The Official Game Development Thread

Re: The Official Game Development Thread

Postby redandblack64 » February 4th, 2016, 2:58 pm

This helped me a ton. Before I saw that, I was completely lost. Now it's just a matter of finding the formulas, scripts and functions for each of those states (cicles) and transitions (lines/arrows) by way of using separate scripts.
redandblack64

Postby zaceron » May 23rd, 2016, 5:13 pm

Personally I prefer game maker studio and unity. RPG maker is fun and all, but I hate dealing with the damnable title logic. Me and a team started making a final fantasy six styled game. https://www.facebook.com/gamershavenstudios/

Here is my most success full game so far. However there is only local coop. gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=444875&st=0&p=3268289&#entry3268289

https://www.facebook.com/SandCos/
I do cosplay, streaming, articles and more.
zaceron

Postby Bowserknight » May 26th, 2016, 3:21 pm

RPG Maker MV is getting a free weekend on Steam, apparently.

There's also some free TF2 sprites for some reason?
Bowserknight

Postby zaceron » May 26th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Bowserknight wrote:RPG Maker MV is getting a free weekend on Steam, apparently.

There's also some free TF2 sprites for some reason?

Valve being Valve and they made the platform RPG maker is sold through^_^

https://www.facebook.com/SandCos/
I do cosplay, streaming, articles and more.
zaceron

Postby eishiya » May 30th, 2016, 2:35 pm

I made a dinky online tool I dub Game Equation Grapher (GEG) to help me visualise my game mechanics math, thought I should share in case it's useful to others!
Put your game math in, and it graphs it. When your math relies on multiple stats (e.g. if your attack damage depends on WEAPON_ATK and STR), you can choose one value to vary along the x-axis, and you can control the rest manually.

The goal of this thing was just to allow me to quickly compare different ideas for various mechanics. For example, how ridiculous are my exp curves? Do my procedurally generated monsters get strong too quickly or too slowly compared to the growth of the player's gear? Does damage spike sharply when the stars align?

Here's a screenshot comparing the unarmed damage in pre- and post-Renewal Ragnarok Online, as an example:
Spoiler! :

In addition to basic mathematical operators and your variables, you can use many mathematical functions (sin, log, etc) and constants (e, pi, etc).

The tool I'm using to generate the plots has some usability issues, and I had to make crappy workarounds. In particular, there might be a bit of lag when changing the number of formulas in the plot, the size of the chart doesn't change when you resize the window, and the axes usually don't auto-scale correctly, and can't be adjusted individually. Scaling axes correctly would require finding maxima/minima of the functions which can get very complicated and laggy. Adjusting the axes individually is something I could implement but it didn't seem worth the effort. If people like this thing, I might polish it up some more, though!
eishiya

Postby cloverthegreat » July 5th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Giving Code Academy a shot, learning by doing seems to be the best way for me to learn, so I'm going to mess around with RPG Maker and Ruby and see what happens.
cloverthegreat

Postby kevansevans » August 13th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Starting up a game that's supposed to emulate what having ADHD feels like. One of the major symptoms is the sort of energy we need to motivate ourselves to perform a task, and how it sometimes feels like failure is not an option, so through out the game will be these very annoying difficult minigames to represent you performing tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCTtpNEF2aU
kevansevans

Postby eishiya » August 20th, 2016, 9:14 am

@kevansevans: That seems like a neat idea! Something like that will probably need really polished presentation to get people to play it, since it sounds like a game designed to annoy at the best of times. I also worry a bit about how it'll affect people with such disorders, as failing at small tasks can be very triggering.

A+ class and variable naming in my code:
Game game = Game();

I'm switching from SDL to SFML. SFML is simpler and more limited than SDL, but it makes for cleaner code, and it has all the features I need with fewer things I don't need. Hopefully this'll be quicker to deal with, and I can get to writing the fun stuff sooner. Ironically I'm actually putting off writing the drawing code in favour of getting the skeletal structure of the thing up first. I was drawing my little test potion bottles on day 2-ish with SDL, but it's day 3 and I've not drawn anything to the screen yet with SFML aside from a test circle to verify that it was working.

I'm getting into C++ a bit more this time than the last time I tried writing this game, and it's making me paranoid about memory leaks because I have very little memory-freeing code right now, because from what I understand of C++ and its scoping, I shouldn't need to manually delete most of the things I'm making, they should be getting allocated to the stack and being freed when the function that made them returns. In C, the things I am doing now with objects had to be done with things manually allocated on the heap so that all had to be cleared by hand, and in PHP and JS memory clearing wasn't even really a thing, so being between those two extremes is making me feel insecure.

September 10 Edit: Things are working 8] I'm still doing engine crap rather than game-specific code, but it's working pretty nicely so far. I am particularly proud of how it manages resources to avoid reloading/recreating things that get reused. I still need to figure out a specification for input files that tell the engine how to split textures up into sprites and animations. I have code that can do all of that, but no way to use it except through hard-coding, which is obviously at odds with a file-driven approach.
I wrote a function to load a custom game data file (which would contain all the assets), but haven't yet written a program to create these files. Excellent use of my evening.
eishiya

Postby eishiya » September 28th, 2016, 1:28 pm

It's been a month, I think I can double-post xP

TIL that the analog sticks/d-pad/triggers on game controllers are a nightmare of jittering and deadzone settings in the OS don't do anything. I also learned that what I thought was a dirty hack is actually a pretty standard way of dealing with that jitter:
Code: Select all
if(value < 0.1f) value = 0.0f; //HACK: Ignore jittering around the origin by setting a massive dead zone.

(Apparently 10% isn't even considered a massive dead zone, but rather a minimum.)

But hey, I've got controllers working now! It was more of a pain than one might expect because the analog position change comes in as one event, but it could be mapped to different actions depending on whether the input is positive or negative. In fact, it can't just be mapped to "A when positive, B when negative" because when it's at rest, that means both A and B should be 0, so I had to write it to map to two actions simultaneously and update both. One hardware event comes in and turns into two game input events. It works, but the drawback is that I have to pass an extra InputID around for every input, even though it's only meaningful for analog controls.
eishiya

Postby eishiya » October 5th, 2016, 8:28 am

I'm still using placeholder graphics (from the old version of Endless) and there's no collision detection, but it's starting to look like a game 8] I wrote a way to import Tiled TMX files into it so I don't have to hard-code the test levels. I can probably expand the TMX support to allow adding NPCs and all that. Tiled, though lacking in some features I need, is pretty damn good. I can cheat at some features it doesn't have by using custom properties in the maps. I'd rather avoid writing my own level editor since that's a bigger task than writing a game.

I added multi-threaded level-loading and loading screens, but currently the files are all so small that I have to make the loading thread sleep for a bit just so I can see the loading screen :'D
Multithreading is a big fat pain, but I thiiiink I've got it. My big problems came not from data races, but rather from the fact that I was trying to create textures on the GPU in the wrong thread. Only my main thread has an OpenGL context and can create textures, any other threads will just cause the program to crash with no useful error information if I try to do any OpenGL things in them.

I still need to add a way to go from level to level, but other than that and sound, I think I have all the game-agnostic code done.
I haven't tested my parallax scrolling code, but the fact that it scrolls the two equally-sized layers in my current test map correctly gives me hope.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » October 9th, 2016, 6:41 am

I all but gave up on game design after RPG Maker MV turned out to be one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever bought, as well as trying and failing to learn GML, but just for the hell of it I got that Humble Bundle that comes with Cickteam Fusion 2.5 and a bunch of indie games and cool, (normally very expensive,) additions to Fusion.
Hopefully I can find some spare time to play around with it.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » October 9th, 2016, 8:50 am

Seven Rain wrote:I all but gave up on game design after RPG Maker MV turned out to be one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever bought, as well as trying and failing to learn GML, but just for the hell of it I got that Humble Bundle that comes with Cickteam Fusion 2.5 and a bunch of indie games and cool, (normally very expensive,) additions to Fusion.

Sorry to hear about RPGMMV D: I've still barely touched the VX Ace I bought ages ago, I just don't like the RPGM approach to game-making, and they seem to keep making it worse with every version.
I hope you'll find something you like!

If you ever give GML another chance, feel free to ask me for help! I don't actually know GML at all, but it looks like a pretty "normal" OOP language with a lot of built-in game logic functions. I can probably help you figure some things out.
GameMaker Studio going free almost immediately after I bought it made me a bit salty, so I never used it. But the language seems pretty straight-forward to me, coming from other languages.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » October 9th, 2016, 11:40 am

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I all but gave up on game design after RPG Maker MV turned out to be one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever bought, as well as trying and failing to learn GML, but just for the hell of it I got that Humble Bundle that comes with Cickteam Fusion 2.5 and a bunch of indie games and cool, (normally very expensive,) additions to Fusion.

Sorry to hear about RPGMMV D: I've still barely touched the VX Ace I bought ages ago, I just don't like the RPGM approach to game-making, and they seem to keep making it worse with every version.
I hope you'll find something you like!

RPG Maker has always been a weird thing where I want to invest time into it because it's nostalgic and fun, but in the end it feels like trying too hard is a waste because of how limited they are. I came close to a major project with VXA, but still couldn't find it in me to keep going, partially because of MV's upcoming release.
Spoiler! :
On paper, MV was everything I wanted. It allowed for larger resolutions, more freedom in terms of graphics, a nice new tileset, (the only graphical element I couldn't really get good at doing custom stuff for,) and killer built-in music, but they made it cater too hard to phones and browsers, and some issues with it never got resolved through updates, like one of the processes it uses having a nasty memory leak or some such issue. Music and audio files were slow to load because even if you wanted to make a PC game, it tested and ran as if it was a browser game, leading to loading times for music and stuff. Of course it's been a long time and I'm going off of memory and explanations in forums here, but every time I've ever checked back they failed to fix the biggest problems for me, (though I have heard that people made plugins that fix the audio loading and stuff, so who knows, I might try it again sometime.)

Sorry to go off on a tangent, I'm sure you don't have enough interest in RPGM to have any interest in my disappointment with MV, but I was so hype and spent so much money on it just for it to end up crushing me with disappointment. It was a learning experience, though. It was my first time buying an RPGM on release at full price, and my last.

eishiya wrote:If you ever give GML another chance, feel free to ask me for help! I don't actually know GML at all, but it looks like a pretty "normal" OOP language with a lot of built-in game logic functions. I can probably help you figure some things out.
GameMaker Studio going free almost immediately after I bought it made me a bit salty, so I never used it. But the language seems pretty straight-forward to me, coming from other languages.

Yeah, everyone says the language is pretty easy, but that kind of thing just isn't for me. I've even tried stuff like that in the past like povray and C++, but even when I could get to a point that I could program some basic thing to feel like I'm progressing, my fickle self would take a break to pursue other hobbies only to return and realize I've forgotten everything. I dunno, I know I'm not the brightest guy in general, but I've always had a particularly poor time trying to comprehend and retain things like that, despite the fact that in other facets of life I'm a really calculating and inside-the-box kind of person.
Luckily writing and art are things that are so embedded in my soul I can't lose track of them, but programming is beyond me. At least with RPGM and Fusion I have a GUI-based engine to lighten the technical load, all I need is the time to work on it and learn it without losing focus on my comic and leisure hobbies like gaming.

You've always been an awesomely eager-to-help person around here, and I appreciate the offer, but I just don't see myself trying to pick up GML again. I'd rather try learning Fusion or giving game design a final forfeit to focus that much more on comics.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » October 9th, 2016, 12:12 pm

I'm actually quite interested in hearing about issues in game engines, including RPGM! It helps me avoid problems in my own code and reminds me of functionality I've forgotten I need, without having to waste time playing with that engine myself. Like right now I'm coding an event system for things like level-changing and achievements, but one that's less pervasive than RPGM's where just about everything is an event and nothing has any autonomy. Wouldn't have thought to do it without hearing about how other engines do it, I would've done some crazy game-specific system for switching levels like in Endless >>

I thought GameMaker was also mostly GUI-based, with GML required only for logic that's too complex to create using their GUI? At least that's what their website claims.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » October 9th, 2016, 1:06 pm

eishiya wrote:I thought GameMaker was also mostly GUI-based, with GML required only for logic that's too complex to create using their GUI? At least that's what their website claims.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Guides and devs I looked up always tended to hammer in the idea of "learn GML, forget the GUI." which makes Fusion feel like a breath of fresh air, not to mention 15 bucks for hundreds of dollars worth of software is a pretty fun buy either way.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games