The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby ApaFox » August 11th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Think you might be interested, Apa?

If it'll help me plan events on a technical level, sure. You called it, making events is def the thing I'm having the biggest problem with.

I also wanna go and re-draw some new portraits. The prefabs are very pixelated.

All stuff ill check out after work.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » August 11th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Alrighty then, I'll see if I can get it gamedisk-ified and uploaded to Mediafire or something. It should be a hoot.
Just... If you play the game itself, don't take it seriously. It's in no way an indicator of the kind of writing to expect from me unless I'm being silly, haha.
Though the Xin are far from the only bioweapons that'll play antagonistic roles in my stuff.

*EDIT*
Oh wait, duh. No need to create a gamedisk since I'm just giving you the game's resources for screwing around with anyway.

*EDIT*
Alright, this should work.
Just unrar this and stick the ZA folder in your rpg2003 folder, (where the RTP folder is,) which should be in Program Files or something.
Then just open the project in the program itself and have at it. Lemme know if there are any problems with it.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » August 11th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Thanks mate, even lookin at the over world map is giving some insight. Imma look into them mechanics piece by piece.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » August 12th, 2013, 12:42 am

Glad to be of help!
Seven Rain

Postby KirbyHead » August 18th, 2013, 10:51 pm

I recently started a short side project (still in Unity) to improve my animation skills for my main project. A WIP of the main character's sprite:

Whereas my man project is a 2D isometric RPG, for this one I'm thinking sidescroller. I'm having a little difficulty deciding on gameplay, though. I suppose there's not much to do but prototype it and see if it's enjoyable enough and plays well enough to be fleshed out.
KirbyHead

Postby eishiya » August 19th, 2013, 7:56 am

KirbyHead wrote:I recently started a short side project (still in Unity) to improve my animation skills for my main project. A WIP of the main character's sprite:
Spoiler! :

I hope you don't mind a little art crit. Unless this is going to be a very small sprite (~40px tall), I recommend putting more bounce in there. The body isn't one solid mass but a bunch of connected squishy things, so the shockwave of each step takes a while to propagate through the body. Right now she looks like she's tiny and made of paper because there's no delay in any of the motion, and thus no sense of weight. Even when one walks, there's often some noticeable motion lag, and the faster one moves, the more bounce there is.

I really like the style, I hope the final product will retain some of those lines.
eishiya

Postby KirbyHead » August 19th, 2013, 12:07 pm

eishiya wrote:I hope you don't mind a little art crit. Unless this is going to be a very small sprite (~40px tall), I recommend putting more bounce in there. The body isn't one solid mass but a bunch of connected squishy things, so the shockwave of each step takes a while to propagate through the body. Right now she looks like she's tiny and made of paper because there's no delay in any of the motion, and thus no sense of weight. Even when one walks, there's often some noticeable motion lag, and the faster one moves, the more bounce there is.

I really like the style, I hope the final product will retain some of those lines.

Nope, I love art crit, so thanks! I actually got the bounce comment from some other people, as well. I tend to underestimate how much I need to exaggerate the movement of characters, so when I animate they often come out stiff. That's one of the things I need to go back and change, as well as fixing the hair and cleaning up some of the mistakes in consistency. As for the final size, I think it'll be about 2/3rds of that current size, so not enough room to hide all of those mistakes. Small enough to hide how wobbly my lines look, though!
KirbyHead

Postby eishiya » September 11th, 2013, 12:14 am

Did some graphics optimisations on a browser game I'm working on (they were implemented naively at first). Between 400% and 2000% speed-up, depending on the operation in question. I should probably feel bad about doing it naively in the first place, but I think I'll just feel awesome about getting it to run so much better.

Tomorrow, I shall make some sprites.
eishiya

Postby FlamingDbag » September 12th, 2013, 10:28 pm

I'm now going to Uni to do a Game Design course. Honestly I'm a little weary if it's even going to take me anywhere but I guess I'll figure out if I'm doing the right thing soon enough. Don't get me wrong I REALLY want to make video games just I'm not sure if I finish the course and end up trying to go for some other media job (like animation if I finally get better at it) that the title is going to be taken seriously.
FlamingDbag

Postby Bowserknight » September 13th, 2013, 1:51 pm

FlamingDbag wrote:I'm now going to Uni to do a Game Design course. Honestly I'm a little weary if it's even going to take me anywhere but I guess I'll figure out if I'm doing the right thing soon enough. Don't get me wrong I REALLY want to make video games just I'm not sure if I finish the course and end up trying to go for some other media job (like animation if I finally get better at it) that the title is going to be taken seriously.

Oh hey, I started Computer Games Development a week ago too. Apparently for the first year it's exactly the same as computer science, then they start diverging a bit. That's how it is here, anyway.
It's useful since I didn't know any coding before. I think after these 4 years are up I should be able to pretty much make a full short game(not counting the RPG Maker one I'm doing), although I guess I'll need someone else for sound/music.
Bowserknight

Postby eishiya » September 13th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Bowserknight wrote:
FlamingDbag wrote:I'm now going to Uni to do a Game Design course. Honestly I'm a little weary if it's even going to take me anywhere but I guess I'll figure out if I'm doing the right thing soon enough. Don't get me wrong I REALLY want to make video games just I'm not sure if I finish the course and end up trying to go for some other media job (like animation if I finally get better at it) that the title is going to be taken seriously.

Oh hey, I started Computer Games Development a week ago too. Apparently for the first year it's exactly the same as computer science, then they start diverging a bit. That's how it is here, anyway.
It's useful since I didn't know any coding before. I think after these 4 years are up I should be able to pretty much make a full short game(not counting the RPG Maker one I'm doing), although I guess I'll need someone else for sound/music.

Depending on how willing you are to mess around with programming on your own, you should be able to start making your own stuff much sooner than that! All you really need is a basic understanding of how programming works (data structures and logic), which one-two semesters should give you. Beyond that, it's a matter of figuring out what frameworks are available to you and how to use them, which is something that a couple of weekends of messing around can teach you. Don't feel like you should wait until you learn more to get started on making games! Your classes will likely be very helpful in teaching you design theory and certain engines/frameworks to help you craft better games faster, but that knowledge is a bonus, not a requirement.
eishiya

Postby KirbyHead » September 16th, 2013, 4:05 am

Friendly reminder to back up your stuff! Whether you're using a Flash drive, an external hard drive, a Google Drive account, or Git/SVN (which I highly recommend: version control is awesome and has saved my butt a coupe of times) make sure you have a backup of your project that exists outside of your computer! Just ran into a problem I could have easily solved by reverting my changes with Git had I been making regular commits. Because I wasn't, though, it took me four hours to properly fix! Moral of the story: I'm dumb, so I should use the tools I've learned to prevent me from screwing myself over.
KirbyHead

Postby eishiya » October 9th, 2013, 10:16 pm

I'm finally at that stage where I can start writing the game AI.

And now I am making no progress because I am too busy laughing at how derpy the current AI draft is.
It doesn't help that the test enemies are trees.
eishiya

Postby Mundius » October 14th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I got myself Unity, so I'm ready to do something that isn't stupid or barely a game or both.
Mundius

Postby JoKeR » October 14th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Thanks to eishiya do I know now about this thread ... *joy*

Did anyone ever visit my Food Fight Project page? (signature)

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games