing a bit on the 3DS. Good stuff, but gawdamn camera.
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby Neon Drive » March 19th, 2013, 3:45 pm

The camera is kinda iffy from what I've played on the demo (3ds)
Buuuuuuuuut
i quickly got used to it and it's actually pretty neat, may get the full game eventually (when i have access to a proper game store and money)
H0lyhandgrenade wrote:
Sonic-ock wrote: I wrote poo on his little whiteboard.

Fight the power!
Neon Drive

Postby Afrohawkman » March 19th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Been playing a bit but only had enough time to play a few quests before I had to hop off and do other work. Man, I hate getting a new game whenever you have a ton of work, IT'S SO HARD TO FOCUS.

Rockin' the Dual Blades so far though, still as fun as they were in the demo. Wish I didn't lose sharpness so quickly but that's the drawback of the Dual Blades. Got plenty of Whetstones to keep me going but still sucks every now and then (huzzah for using the Quest Mini Whetstones right before you withdraw from a quest!).

Can't wait to really get in and fight my first big monster! :D
Afrohawkman

Postby Hunterkirizaki » March 19th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Oh yea, I'm using that ridiculous Switch-Axe thing. It's just brilliantly fun to use IMO, and I've always been a fan of the meatier, larger weapons like the longsword and greatsword in the first Monster Hunter.
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby Seven Rain » March 19th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Welp. Exchanged my disc for a new one, and it lasted a lot longer but eventually it still fucked up.
Guess tomorrow I've gotta go up to Gamers and get the 3DS version.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » March 20th, 2013, 12:18 am

Seven Rain wrote:Welp. Exchanged my disc for a new one, and it lasted a lot longer but eventually it still fucked up.

Darn, sorry to hear that man. Are you able to play other games on your Wii U or do they fuck up as well? Have you called up Nintendo?
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » March 20th, 2013, 12:22 am

Afrohawkman wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Welp. Exchanged my disc for a new one, and it lasted a lot longer but eventually it still fucked up.

Darn, sorry to hear that man. Are you able to play other games on your Wii U or do they fuck up as well? Have you called up Nintendo?

Don't know yet and no. The only other game I have is Nintendo Land but it'd be annoying finding out if that freezes as well since they're so random and sometimes far apart.

I'll probably break down and give them a call tomorrow but I've never had good experience dealing with tech support stuff. They always seem to either have no idea what they're doing, (I remember calling Mediacom about some trouble getting my PS3 online a long time ago, and me and my friend were laughing at the fact that the dude told us to "Press X to confirm," in a manner that sounded like he was reading from a manual on his desk,) assume that the caller is a moron, or both.
I'm still trying to get whatever I can done in the game for now, though. At least it freezes less often now. I'll worry about making calls and picking up the 3DS version tomorrow... Although it sucks that by the time the new disc started freezing Gamers was already closed. I don't think they can hold games for people for more than a day and they only had one copy of it left.

*EDIT*
I've also finally seen one or two people with the same problem, but neither cases had any real help other than people echoing to call Nintendo and stuff...

*EDIT*
Still freezing here and there but the game's being a lot better about it, at least when I take breaks in-between the freezes... And since the transfer tool for moving characters between the Wii U and 3DS versions isn't actually out yet, I'm gonna hold off on getting the 3DS version and see how things go until that transfer tool is out, which I think is in two days or so.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » March 20th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Alright man, best of luck to you on that problem. Wish I could do more but sadly I don't know enough about the Wii U to help.

While on the subject of Monster Hunter though, I must say I'm quite pleased with the ability to redo quests. After redoing the Great Jaggi quest a few times I'm already decked out in full Jaggi armor which looks SO much better than my leather armor and has a lot more defense. Can't wait until I have enough materials to get new swords! :D

Spoiler! :
Site note: I realized a while ago that I chose a Female starter because I really liked the voice from using Dual Blades in the demo. As much as I enjoy playing it on single player, I imagine it might get awkward in multiplayer, especially with the new voice chat. I dunno, here's hoping I don't run into any awkward situations whenever I eventually try out online mode.
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » March 20th, 2013, 8:54 pm

I'm sure there are a lot of people who play as the other gender when playing MH, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your character name isn't decidedly feminine, haha.

Oh, and be sure to get used to checking out the Armor skills as well. Those are incredibly important in the game, and one of the other reasons Jaggi gear is nice, since it's parts have Attack Up.
And if you don't already know this; Armor skills activate when you build up enough of the points. Usually it takes 10 points to activate a skill, sometimes more and some, (like Attack Up,) have multiple levels it can go up every time you get 5-10 more points in the skill.
Spoiler! :
Hope that helps if you didn't already know about Armor Skills, I gotta eat and typed this up in a bit of a rush.
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » March 20th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Seven Rain wrote:I'm sure there are a lot of people who play as the other gender when playing MH, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your character name isn't decidedly feminine, haha.

I feel like the name "Alba" is pretty decidedly female, but we'll see.

And I actually found out about the Attack Up recently, I did some looking and it makes more sense than it did when I first played Tri. Thanks for the heads up though, feeling pretty good about it so far.
Afrohawkman

Postby Seven Rain » March 20th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I'm sure there are a lot of people who play as the other gender when playing MH, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your character name isn't decidedly feminine, haha.

I feel like the name "Alba" is pretty decidedly female, but we'll see.

Ah, figured you'd go with Afrohawk or something, haha. I went with Sevrai. Lately I've made this habit of using Sevrai for character names in MMOs and such. It sounds more "name-y" than Seven Rain.
Spoiler! :
As for my character I just went with the same one I had in Tri. Danzig hair and the Johnny Yong Bosch-wannabe voice, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » March 20th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Afrohawkman wrote:I feel like the name "Alba" is pretty decidedly female, but we'll see.

I went with Sevrai. Lately I've made this habit of using Sevrai...

If we're going by this logic, he should call 'er Arowkan.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games